Propman
Topic Author

There Is Another Side To The Budget Airlines

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:38 pm

ie they can and do alter flight times to suit them, not you.

EUJet have just emailed me to tell me that they have cancelled our booking on a 17.40 flight from Manchester to Manston on 26-5-05 and only substitute leaves at 09.00! This is just about OK, but they've also cancelled our return flight, which was due to leave at 16.05 on 30-5-05 and sole substitute is at 07.25!

I've no doubt their terms and conditions allow them to do this, but it does show that it isn't quite like flying with a big scheduled airline, though I think even they occasionally alter/cancel flight times-see "Air Canada=bastards!" thread.
Jets are for kids

noelg

RE: There Is Another Side To The Budget Airlines

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 pm

Jeez that kind of sucks! Did they not give you the option to cancel your booking and get a full refund, or at least change your dates?

Noel.

trb10

Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:51 pm

That in my opinion is the price you pay for travelling on LCC, you pay peanuts you get monkeys Embarrassment Hence why wherever possible I fly on BA. Although having said that my local airport is a big Flybe base and I do use them frequently and they have only changed my flight times once but offered me a full refund or change of dates at no cost to me so couldn't complain.

justplanesmart

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:59 pm

All airlines include this disclaimer regarding their flights:

"Schedules subject to change without notice."

In this case, you did receive notice.
"So many planes; so little time..."

Braybuddy

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:24 am

Doesn't only happen with budget airlines! This can happen with any carrier.

brons2

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:35 am

Well, if you choose a "budget" airline with lots of frequency in your market, then this wouldn't a problem. Since you are in the UK, what about Ryanair or EasyJet, both have huge fleets with lots of frequency.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

AMSSpotter

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:12 am

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 5):
if you choose a "budget" airline with lots of frequency in your market, then this wouldn't a problem

The problem is that none of those airlines serve Manston int'l. The alternative would probably be to fly from Manchester to either LHR, LGW or STN (on another airline) and to catch one or more trains to either Ramsgate or Canterbury (both near Manston).
It would probably be easier to do the entire trip by train or car (if EUJet were no longer an option).

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:17 am

Just about any air carrier will allow you a full refund if you decide not to travel because the new schedule doesn't work to your liking, within reason of course - a 15 minute schedule change won't get you a refund, but a 2 or more hour one probably will.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:18 am

Umm, any airline can change its timings to suit them. How would they change their timings to suit the passenger? Everyone would want different times! I do believe that notification of the change(s) should be standard and that a refund should be offered if the new timings are not OK with you.

[Edited 2005-03-31 18:19:05]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BestWestern

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:47 am

Well, perhaps you havent been reading about how badly EUJet have been doing? What can you expect from a second rate LCC.

Oh, and its not just crap LCC's like EUJET. AIR NZ have cancelled a flight in April on me. Next flight 36hrs later. Just grin and bear it! or get a refund - which is really useful if you are stuck in PPT. (although I'd prefer to be stuck in French polynesia than Manston of all places.)
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!