NWAFA
Topic Author

Continental's Pilots Ratifed New Contract

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:01 am

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - Continental Airlines' pilots on Wednesday announced they have ratified a new 45-month contract with the carrier, a move that will save more than $200 million a year.

The Air Line Pilots Association said that about 93 percent of the eligible members voted, with 58 percent, or 2,139, for the new contract and 42 percent, or 1,525 against. Importantly, if the other unions also voting on new contracts reject new terms, the pilots union can change its stance.

The carrier's mechanics and flight attendants are among the other organized workers whose votes will be tallied Wednesday to see if they want the new cost-cutting contracts.

The pilots contract will save $213 million annually, they said.

Company management and union leadership had earlier reached tentative accords.

The airline this month made clear the stakes of the vote, emphasizing that further cuts and reductions would have been needed if the unions rejected the accord. See full story.

So far this year, Continental (CAL: news, chart, profile) shares are down about 19 percent. They participated in a broad sector rally, however, on Wednesday. See full story.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

NWAFA
Topic Author

RE: Continental's Pilots Ratifed New Contract

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:05 am

Does the Flight Attendants vote come out today or tomorrow?

avek00

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:08 am

IINM, all of the vote tallies should be out sometime today.
Live life to the fullest.

ewrw4co

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:16 am

Hey,

i didn't get to vote.
Working Hard

EA CO AS

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 am

According to the various reports I'm reading, the Flight Attendants narrowly passed their contract, the pilots passed theirs, and the mechanics passed by a wide margin.

Congratulations to all CO employees - this is definitely good news, as your company will grow and thrive going forward.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NWAFA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:48 am

What reports are you hearing about the Flight Attendants? Nothing has hit the major wires yet.

Hope the FA's don't approve it.

A340Spotter

Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:57 am

From the street.com's pilot story, it's been updated for the following:

"The airline's 100 flight dispatchers also ratified a new contract designed to save Continental $736,000 annually, the Transport Workers Union, which represents the dispatchers, confirmed Wednesday."
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

avek00

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:01 am

I had little doubt that the Faithful Workers of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines would heed the wisdom of Dear Leader Larry Kellner.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 5):
Hope the FA's don't approve it.

Just curious to know why you feel that way.  Confused

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Lemurs

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:38 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 8):
Just curious to know why you feel that way

Check some of NWAFA's posts (espc when in close proximity to AnnoyedFA's posts) and you'll see why.

My take: You find disgruntled employees everywhere. Just don't let them skew your view of the entire company, because they're not the only employees there. You have to take the sum of your experiences and work with that.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:46 am

I bet Annoyed FA is spinning right now . . . I pity whomever will be aboard his flights for the foreseeable future . . .

Congratulations Continental Airlines and the employees of this fine (and my favorite) air carrier! What an great step forward. . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NWAFA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:59 am

Lemurs

From the looks of it your not even in the business. So until you are then you have no right to even pip up on something you know NOTHING about.

Guess everyone that takes a paycut will have all their bills cut too. Guess the price of everything will come down

Sean-SAN-

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:34 am

CO pilots went from the worst paid (pre- 9/11) to highly paid (post 9/11 pay cuts at all the other airlines)... I wonder where this puts them now? Hope they at least got some stock.

Cory6188

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:36 am

Oh brother...this will definitely be interesting to see how things pan out...I sincerely hope that AnnoyedFA and his five aliases aren't on my CO flight STT-EWR on Saturday. I will be very curious to see if the F/A's attitudes change at all with the cut in pay - I had a very good experience with the crew on the flight down here...

ContinentalCLE

Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:38 am

Continental pilots approve new contract
By BILL HENSEL JR.
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
Two unions at Continental Airlines said today their members approved new contracts giving the Houston carrier hundreds of millions in cost cuts.

Unions representing pilots and mechanics union announced this afternoon and evening that their members approved wage and benefit concessions Continental has been seeking. ADVERTISEMENT

The pilots union, however, said final acceptance of its agreement hinges on favorable votes other Continental union groups on contracts that also include concessions.

The other groups include flight attendants and dispatchers. All the employee groups finished voting Wednesday afternoon. Additional announcements are expected later today.

Continental set today as the deadline to achieve $500 million in wage and other cuts from employees or it would be forced to make deeper reductions to avoid bankruptcy.

The concessions to come from the unions represent about $330 million of the total. The cuts for non-union employees had been previously detailed.

The pilots union, composed roughly of 4,000 pilots, approved a new contract by a 58 percent-to- 42 percent vote.

"This pilot group has a record of leadership at Continental and again has stepped up to help the company survive by accepting concessions of $213 million annually," Capt. Jay Panarello, head of the airline's pilots union, said in a statement.

"However, any concessions from this pilot group have always been based on the condition that all employee groups share in the cost cuts."

Mechanics and related workers, represented by the Teamsters, voted 72 percent to 28 percent margin to ratify a new agreement. The contract covers about 3,430 workers.

The Teamsters didn't detail how much its employees gave back in cuts, instead emphasizing what it did for workers.

"This contract strengthens workers' positions at Continental Airlines," said Don Treichler, Teamsters Airline Division Director. "This is a difficult time for airlines, but we fought hard to include job protections -- including a no-furlough clause -- that these skilled, hardworking Teamsters deserve."

The contract includes caps on workers' health insurance costs, a clause that prohibits loss of jobs through furloughs and stronger language in the case of bankruptcy.

Left unchanged during negotiations with management were their 401(k) plan, sick leave and vacation time.

CLEfan

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:45 pm

Well, it doesn't matter if the pilots passed their TA, because the FA's rejected theirs. And since the pilots agreement hinges on the acceptance of the other groups, its no deal.

I guess you can kiss those 787's good-bye.

A340Spotter

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:54 pm

CLEfan,

Source for the FA rejection???

The same goes for EA CO AS, source for the ratification by a narrow margin?

No news is curious news...

JSD

coa764

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:00 pm

Right off their web site
http://www.iamdl142.org/co3_30_05.htm

[Edited 2005-03-31 08:11:00]
Please oh please Mr Moderator Nazi, dont delete my thread.

pl4nekr4zy

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:09 pm

Okay I'm confused. Conflicting reports as to whether or not the FA's passed their new contract...
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

A340Spotter

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:29 pm

See Coa764s link...that's the answer unfortunately.

JSD

Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:52 pm

I am to understand that the FA's out in AIRMIC will also reject the proposal.

CALMSP

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:48 pm

NWAFA........coudl you be any more negative....so they turn this down....what do they gain? nothing....now we will come back and ask for more concessions......for all those who voted no.....must not have thought about it to much.....the fa's are not losing that much....

scotron11

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:07 pm

No way would CO walk away from the Boeing deal. Well done CO. Hopefully something with the FA's will be worked out.

Now, when does PEK start? Are they still going to start LOS? (Can someone tell me why they want LOS?)

Cheers!

CALMSP

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:10 pm

yeah in our press release it states....that we will still take delivery of all aircraft originially planned. which is great.....only thing is now FA's will be required to give more than initially being asked.

PanAm_DC10
Crew

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 pm

The 787 order and new deliveries of 753s will go ahead. Great news, A U.S. Carrier turning itself around. Good luck to them.

Regards
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

A340Spotter

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:56 pm

Scotron 11,

The EWR-PEK service starts June 15th as CO89, departs Noon, arrives at 1345 the following day.

Cheers!
Jeffrey

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:24 am

Read this passage from the IAM website:

The IAM-Continental Airlines tentative agreement has been rejected by a majority of the membership.

The rejection means that Flight Attendants have lost the negotiated two percent base wage increases due in both 2007 and 2008, the pension increases that would have exceeded forty percent, the enhanced job security provisions and the Continental stock options Flight Attendants were entitled to receive.

Translation? "Do you morons have any idea what a stupid thing you just did?

Well, now CO's offers from here on out can only get worse. Way to go, flight attendants. By the way, that bloody thing you see on the ground in front of you is the nose you just lopped off with a butter knife.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

avek00

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:36 am

The malcontent FAs who voted against this deal shall be dealt with decisively by the Dear Leader. Some time in the Houston re-education camps would do them well. The rest should fall in line or else face massive furloughs to bring costs down.

IAHTowTeam

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:07 am

EA CO AS....you are right. I am pretty dissapointed in the flight attendant group. It is inevitable they would have to take a cut, they are just delaying the inevitable and now because they have chosen to put it off they are getting screwed....and you know what....it's their own fault! I was on the bus next to one the other day on my way to work and heard this flight attendant complaining about having to pass out pillows and blankets.....if their are any flight attendants reading this.....try loading over 200 bags on a 757 going to Lima, Peru, where every bag is at least 70lbs. After you have wiped all the sweat off of you and gotten therapy for your back, then we'll talk about how hard your job really is. Suck it up!!! You just screwed yourselves!

CALMSP

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:12 am

IAHTowTeam......careful their buddy.....make sure you get your numbers straight...........its 350 bags weighing 100 lbs a piece!!!!!! to LIM!!

IAHTowTeam

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:19 am

LOL....yeah...I just meant in 1 bin...most of the time I didn't load both and yes there difinietley were bags heavier than 70lbs. Point being--the flight attendant group needs to try doing a ramp workers job for a day. They would find a new appreciation for thier job!

[Edited 2005-03-31 17:23:36]