contrails

New AA Meal Service

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:03 am

Has anyone had one of AA's new $10 sandwiches (A turkey wrap)? Is it any good, or do you recommend stopping at TGIF/Au Bon Pain (DFW) or wherever to get something better?

Thanks.
Flying Colors Forever!

AA 777

RE: New AA Meal Service

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:12 am

Contrails,

The sandwhiches are only $5 with the snack boxes costing $3...

-Matt
CRJ-700 FO

Carfield

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:09 am

Yes, AA sells turkey wrap for lunch/dinner, and turkey croissant for $5 on transcon and Hawaiian flights, in addition to the snack boxes for $3...

I will recommend purchasing something else before boarding your flight.

Carfield

AA7573E

Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:46 am

They are good, and on a long flight, they hit the spot. Is it five star first class dining...no. Is it supposed to be...no. It serves its purpose.
See you up front!

N659AA

Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:58 am

Heck, if you're going to spend $5-$8 for a bring on board meal, I recommend Panda Express.

You know what they say about Chinese Food....Its just like Sex. Even bad Chinese food is pretty good.  Big grin

Starlionblue

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:09 am

Quoting N659AA (Reply 4):
Heck, if you're going to spend $5-$8 for a bring on board meal, I recommend Panda Express.

You know what they say about Chinese Food....Its just like Sex. Even bad Chinese food is pretty good.

It's good until you have to spend 30 mins in the onboard crapper... Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

uswyjer

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:31 am

Flew BDL-DFW-BDL recently and they served the $3 snack box on both legs, and were big sellers on both legs. In the box was a pack of salami slices, some wheat crackers, couple of small cheese packets, bag of Ocean Spray orange Craisins, and a pack of Oreos. Not bad at all for $3, and hit the spot for some munchies on the flights.

alb222

Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:42 am

Quoting Uswyjer (Reply 6):
Flew BDL-DFW-BDL recently and they served the $3 snack box on both legs, and were big sellers on both legs. In the box was a pack of salami slices, some wheat crackers, couple of small cheese packets, bag of Ocean Spray orange Craisins, and a pack of Oreos. Not bad at all for $3, and hit the spot for some munchies on the flights

This is the "new" DL enhanced free snack pretty much. No more BOB starting 4/2.

GSPSPOT

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:00 am

I thought BOB was a win-win for everyone. Why are airlines dropping it already?
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

Orion737

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:29 am

A transcontinental flight from JFK to West coast at 5+ hours duration needs a full hot meal not a snack box or a minute sandwich. These 'snacks' are adequate for shorter flight but I cant believe a 5 hour flight dosent include a hot meal tray.

jetstar

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:00 am

On my lflight from LAX to JFK a few weeks ago, I knew they had gone to BOB so we decided to brown bag it and stopped at a Subway for a decent meal to bring on board. Because of a snow storm, JFK was backed up so the captain decided to go to BWI and we sat there for almost 3 hours before we took off for JFK.

With this ground delay the FA’s handed out all the box snacks and turkey wraps to the passengers so we got to try them. My advice, bring your own food on board, they are not worth the money.

The box snack was just that, a couple of cheese packets, crackers and salami slices with a few other tidbits. The turkey wrap, if you like turkey wraps which I do not, while edible just wasn’t filling enough. They are selling these things even on 9 hour flights to Hawaii and they are no replacement for the hot meals they used to serve.

If AA is going to sell food on board, then have a decent selection to choose from. Someone at AA, who must like turkey wraps has decided that everyone has to like them. During the flight, which was full, not that many passengers bought these items, which means they were not happy with the selections. During the ground delay everyone who asked for a snack box or turkey wrap got one for free so I can imagine how many would have been thrown out after the flight if we were not delayed.

Most of the passengers carried their own meals on board, like we did so I would rate this BOB program a failure.

The best way to show your displeasure is to boycott these BOB programs, the more they throw away, then maybe some MBA suits at AA will get the message that it is costing them more money in wasted food then when they were serving meals. At least on Southwest or Jetblue their snacks are free and you can get seconds if you are hungry.

Orion737

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:08 am

A 5 hour flight and you NEED to eat. The airlines should be providing a meal, be it free or charged, it should be available. A minute Turkey sandwich or a 'snack' wil not suffice on a long flight, people are going t get hungry and not everyone will have fetched a cooked lunch with them.

A meal should be available!!!

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 am

Quoting N659AA (Reply 4):

I've avoided that place ever since my mom ate there at the T1 food court at ORD. She found this nasty lump of hair in her food. When she brought it back up to them they said "oh..you want some more?". HAHA
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

AA7573E

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:54 am

Odd that WN has been doing transcons for many years now, and they have never served a meal on any of their flights. Yet the success of their service is unquestionable.

Five hours does not mandate a meal. If you want a meal, bring one with you, buy the offering on board, or get a first class ticket. Otherwise, you get what you pay for, and on the majority of flights in the US, that means you get no meal. What's the big deal?
See you up front!

FLY2LIM

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:42 pm

I find it very interesting how people will change their opinions just to bash something.
All of a sudden, Subway is now synonymous with a "good meal". Jeez, I can't think of anything worse than Subway to describe a "good meal". Hey, I like Subway, but I don't consider it a "good meal", just enough to get by.
All of a sudden, a turkey wrap (no one has discussed the size) is not filling enough, but the "hot meals" on AA were. If I recall correctly (and I have eaten DOZENS of AA's meals), the plates were TINY. No one would feel full with such small portions. The salad was a few shredded pieces of lettuce with some stale dressing. The dessert was edible half the time. However, some people now make them sound like gourmet meals. By the way, I always ate the meal, mainly because I don't like to complain. When I pay $500 to go r/t SFO-LIM, I am grateful to get anything.
Finally, people talk about buying food at an airport restaurant, like a TGIF. Has anyone eaten there recently? You cannot get out the door for less than 10-12 dollars. Compared to this, a $5 sandwich isn't all that bad.
Funny how people will say anything just to bash.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

malaysia

Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:54 pm

When I fly AA, I bring my saved Southwest Snack Boxes onboard to use.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

AEROFAN

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:13 pm

just flew jfk/lax return. I would advise to bring your own stuff to eat. 5 hours with only 2 turkey wraps will not hit the spot if you are hungry.

RogerThat

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:16 pm

AA's 3 buck snack box should be renamed the junk food box. Nothing but empty calories. If the schools handed them out, the parents would surely protest.

I'll take a subway meal any day. Its filling and tastes great. Beats their first class slop any day.

FLY2LIM

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:28 pm

Quoting RogerThat (Reply 17):
AA's 3 buck snack box should be renamed the junk food box. Nothing but empty calories. If the schools handed them out, the parents would surely protest.

I'll take a subway meal any day. Its filling and tastes great. Beats their first class slop any day.

As a teacher, I can tell you that the schools do hand empty calories each day, he he he. You should see some of the stuff that is served there.

As far as a Subway meal, I agree on both ends. However, it is not what I would consider a "quality" meal. It's filling food that will cost more than the wrap, even if you get the "meal deal".

My main point was how people will change their tune just to bash something. People used to complain left and right about AA's hot meals, and now they are calling them a suitable replacement to the wrap.

FLY2LIM

RogerThat

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:42 pm

People just like to b.tch. They b.tch about the food. They b.tch about not having food. I can't point any fingers because I b.tch about everything too.

Whoever runs your school cafeteria needs to be slapped. I thought Gov Arnold was going to get those California kids whupped into shape.

TACAA320

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:54 pm

Quoting AA7573E (Reply 13):
If you want a meal, bring one with you, buy the offering on board, or get a first class ticket.

