Safe Landing After Pilot's Heart Attack

Thu Apr 06, 2000 6:42 pm

German press note from April, 6th/11:00 a.m.
Although the pilot of a KLM Fokker 70 suffered a heart attack, he was able to land the aircraft in Paris with 75 passengers on bord safely.
After landing of the Fokker the pilot had been taken to the hospital. A short time later, the pilot died.
(Source: German press and KLM)

cricri

RE: Safe Landing After Pilot's Heart Attack

Thu Apr 06, 2000 7:05 pm

Only one thing to say : GOOD JOB Captain! You're a heroe for those 75 passengers and for me too.

kaitak

Thu Apr 06, 2000 7:23 pm

Many years ago (possibly in the '60s) the captain of a DC8 - KLM also - suffered a massive heart attack. This was on the final approach; thankfully, the first officer was able to land the aircraft safely.

RE: AA DC-10 At EWR, Same Thing

Thu Apr 06, 2000 8:02 pm

It also happened on an American Airlines DC-10 flight into Newark (EWR) from Los Angeles (LAX) a few years back although I don't know precisely when.

The plane was literally seconds away from touching down when the Captain just died! Fortuanately the F/O was able to grab the controls and safely land it.

If anyone can remember this actaully happened that would be nice, I want to say maybe 10 years ago????

AAR90

RE: AA DC-10 At EWR, Same Thing

Thu Apr 06, 2000 8:55 pm

AerLingus A330 wrote:
-------------------------------
It also happened on an American Airlines DC-10 flight into Newark (EWR) from Los Angeles (LAX) a few years back although I don't know precisely when.

The plane was literally seconds away from touching down when the Captain just died! Fortuanately the F/O was able to grab the controls and safely land it.
-------------------------------
1987. DC10 incident was at completion of west coast all-nighter. During final approach Captain simply didn't respond to First Officer callouts as plane slowly drifted off proper course/glideslope. When deviations became too large without corrective effort the FO looked over to see the Captain's head slumped forward with both hands still on the controls. FO took control (below 1000 feet AGL) and landed the plane while the FE pulled Captain's shoulder straps back so the Captain's body wouldn't push the control yoke forward. During landing rollout the FE called the Flight Attendants forward and they began CPR as the cockpit crew completed safe rollout and called for medical assistance. Captain did not survive.

I recall this well since I had viewed an AA training video that demonstrated this exact scenario although in B727 not DC10 (i.e. Captain quits flying on short final with no other indications).

Just a few years ago an AA MD80 diverted in west Texas when the FO experienced a major heart attack during climb. If memory serves, Captain went from 33,000 feet to stopped on the runway at Midland-Odessa airport in less than 10 minutes.

There have been a couple of other incidents at other airlines I vaguely recall in the past 13 years but I don't recall any details. One of the major reasons airline travel is so safe is the number of backup systems required to be operating before the aircraft is dispatched. That includes the number of pilots. ;-)

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

RE: AAR90

Thu Apr 06, 2000 9:07 pm

Thanks AAR90 for the info! I knew someone would clarify that!

The incident had made the national news which is how I heard about it, pretty bizarre and tragic obviously since the captain did not survive.

I never knew that pilots had training for that kind of situation although now that I think about it it is a damn good idea since it happens more than anyone wishes to think!

Thanks again!

Pacific

Fri Apr 07, 2000 8:01 am

I heard that a pilot of a cessna flying over the Philippines to Manila died in mid-flight of a heart attack and a passanger had to take over. He managed to land the plane safely into the sea.

Boeing727

Fri Apr 07, 2000 9:43 am

Several years ago a BA B744 from Heathrow to Hong Kong experienced the same problem; the captain had a heart attack and died while en-route; the FO made a safe landing....

Boeing727

B727

Fri Apr 07, 2000 10:58 am

You are a bit misinformed with the BA flight. It was actually out of Hong Kong when the captain had a heart attack. As the flight was so long they had a complete extra crew who landed the plane.
Iain

VirginA340

Fri Apr 07, 2000 12:31 pm

These are all valid reasons why all airlines should have defibulators and heart monitors and flight attendents to be trained to use them. So far American ,US Airways, Delta, Virgin, British Airways and Qantas has them. Almost all these incidents could have happier endings if all airlines had these devices. I think after the FO heart attack on the MD-80 thats when AA started to equip it's over 700 planes with them. Can anyone else tell me if other airlines have the defibs other than the ones I stated above?
"FUIMUS"

Fri Apr 07, 2000 11:59 pm

This brings to mind a message in this forum just last week regarding a Tower Air captain who had a heartattack aboard a 747. It seems this happens more often that we realize.

KALB

Sat Apr 08, 2000 12:09 am

Unfortunately, not all incidents of this nature end with safe landings. In 1970 a BEA Trident en route LHR-BRU crashed during climbout. The pilot had a heart attack following labor issue argument with another BEA pilot prior to departure. My family lost a good friend who was a passenger on the flight.