Boeing 777-400
Topic Author

Pilots Access To Flight Plans

Thu Apr 06, 2000 4:19 am

A UAL DC-10 pilot told me that he had a program or something that told him what the routes were for every United flight. Is this kind of information only available to the pilots? Is it even true that pilots could give out the flight routes to non-pilots?

RE: Pilots Access To Flight Plans

Thu Apr 06, 2000 6:14 am

You can get these but the best way to get them is to ask the pilot. I have a couple from a buddy of mine.
Iain

OPNLguy

Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:00 pm

These routes were probably generated internally at UAL, and are thus the product of their own flight planning system. Don't know what data format they're in, or if whatever program they're used for is available to the general public.

Most routes are very easy to figure out, in that one either:

1/ Files the pref route in the AFD (airport facilities directory), or

2/ File the shortest route based on distance or winds aloft.

Both scenarios assume that one is using SIDs(DPs) at the takeoff point, and STARs at the landing airport.

If you have some specific city-pairs, I'll see what I can find for you...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Boeing 777-400
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2000 10:14 pm

I am interested OPNLguy.... E-mail?