Typical AA mentality. If you want food, bring your own. If you want a pillow, bring your own. What's next. If you want a seat, bring your own?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

ckfred

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:39 pm

My wife flew ORD-SEA earlier this month on a morning flight. The gate agent made the announcement about Buy on Board, but couldn't describe the snack box and said she had a picture at the desk. No one went up to look.

The F/A announced that the flight was Buy on Board and tried to describe the snack box. She finally said that there was a picture in the American Way magazine.

My wife went back to the coach lav about an hour before landing and saw a sheet taped in the galley. It was for food purchases and had 12 tick marks. The flight was an MD-80, and all 115 seats were full. So, just over 10% of the passengers bought the $3 snack box.

My wife spend $4 at McDonald's at ORD and got an Egg McMuffin, hash browns, and coffee, which she considered a much better value.

I have two suggestions for AA. First, allow passengers to order and pay when they buy the ticket or check in. Second, offer more choices. I frankly would prefer to pay a higher fare and get a free meal, but I would like a choice of a full meal, a hot snack, or a cold snack. By cold snack, I mean a salad or a deli sandwich. By deli sandwich, I mean a sandwich on rye, wheat, or white bread, and not the puny little sandwiches in the Bistro Bag.

bjg231

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:13 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 18):
My main point was how people will change their tune just to bash something. People used to complain left and right about AA's hot meals, and now they are calling them a suitable replacement to the wrap.

True, but complaining about a bad meal and then complaining when its replaced with an option that is far worse isn't simply bashing.

If I thought the pillows on AA were too small, I'd probably complain about them being removed as well. Just because something you don't like is changed doesn't mean it was changed for the better.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

N1120A

Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:31 pm

Quoting Contrails (Thread starter):
Is it any good, or do you recommend stopping at TGIF/Au Bon Pain (DFW) or wherever to get something better?

Go for something at the airport/on the way. Much better stuff

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 1):
The sandwhiches are only $5 with the snack boxes costing $3...

Kind of like the sandwiches F9 and CO give away and the snacks boxes WN gives away?

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 9):
A transcontinental flight from JFK to West coast at 5+ hours duration needs a full hot meal not a snack box or a minute sandwich. These 'snacks' are adequate for shorter flight but I cant believe a 5 hour flight dosent include a hot meal tray.

Well, I am surprised AA has dumped meal service on their flagship service, but UA and CO still serve meals on West Coast-NYC routes

Odd that WN has been doing transcons for many years now

Not that long actually

they have never served a meal on any of their flights.

But they give away large snack boxes that are crap for you but can fill you

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 14):
All of a sudden, Subway is now synonymous with a "good meal". Jeez, I can't think of anything worse than Subway to describe a "good meal". Hey, I like Subway, but I don't consider it a "good meal", just enough to get by.

Good meal is relative FLY2LIM. Sure, you are not going to Nola, Spago or Matsuhisha, but you are getting food that is much more filling than airline food and that is much better for you
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

contrails

Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:25 pm

This has been a good discussion. Thanks to all. I guess I'll be shopping for lunch between flights at DFW.

I was wrong on the price of the turkey wrap, it is indeed $5.00. Sorry for the error. It didn't look too appetizing anyway.

I can understand the airlines wanting to save money by not providing hot meals any more. I wish, however, that they would provide something more substantial and appetizing than a turkey wrap. I think they should have a different policy for flights across an ocean.
Flying Colors Forever!

Blackhawk144

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:02 am

AS has great food for most of their flights. They usually serve some kind of sandwich on 2+ hour flights. However I will say that their transcon coach meals are pretty skimpy as far as how they fill you up, but they are good!

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

adh214

Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:46 am

I had the breakfast snack box on a DFW-BOS flight last week. It included Bagel Chips, Cream Cheese, a breakfast bar and a package of strawberry flavored cranberries.

For $3 I felt this was a good value and other the cranberries I eat the whole thing and found it good. It is much better than the Bistro Bags they use to have.

Now if I had a 9 hour flight to Hawaii, I would definitely bring something on board.

Andrew

ltbewr

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:25 am

If I am correct, CO still serves a moderatly filling hot sandwich, reduced fat potato chips a side of chilled mac salad and 2 Pepperage Farm cookies on transcons. That was my experience last August/ September EWR-SEA-EWR.
I do agree that there should be choices as to snack packs if airlines are going to sell them and to include more 'healthy' choices. For example: carrot sticks with low fat dip or low fat fruit bars, fruit cups.
While Subway isn't the greatest, with care one can get choose sandwiches prepared with low fat meats (Turkey), 'veggie' (no meat), no cheese, low fat dressings and choose baked chips or pretzles to go along with it or choose a salad platter. One can get salad platters at McD's and other fast fooders at the airport or along the way to the airport.
I have brought food/sandwiches with me on a flight a few times before and snacks and water or soda with me too or eaten just before a flight so I can bypass the in-flight food or as none were served.

laca773

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:41 am

1). I was really surprised AA implemented these purchase turkey snack wrap crap on transcons. I thought they had more business/PR sense to offer passengers something more especially if they are going to have to purchase the junk they're serving. I could see this snack box crap being purchased on a short hall [two hours or a little more like LAX-DFW]

2) These buy snack junk boxes are provided complimentary on Jet Blue, and Southwest on their transcons. And from what I understand, Frontier offers even more than that on their longer trips. Plus Jet Blue, and Frontier offer complimentary IFE. What's better? AA, Jet Blue [B6] or Frontier [F9]? I guess it depends on how you look at it but actually the LCC's offer more in the way of inflight service if you sit down and look at them all...

3) It's surprising to that their main competitor out of LAX and SFO to JFK, IAD, & BOS is UA. They still offer full meal service on their transcons. I took their P.S. from LAX and got a very low RT ticket and the meal was upgraded in Y compared to their other transcons. UA wins buy a long shot. There's no comparison anymore between the two at this point and time. Their P & J cabins have a much more superior product than AA does. Hats off to UA for trying so hard even in direr [sp?] financial straits.

4) DL will offer more [Song] in the line of buying food on board as well when they take over the LAX/JFK, SFO/JFK from mainline and offer a far superior product to AA. As well, CO offers a great product compared to AA as well, nicer equipment and friendlier flight crews [and I have yet to hear anyone on CO talk about their drug issues while having group sex like they do on AA].

5) Finally does anyone know if there are managment people from AA and etc., that read these forums/threads and then take them back to their planning meetings and tell the rest what people really think???

Have a great day everyone.
LACA773

ckfred

Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:12 am

LACA773:

I would assume that some management people at AA read these threads, but there is no guarantee. I'm in the process of drafting a letter to the CEO, from the perspective of an AMR shareholder.

Perhaps if enough flyers told AA what they thought of the new food program, AA might make changes.

I always read that AA surveys its frequent flyers. I've belonged to AAdvantage for nearly 15 years and have never received a survey. On the other hand, I signed up my toddler on AAdvantage in 2003, and he did get a survey about BOB.

I answered the survey from my perspective, rather than that of a 2-year old, since there really isn't much in the BOB boxes that I want him eating.

N1120A

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:01 am

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 28):
Plus Jet Blue, and Frontier offer complimentary IFE.

AA also offers their IFE free last I checked. F9 charges $5 per segment for the use of LiveTV, while B6 does it free (they own the company)

Quoting LACA773 (Reply 28):
[and I have yet to hear anyone on CO talk about their drug issues while having group sex like they do on AA].

And this is a problem why?  Big grin
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

qqflyboy

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:44 am

Not that AA hasn't done their research... that same turkey wrap has been served on domestic first class lunch flights for years and is one of the most popular items AA has ever served. You can't please everyone, but at least AA has come up with something that they've gotten very, very positive feedback on. I'd take a cold, fresh wrap anyday over some pre-frozen and reheated meal.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

FLY2LIM

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting RogerThat (Reply 19):
Whoever runs your school cafeteria needs to be slapped. I thought Gov Arnold was going to get those California kids whupped into shape.

RogerThat:
I guess you too have been brainwashed by the Arnold spin machine. From the perspective of an educator, the only "change" Arnold is making is that he is reducing the funding at every school, and taking money away from bond measures passed on by voters. It's sort of what AA is doing, cutting the meal while expecting the same level of satisfaction from its "students" (aka, passengers).
By the way, the kids usually throw away a large portion of their meals because they are so bad, usually.

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 29):
always read that AA surveys its frequent flyers. I've belonged to AAdvantage for nearly 15 years and have never received a survey. On the other hand, I signed up my toddler on AAdvantage in 2003, and he did get a survey about BOB.

My 9 year old is often inundated with offers for credit cards, flowers, and such. I guess they pick randomly. Too funny.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):
Good meal is relative FLY2LIM. Sure, you are not going to Nola, Spago or Matsuhisha, but you are getting food that is much more filling than airline food and that is much better for you

What nutritional guidelines are you following to make such a claim, that Subway is "much more filling and better for you"? As you said, it's all relative.

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 21):
My wife spend $4 at McDonald's at ORD and got an Egg McMuffin, hash browns, and coffee, which she considered a much better value.

Did she consider the high fat content of such a meal? I think we are talking somewhere in the 1000 calorie range, along with lots of fat grams. You guys are making the suits at AA sound so darn smart.

RogerThat

Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:16 pm

Speaking of Ckfreds wife, her McDonalds meal of Egg McMuffin and hash browns tallys up to 430 calories and 20 grams of fat. That's one of the best breakfast decisions she could have made at McDonalds. I'm assuming she takes her coffee black.

The worst breakfast decision at McDonalds would be the sausage egg and cheese McGriddle with 550 calories and 33 fat grams.

If you're eating fast food everyday, quit that habit or get ready for a heart bypass.

Continental

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:04 pm

Sort of on topic, but how are the meals transatlantic? I'm flying AA this summer overseas from JFK, what will the meal be like?

ckfred

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:30 pm

RogerThat:

Shouldn't I have a choice of something healthy or unhealthy when flying? AA used to serve Total on breakfast flights. I wrote a letter to customer service saying that if I want to eat bland cardboard, I'll eat the Frosted Flakes box. Please offer a cereal with sugar. Better yet, do like Piedmont used to do and offer Krispy Kreme donuts.

RogerThat

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:39 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 35):
Shouldn't I have a choice of something healthy or unhealthy when flying?

You absolutely should.

When Jeff Katz, current Orbitz CEO, was VP of Food Service at AA, he re-vamped the onboard meals to include healthy and non healthy choice. For breakfast: choice of heart-stopping cheese omelet or cereal with low fat milk. Katz is tall, trim and a runner and thought most people would feel the omelet wasn't worth the calories.

These days, the more the old legacys spend on food, the more money they lose. Until pricing power returns, plan to pack a lunch or chow down at the airport food courts as your Mrs did (I was complimenting her choice).

But I'm sticking by my DONT EAT FAST FOOD motto. Watch Supersize Me if you haven't already.

amhilde

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:18 am

Continental- What class are you flying in? I just took Y ORD-CDG and the meal was i guess ok- standard chicken or beef with random carb and vegetable and a cake-product for dessert. Im used to VS and I thought THEY had been cutting back in the past few years, but then I tried AA and realized how much i missed the cheese and crackers and nice service of VS in Y. The preland in Europe I dont remember, maybe yoghurt? I remember raisins.... Coming back I dont remember that either- cept the pizza before landing which was very cute and ok enough. And some grapes which were nice and cold and juicy.

I would recommend bringing maybe a little bit more food with you if you are the type to get hungry on long flights because their food wasnt quite enough for me. Course then again, the next flight on AF was even more pathetic... hmmm...

Summary- Its decent, but no VS in Y standard  Smile
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

IAHTowTeam

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:57 am

OK, this is what I don't get....doesn't AA, DL, US know that it could lose more passengers than it gains from going the way of the LCC? A turkey wrap for a flight to Hawaii, for sale??? Are they mad? I didn't realize that AA had started that. All fingers point to CO not going that way and I hope they don't change their mind. Providing food for PAX on your flights is a big indicator on the quality of product you provide, as long as the food is somewhat descent. I can't imagine if I paid a full Y fare on an AA flight and still would have to buy a meal. That's pretty pathetic. Thank God for CO not following in the footsteps of the industry. So CO still serves meals at mealtime and now is going to get the the B787? I love it! Keep it up CAL!

mats

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:27 am

I'm curious to see how this will pan out. Conventional wisdom has argued that passengers complain about meal service but it will not make or break their decision to fly on a particular carrier.

But these catering cuts seem a bit extreme. I'm shocked at how many full-service carriers have eliminated complimentary meals: American, Austrian, Northwest, SAS, and Swiss come to mind.

In my opinion, flights from Dallas or Chicago to Honolulu deserve at least one hot meal, if not a meal and a snack. Transcon flights are certainly worthy of one hot meal service.

But the airlines aren't thinking. They're in panic mode. In times of severe financial hardship, they'll cut just about anything.

I'm really curious to see if there will be a backlash. Will passengers eventually say, "Yeah, we get hungry on long flights. We're flying on this particular carrier because food is served."

ckfred

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:22 am

Mats:

I ran an idea past my father-in-law, who spent 20 years in the corporate world, before getting his Ph.D. and teaching college business for 20 years.

I maintain that airlines do not have to match the lowest fare from Southwest, JetBlue, or any other carrier, provided that a) they provide customer service and in-flight amenities that are superior than what an LCC provides and b) they don't try to gouge business flyers the way they did in the 90s.

My father-in-law agrees. He cites many retailers that successfully compete with Wal-Mart by providing better service, better merchandise, etc.

RogerThat:

I actually own stock in McDonald's, so I don't have a problem with people who enjoy eating fast food regularly.

Here's the problem with eating at an airport. First, unless I'm traveling with my family, getting food is a pain. I usually have a carry-on, a briefcase, and an overcoat or trench coat. So, getting fast food is easy, since it fits neatly in a bag, can be eaten out of the bag or placed on my lap, and is not all that messy.

I could eat in the food court in the AA terminal at ORD, but there are often no empty tables, an it's virtually impossible to hear P.A. announcements due to the noise.

There are two solutions: put appealing food back on the planes, or put tray tables in the seats at the gates.

The point that I was making is that the AA snack looked very unappealing compared to a McDonald's value meal. The snack did not look visually appealing the photo in the American Way magazine, and for the amount of food, it was overpriced compared to McDonald's value meal.

My wife probably can count on 1 hand the number of times she eats fast food for breakfast annually. But with the length of the flight and the time change, she wasn't going to eat lunch until after 2:00 CT. The snack wasn't going to fill her up. The McDonald's meal did.

I don't have a problem with the concept of lighter meals on shorter flights. My problems with the Bisto Bag were a) that I had to carry it aboard myself (refer back to the amount of stuff that I carry on an airplane) and b) the sandwiches were awful. I probably eat more turkey sandwiches than any other kind, but AA's had soggy rolls, wilted lettuce, and dried-out cheese, and they were kind of small. If AA used better ingredients and put them on slices of rye or whole wheat, people wouldn't have complained so much.

FLY2LIM

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:30 am

Quoting RogerThat (Reply 36):
When Jeff Katz, current Orbitz CEO, was VP of Food Service at AA, he re-vamped the onboard meals to include healthy and non healthy choice. For breakfast: choice of heart-stopping cheese omelet or cereal with low fat milk. Katz is tall, trim and a runner and thought most people would feel the omelet wasn't worth the calories.

AA has served the omelette/cereal combo on their SFO-MIA departure in the morning since I can rememer, at least 15 years. No kidding. Not sure how "innovative" Katz's idea was.

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 40):
I maintain that airlines do not have to match the lowest fare from Southwest, JetBlue, or any other carrier, provided that a) they provide customer service and in-flight amenities that are superior than what an LCC provides and b) they don't try to gouge business flyers the way they did in the 90s.

Well, if they did that would lose me as a customer to WN. I'll take a 99 r/t to anywhere over $200 and good service.

FLY2LIM

gothamspotter

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:04 am

Does AA still offer real meals on trans-Atlantic flights?

Continental

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:46 am

Quoting Amhilde (Reply 37):
Continental- What class are you flying in?

I'm flying economy Y. The flight leaves at 6:35 pm JFK-BRU. I'm assuming I'll get similar if not the same meals.

amhilde

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:13 pm

is that 767 service then? That was a comfortable enough jet I guess.. hell for the price i paid it got me there and back in one piece, though the legroom seemed much better on the way back. Actually the plane coming back was quite comfy. Then again, 8 hours to ORD compared to the almost 11 insanity of LAX is a very nice change  Smile

GothamSpotter- It was food in a tray and that was about it. Nothing like what VS serves in Y at all.
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

IAHTowTeam

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:50 pm

[quote=FLY2LIM,reply=41]Well, if they did that would lose me as a customer to WN. I'll take a 99 r/t to anywhere over $200 and good service.

FLY2LIM[/quote

Try going CO through Houston, we still serve meals at mealtime and the food is actually pretty good! Going from AA to Southwest would definitely be a turn in the opposite direction. How many conx's would you have to make for that route?

VSlover

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:53 am

yes AA serves meals in the main cabin to europ, japan, latin america, and mexico with a duration of more than 2 hours.

i still find it totally unacceptable that they have a wrap/sandwich for sale on the ORD-HNL route! i mean that is an 8hr+ flight and is much longer than JFK-LHR for example.

kevi747

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:03 am

First, allow passengers to order and pay when they buy the ticket or check in.

AA responds: We reviewed the option of "pre-paying" when we introduced for buy on board. However, we did not want to set expectations that we may not have been able to meet, like promising a passenger a special meal that never made it on the plane.

I frankly would prefer to pay a higher fare and get a free meal,

Everyone always says that, but its not what people actually do. When purchasing tickets, price is the sole determining factor for MOST people.

This is a very new service for us and it's already being adjusted. They are already introducing new choices:

IN ORDER TO KEEP OUR BOB PROGRAM APPEALING, WE WILL INTRODUCE
SIX NEW FRESH SANDWICHES. THE SANDWICHES WILL
CYCLE ON A MONTHLY BASIS.

THE NEW AM SANDWICHES ARE:
1/ A HOME-STYLE EGG SALAD WRAP.
2/ A HAM AND CREAM CHEESE SANDWICH ON RAISIN BREAD.
3/ A CLUB CROISSANT SANDWICH.

THE NEW PM SANDWICHES ARE:
1/ A HAM AND CHEDDAR TWISTER CLUB SANDWICH
2/ A ROAST TURKEY, CRANBERRY AND BRIE WRAP
3/ A TURKEY PESTO WRAP.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

TACAA320

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 46):
yes AA serves meals in the main cabin to europ, japan, latin america, and mexico with a duration of more than 2 hours.

Well, I recently flew MIA/SJO and MIA/MEX. Just pretzels!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

jmy007

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:41 am

Always have to chuckle about this topic.
When the airlines were providing meals, people complained about the quality.
When the airlines stopped providing meals, people complained that there was no food.
When the airlines brought back food for purchace everyone complained that it was too little for too much money.

Kind of funny  Smile
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos