aviationwiz

SAA Closer To Formally Joining Star Alliance

Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:47 pm

I'm not sure how much closer they are to joining Star Alliance, but when I was looking at WLG-SYD-JNB airfares, a UA flight came up in the list of flights to take, it was UA9553, a NZ operated WLG-SYD flight.

I also looked up JNB-ORD, and it came up with US & UA flights from JFK.

Does anyone know when they will formally be in Star Alliance, because it appears to be pretty close at hand.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

Leskova

RE: SAA Closer To Formally Joining Star Alliance

Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:03 pm

Did you check the permitted routings of these fares? Perhaps they were only permitted on routes operated by Star Alliance members... or they've already included SAA because there's simply no reasonable other way to fly that route, even though SA isn't a member yet.

Quoting Aviationwiz (Thread starter):
but when I was looking at WLG-SYD-JNB airfares, a SA)">UA flight came up in the list of flights to take, it was UA9553, a NZ operated WLG-SYD flight.

But we already know that NZ is a Star Alliance member - so a United flight operated by NZ isn't really a surprise...

Quoting Aviationwiz (Thread starter):
I also looked up JNB-ORD, and it came up with US & SA)">UA flights from JFK

They might have better timings or better connections due to usage of the same or closer terminals...

I'm not saying these things aren't a part of SA joining Star, I just wouldn't put more emphasis on them than they deserve - even knowing of these points, I'd say it could easily be 6-12 months before they are officially a member.

Regards,
Frank

[Edited 2005-03-27 11:29:41]
Smile - it confuses people!