nycfuturepilot

Comair NY Crew Base

Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:26 pm

A pilot told me last week that Comair is opening a crewbase in NYC sometime soon. Is this true? If so, how will they do it, do pilots get transferred from the CVG base or will it be a mix of transfers and new highers? Will comair expand NYC service because of this? Which airport will be officially listed as the base or will it just be NYC?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

146crew

RE: Comair NY Crew Base

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:07 am

I don't work for Comair, but generally when an airline opens a new crew base it is usually because there are such a large number of crew members overnighting in a station and it makes more sense to have a domicile so the company doesn't have to pay for a hotel. Also, in most collective bargaining agreements the airline must first award positions in a new base on seniority order, once no more crew members have that base as their first choice they will either displace the most junior person from another base only if that base is being downsized or place new hires in that domicile. Because I don't work for OH I can not answer your question regarding expanded service. No airport would usually be listed as "the base," there would be 2 bases CVG and wherever else they have a crew base.

Hope this helps a little. Hopefully someone at Comair can shed some more light on this.
Cross check complete.

VgnAtl747

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:12 am

I know we are opening several new crew bases, not sure if one of them is in NYC or not. One of my fellow customer service agents is dating a flight attendant, and she said that they have to bid on these routes/bases. Higher seniority bids first, so 146Crew is correct in that aspect.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

ERJ170

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:14 am

Comair new bases--- CVG, GSO, JFK, MCO/TPA.. announced about 2 weeks ago or something like that..
Aiming High and going far..

VgnAtl747

Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:23 am

ERJ170, that sounds right. I can't remember from the memo exactly what they were, but that sounds right...
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

nycfuturepilot

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:14 am

What kind of expenses come with opening a new crew base? I'm no expert but it seems to me that it may be kind of stupid for an airline to go from one crew base to four in such a short time. wouldnt it make more sense for them to open another, see how that works then open a third then a fourth?

does OH have more flights out of JFK or LGA? Anyone willing to write out which cities they serve out of each airport?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

ERJ170

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:23 am

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Reply 5):
What kind of expenses come with opening a new crew base? I'm no expert but it seems to me that it may be kind of stupid for an airline to go from one crew base to four in such a short time.

Well, lets see..

GSO - opening a new maintenance base (also a maintenance facility at RDU so covers 2 airports in one)... (combined, probably about 50+ daily flights)

JFK/LGA - over 70 flights daily...

MCO/TPA - large DLConn locations and will probably pick up more routes when they get the E70...previous base..

Expenses.. well, if you compare putting all these crewmembers in a hotel for the night versus them driving up from their house.. opening bases where there is already significant OH traffic.. I see no expense problem.

I don't see what's the matter...

nycfuturepilot

Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:29 pm

ERJ170- isnt there some planning that goes into it and hiring cheif pilots etc? There have to be some costs.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

ERJ170

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:54 pm

Probably, but the cost of the planning and execution is probably less than the benefits of having the crew bases.. but that is just my opinion...

B4REAL

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:07 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 3):
Comair new bases--- CVG, GSO, JFK, MCO/TPA..

OH used to have a base in MCO IIRC. Once they dropped the turboprops flying mostly within Florida for Comair, I think they marked Comair ops at MCO as ´limited´in the press release paving the way for RP to boost up DL Connection ops at MCO.

Now, Comair probably has more ops then they did in early 2001 at MCO.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds