junior1970

Difference Between Different Checks

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:25 am

What's the difference between all the checks that airplanse go through. I know that at a D-check the plane is being stripped from its paint and that every single bolt is checked.
How long do the different checks usually take ?

Thanks for your input.

VS045

RE: Difference Between Different Checks

Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:38 am

I really wish someone would answer this - cos it has been bugging me for a while too!

Cheers,
VS045
4 engines 4 long haul

Dalmd88

RE: Difference Between Different Checks

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:41 pm

It can vary by the airlines approved program. I know Delta's programs vary by aircraft type. I work on the MD88 HMV line. Our 88's fly for six years between heavy checks. They only get a overnight visits for basicly lube jobs between heavy checks. The heavy check lasts about a month, and no the plane does not get stripped of paint. It is a very detailed inspection of the airplane though. All areas get looked at for corrosion and structural defects. It is also a good time to do any extensive mods on the plane, like adding a hud system or changing the interior.

Other types, like the 737-800 only get PSV checks. These checks are only a few days long and spread the heavy check items out over the same six years. Our 767/757 fleet get a hybrid of the two.

Go over to the Tech/Ops board and do a search. This topic has been covered over there in a lot more depth.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos