MaverickM11
Topic Author

AA Interest In Selling Eagle?

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:59 am

Given the other major carriers' interest in spinning off their wholly owned subsidiaries (ie CO and Express Jet, DL and Comair, etc.) is there any interest at American in selling American Eagle?
E pur si muove -Galileo

ssides

RE: AA Interest In Selling Eagle?

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:08 am

I don't think so. Given the size of the Eagle operation, I doubt they could sell it off in one piece. It would probably have to be sold in sections, roughly one for each aircraft type (CRJs, ERJs, Saabs, ATRs, etc.)

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that Eagle consolidated its operations buy purchasing the Eagle carriers. Now, the only independent airlines in the AA system are the Connection carriers that came with the TWA acquisition.

Given the rise of RJs on previously mainline routes (DFW-MSP, ORD-ATL, etc.), Eagle is probably responsible for too much AMR revenue for them to spin it off.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:13 am

"Given the rise of RJs on previously mainline routes (DFW-MSP, ORD-ATL, etc.), Eagle is probably responsible for too much AMR revenue for them to spin it off."

Revenue, yes, but also costs, and I wouldn't be surprised if those costs are bigger than the revenue. I would think having all your express product served by mostly one carrier would be a major liability for a major, not to mention a potential source for a lot of cost cutting by simply selling it off and/or having it bid on American Eagle work.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ckfred

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:18 am

If AA keeps getting hammered by high fuel costs and sees a significant reduction in unrestricted cash, I could see AA shopping part or all of the Eagle operation. If and when that situation arises, selling Eagle isn't an option.

By having Eagle as a subsidiary of AMR, it gives AA a lot of flexibility to tweak its schedule.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:39 am

"If AA keeps getting hammered by high fuel costs and sees a significant reduction in unrestricted cash"

That time is not now?

"By having Eagle as a subsidiary of AMR, it gives AA a lot of flexibility to tweak its schedule.
"

By selling Eagle it could gain cash as well as hammer down operating costs for its small jet provider...so the rationale goes.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos