STT757
Topic Author

Continental To Take Delivery Of Additional Boeing

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:52 am

CO got most of the cost cuts they needed, the mechanics and pilots have agreed to their cuts even though the Flight attendants voted no.

CO Unions have approved $418 Million in cost savings, CO management set a $500 Million dollar goal.

With the $418 Million in annual cost reductions approved CO will go ahead with the acquisition of 8 757-300s this Summer from Boeing (ATA birds), and the accelerated delivery of 6 737-800s next year and to take delivery of 10 787-800s starting in 2009.

Here's a link to the article, and an excerpt about the aircraft..

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050331/nyth088.html?.v=5

"Continental to take delivery of additional Boeing aircraft

With the implementation of the ratified agreements, Continental is confirming delivery of the aircraft under its previously announced Boeing aircraft order. The company will now grow by leasing eight Boeing 757-300 aircraft starting this summer and accelerating delivery of six Boeing 737-800 aircraft into 2006. These aircraft will provide the opportunity for Continental to further expand its international network while supporting its domestic system. The airline also will acquire 10 Boeing 787 aircraft beginning in 2009."
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

NWAFA

RE: Continental To Take Delivery Of Additional Boeing

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:58 am

That is just sick! Talk about not having any respect for the employees. "We are having financial proglems, we need your help"...employees give them then what do they do go out and spend more money.

SICK!

It is just like the scene in the movie "Mommy Dearest" when Mommy does the crying game that we are broke and need to save money and needs help, then goes out on a spending spree.

Good for the FA's for NOT taking a paycut....it was subpost to be "to save the company" and not or a spending spree!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

CALMSP

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:00 am

do you realize anything about the airline industry or any industry for that matter....in order to make some money you need to spend some money.....it is very clear on why we are taking these aircraft....these 757s will be used in place of domestic wide bodies and 757-200s that can be freed up to fly internationally so we can generate revenue.....where have you been? wake up and read the news......i suggest you get info before you make some idiotic remark like this post

NWAFA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:02 am

Guess 25 almost 26 years of being in the business doesn't count for much CAL. Oh I read the news every day...and your company (just like mine) is saying they are in trouble..that they need our help to "SURVIVE"...then what does your company do, slap you accross your face and start shopping.

Sorry the "it takes money to make money" argument does work here....

Lemurs

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:02 am

All I can say is, I will never hire a F/A to run my company.

The gall of CO...wanting airplanes when they could be hiring more employees to carry customers around on their backs!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

NYC777

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:18 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):
That is just sick! Talk about not having any respect for the employees. "We are having financial proglems, we need your help"...employees give them then what do they do go out and spend more money.

SICK!

You really don't know anything about running a business do you.? I guess that's why you're a flight attendant.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

NWAFA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:24 am

NYC777

Its called honsty and respect..which the CO employees drank the Kool-Aid for many year..and it appeared to be true until now...and all of them have had their face slapped over night.

TWFirst

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:26 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):

SICK!

Sweetie... put the bloody mary down.

Now, you need to understand what the word "survive" means in this context ... it doesn't mean just staying out of bankruptcy or avoiding liquidation... it means CO management are making STRATEGIC DECISIONS for LONG-TERM survival and LEADERSHIP in the industry... not just to be a US or UA or TZ barely keeping its head above water type of company.

Although your airline is also well-managed... your "brothers and sisters" at CO should be thankful they work where they do.

THINK about it for a sec.... is management going out and buying chandeliers for their offices? NO. Installing jacuzzis in the Presidents Clubs? NO. They're buying airplanes.... hey, guess what... they're an AIRLINE. They fly those things to places... filled with paying passengers. And guess what else... bitchy FA's like yourself have to work those flights... so guess what that means... there's a job there to be done. MAKE SENSE?
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

NYC777

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:29 am

Sorry but the airline unions have run the major airlines into the ground with the huge pre 9/11 pay raises that they got now they don't want to give it back in the face of all the turmoil, wht do they resort to...crying like whinny little children. That's why US and UA are heading to a smoky hole in the ground and DL is not to far behind. Go ahead an whine some more and see how long your job lasts.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

IAHTowTeam

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:35 am

Somebody needs to slap you in the face NWAFA! You just don't get it do you? NOBODY IS KEEPING YOU FROM LEAVING! NW would be better off and we would too if you just left, stop talking, shut your mouth! It is evident that you know nothing about the business and have no eye for growth in an economy like this. It is possible and the only way to make money is to send our airplanes overseas. The only way we could free up some of our 757-200's is to bring in 757-300, which increases our domestic capacity and ASM's and our 737-800's, which also helps with our bottom line. That's it, the B787's let the world know we are not like everyone else and that there is something different about Continental. Now, go jump in one of your DC9's and ride it all the way to Mojave. Oh yeah, NW called, they also want you to stay out there and watch their airplanes for them. Have a nice flight!

NWAFA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:38 am

Thanks for the respectful response. That type of response is just what a group of us are talking about at the moment. Flight Attendants have respect for themselves and want to have healthy behaviors. Flight Attendants don't do the "us against you" thing like the Other work groups love to do, thats why they are not interacting with passengers and instead are on the ramp. In baggage claim.

TWFirst

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:40 am

But there are SEVERAL FA's who should NOT be interacting with passengers and SHOULD be working on the ramp.

NWAFA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:43 am

I agree with you on that TWFirst, I have seen and worked with some.

N1120A

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):

You know we agree on things NWAFA, but here, CO told the employees exactly why they were asking for the cuts, so they could bring in more efficient planes and those that would give them more international capacity and range, allowing expansion on their bread and butter. I think the way CO is planning on treating their FAs now that they rejected is not a good thing, but the overall plan to bring in more efficient aircraft using the savings to return to profitability and in turn improve employee pay, etc. is the point of all this.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TWFirst

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:49 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 12):
I agree with you on that TWFirst, I have seen and worked with some.

Believe it or not, I can't say I've witnessed any NW FA's that fit that category... at least for several years now. I love flying NW (but am flying CO to MSP next weekend  Wink)

NWAFA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:49 am

The CO Flight Attendants are very producitve. They don't have any duty days. (For those not in the industry - a duty day for Crew is: They could be on duty 8 hours, but the actualy flight time is 1.5 hours they ONLY get paid for 1.5 instead of 8 hours of duty time).

AA7573E

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:58 am

NWAFA always spouts the same line. If it is not going to her paycheck, then it is bad. She is likely very good at providing top notch cabin service, but her 26 years of working in the cabin, has provided her little perspective on what it takes to keep the airline running. Her posts on irate passengers and service related topics are interesting, but her posts regarding the business of commercial aviation are worthless.

I applaud Continental, for being the only major in the country in a position to order new aircraft, and accelerate deliveries of previously ordered ships. Furthermore, their ingenuity on opening up thinner international routes with the 757 is pretty sharp too. Way to go!
See you up front!

MaverickM11

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:58 am

"They could be on duty 8 hours, but the actualy flight time is 1.5 hours they ONLY get paid for 1.5 instead of 8 hours of duty time)."

Whose fault is that?

""We are having financial proglems, we need your help"...employees give them then what do they do go out and spend more money."

They were well aware of this from the beginning. CO made it clear that in order to fund expansion it would need cost cuts. If you are surprised then you haven't been paying attention.
E pur si muove -Galileo

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:06 am

SICK!

Stop. Just stop. You're wrong, and I think you know it.

Whenever the company expands, it's a good thing.

Whenever the company gets new aircraft, it's a good thing.

Whenever the company hires new employees because of expansion, it's a good thing.

The only thing that's bad here is that CO's flight attendants decided to roll the dice and bet they could turn down their tentative agreement in hopes of a better deal.

The deals will only get worse for them from here on out - something even the union leadership all but acknowledged in their press release.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

drerx7

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:22 am

NWAFA is a very very bitter person, The cuts needed to be done to insure some resemblance of job security.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

NWAFA

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:28 am

That is the furthest from the truth Drerx7. Far from bitter.

PHXinterrupted

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:34 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 10):
Flight Attendants have respect for themselves and want to have healthy behaviors.

LOL See ya in the hotel bar on your next layover!
Keepin' it real.

burnsie28

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting IAHTowTeam (Reply 9):
which increases our domestic capacity

At the same time, the domestic market, in which 753's would be used is not the "money making markets" most like low yeild unprofitable routes.

NWAFA- At the same time, NW just ordered more A333's. While I think NW has more of an argument then CO does, we still ordered. Also, one thing that I believe NW was the only one to do, is continue aircraft deliveries as scheduled after 9/11, I think even WN pushed back some, so in some respect, this is not that bad. Just wait for that NW 787 or A350 order in the coming months, I would assume that its likely to happen.  Wink

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:42 am

At the same time, the domestic market, in which 753's would be used is not the "money making markets" most like low yeild unprofitable routes.

Which, in many cases, connect traffic to the higher yielding international routes.

And lest we forget, CO is using the 753 for these low-yield routes which has the lowest narrowbody CASM in the world - meaning they're using the best possible aircraft for that high density, low yield traffic.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Mikey711MN

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:56 am

Actually, NWAFA, isn't your profile a collection of, like, 5 FA's? If so, are you speaking for yourself or for your "group"?

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:57 am

I think that's AnnoyedFA who suffers from "multiple user disorder," not NWAFA - even though they seem to parrot each other.  sarcastic 

Dokken10

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:30 am

Didn't TWA buy new A/C to replace their older fleet. If I remember correctly they were having serious money problems before and they got worse after buying the new A/C.

N1120A

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:44 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 25):
I think that's AnnoyedFA who suffers from "multiple user disorder," not NWAFA - even though they seem to parrot each other.

Actually, they are completely different. ANNOYEDFA hates life, their airline, other airlines, passengers, pilots, living a decent life, WN and pretty much everything else. NWAFA just gets passionate about things and does not always think things through, though means well all the time

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 26):
Didn't TWA buy new A/C to replace their older fleet. If I remember correctly they were having serious money problems before and they got worse after buying the new A/C.

Well, considering one blew up in the air because of an unfound defect, and they were still flying 741s on LAX-STL, a change was in order. Also, they had to do something to try and recover from what Carl Ichan did to the airline.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

drerx7

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:48 am

Oh ok--I'm sorry NWAFA--I did indeed confuse you with Annoyed FA; however I totally disagree with your whole argument on this thread. Its painful but that is the nature of the industry in 2005.

graham697

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:50 am

Quoting Dokken10 (Reply 26):

That is a completely different situation, one Continental is/was not in an all out survival mode, but they are now working to secure their future. TWA was trying to reinvent itself, which in business can fail, thats the product of a free market system. TWA was also burden with so many other obligations... *cough* Carl Icahn *cough* and then 9/11 and the general downturn in the industry. TWA did what was right when the ordered the planes, but it quickly turned bad, ala ATA.
Looking forward to the new AA

Danny

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:54 am

I don't think that increasing capacity is the best way to secure the future. Maybe Boeing's future yes but not Continental.

CALMSP

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:57 am

increasing capacity in international markets so we can generate revenue? yes it is a good idea for the future......look at it this way....take a 752 off a domestic route and put it towards international business......then replace the 752 with a 737-800 and an RJ and you can get the same seating capacity, but the revenue you can generate from the 16 business first seats are huge, and will overshadow any sort of income on a domestic route.

Danny

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:02 am

Yeah - more RJs. Is that going to generate profit? I don't think so.

And the number of European destinations within the range of 752 is not endless. If they need to increase flights on international routes why not take some 767s from the desert? Would be waaay cheper. Does this have something to do with the fact that CO execs are ex Boeing execs?

[Edited 2005-03-31 21:03:37]

DAYflyer

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):

Your lack of business accumen is horribly apparent with this statement.
 blockhead 

They are not trying to screw the employees. They must grow the international network using cost effective aircraft to generate revenue. Hence the 787 and 757-300.

In case you have not figured this out yet, they do not have the money to do this with the weak revenue (prices) and yields (profits) that the domestic US market is providing. Therefore, in order to get more money coming in to the coffers for the new aircraft that will save the airline, the employees will have to help.

Of course, never mind that it the long run it will mean more f/a, pilot and ground crew jobs at the airline. Some of your friends and former co-workers may even get recalls when the planes come into the fleet. And when these aircraft start making CO some money, even more will come back.

In short, it is an investment in the future health of the airline. Management actually would like to keep it around for a while you see; hence keeping people employed.

Nurses, Physical Therapists, Engineers and just about every other profession on the planet has undergone this type of draconian change at some point. The world of the airlines are always turbulent and volatile.

What is sick is when people like you would prefer for these hard working people go on strike (or something else just as dumb) so that the airline ceases business operations and then NOBODY has a job.  mad 
One Nation Under God

drerx7

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:07 am

Its almost like people are not listening. The reason these aircraft are coming online is to expand internationally. The 753s and 738s will be deployed on routes that the 757s will be taken off of. Those 738s will probably see duty in Latin America as well, the 787s will pick up where those '767s from the desert' would fit in. While the number of European destinations is not endless--they still lack the service right now. Continental is matching capacity with demand--some of those cities (TXL, etc.) may not be able to support the capacity of 767s anyway. Come to think of it, the only 767s on the 2nd hand market that CO would even consider are 763s--the 762s that are being retired are old old airframes.

EA CO AS

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:07 am

I don't think that increasing capacity is the best way to secure the future.

But logically, the more segments you fly and the longer you fly, the more miles you can spread your fixed costs over - meaning CASM drops. Continued growth is what helps airlines keep their costs low.

The problem today isn't a matter of too much capacity, but that it's spread over too many carriers. If a large network carrier (like UA) were to fail, the remaining carriers would fill the void left by them resulting in lower CASM for the surviving carriers.

IAHTowTeam

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:11 am

Thank goodness CAL started all of this mess ahead of the game. By that I mean, flying to more international destinations, CASM on the low end and quality of service on the high end. There is still room for tweaking but again I am glad we aren't choosing to file for bankruptcy just because it is an option.

STT757
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:28 am

The 757-300s will replace 757-200s that are being reconfigured for International flying, the real growth comes from accelerated delivery of 6 737-800s and the 10 787s which will not be delivered untill 2009.

So it's modest growth were talking about here, spread out over the next several years.

ScottB

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:34 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):
Good for the FA's for NOT taking a paycut

The contract proposed to the Continental FA's didn't include cuts in base pay rates. But it's not like NWAFA would let FACTS get in the way of his/her stream of rhetoric. To quote the news release from IAM District Lodge 142:

Quote:
Your Negotiating Committee mandated no hourly base rate reduction, enhancing pension benefits and security, and providing job protection. These goals were all achieved.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much NWAC management is going to ask its FA's to give back. I hope that it makes the US Airways demands look generous.

dl021

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:58 am

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):

They need the airplanes to increase volume, especially as margins grow thinner. Sorry if you don't get it.

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 3):
Sorry the "it takes money to make money" argument does work here....

Too bad....because its the way of the business world. Airlines have to stay competitive and have to meet the customers expectations.

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 3):
Guess 25 almost 26 years of being in the business doesn't count for much CAL.

Yeah, well the guy who has been the janitor at my old high school for 30 years doesn't know how to be the principal either. Calm down.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

UH60FtRucker

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:00 am

My god... NWAFA has to be one of the most shrill, indignant, brooding employees I have come across!

NWAFA exemplifies the "me-centered-mentality," or as an old professor of mine called it, cranial rectal inversion. A lot of you made some excellent rebuttals to his comments, however I fear they may be in vain. It is a typical symptom for people suffering from CRI to be deaf to rational thought that contradicts their own beliefs. In other words, ain't none of this getting through to him!

I cannot understand the combative attitude some have towards the company they work for. As though the two are ancient rivals facing off on a dark battlefield. They suspect every company decision to be a plot to undermine the employees. They see management as the enemy and not to be trusted. They have zero trust in the company. They are insulted by any business initiative/decision that does not place the individual employee first.

Many of these people typically are also your conspiracy theorists. They trust no one except those in their tight circle of unhappy, miserable friends. And when it is suggested that they leave their company for one more to their liking, they shriek in anger about how they will do nothing of the sort! They've worked there for 25 years! They've put in hard time and been faithful and loyal! The company OWES them! The company should be BOWING before them, begging for them to stay!

Yet alas, when that does not happen, the final product is NWAFA.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

swaluvfa

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:53 am

Don't yall see......NWAFA just wants a rise out of yall.....AND YOUR GIVING IT TO HIM!!! lol......just ignore his dumb prospectives......he's mad cause his airline is parking planes and his SkyTeam partner CO is ordering planes!.......he's just mad and jelous that CO is getting the 787 and not NWA!  Smile

corey07850

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:21 am

Quoting Lemurs (Reply 4):
The gall of CO...wanting airplanes when they could be hiring more employees to carry customers around on their backs!

Quoting DL021 (Reply 39):
Quoting NWAFA (Reply 3):
Guess 25 almost 26 years of being in the business doesn't count for much CAL.

Yeah, well the guy who has been the janitor at my old high school for 30 years doesn't know how to be the principal either. Calm down.

Bravo Gentlemen.... I'm still laughing  thumbsup 

COAMiG29

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:02 pm

will CO ever have 747s again or are they done with them. i know N-33021 is now Continental coke as are all of the other Co 742s will they aquire the 747 adv for long flights or are they staying with the 777 and 787?
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

STT757
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:06 pm

The 787-800 with it's range will probably be used to open up more Asian flying from EWR and IAH, 777s to the first tier Cities (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing) and 787-800s to the next tier (Nagoya, Seoul, Taipei, Osaka etc..).

Falcon84

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:08 pm

Quoting NWAFA (Reply 1):
That is just sick! Talk about not having any respect for the employees. "We are having financial proglems, we need your help"...employees give them then what do they do go out and spend more money

NWAFA, you obviously don't understand business. Even in bad times, you don't stop planning for the future, and doing what you do. In our business, it's looking for new routes, and keeping equipment updated. According to your logic, CO should buy NOTHING for the next few years, because it asked for paycuts. Business doesn't work that way. Had CO not got these paycuts, CO would be laying off employees, cutting routes, cutting fleet, and with US as a "role model" you would know that's no way to try to get stronger in the future.

And you obviously don't realize that without a viable business plan, CO couldn't do much in the future. You only see things from your warped, lazy, union-PR world. Fortunately, that isn't the real world.

And, from reading some of the replies, you seem to be an island of ignorance in a sea of common sense.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

UAMAYBACH1239

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:20 pm

CALMSP From United States, joined Aug 2003, 1020 posts, RR: 5

do you realize anything about the airline industry or any industry for that matter....in order to make some money you need to spend some money.....it is very clear on why we are taking these aircraft....these 757s will be used in place of domestic wide bodies and 757-200s that can be freed up to fly internationally so we can generate revenue.....where have you been? wake up and read the news......i suggest you get info before you make some idiotic remark like this post

It is one thing for CO to explore new routes with existing a/c but to take additional a/c right now in this industry is unacceptable. Look at the very reason why they are picking up the a/c the other carrier could not afford them.

CO is a very respectable Airline and partly because of wise decision making,
this is not one of those times. The cost alone to implement these planes into the fleet , crew, maint, your in the millions already. If you are struggling to keep your head above water, you do not take on more debt.  confused   confused 
a/c flown 737-222/322/522 757/747-1-2-4, 767-2-3, 777-2-3, A319-20, DC10-10-30, L1011-3-5, 727-222adv, MD85-90 flyourfri

STT757
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Quoting UAMAYBACH1239 (Reply 46):
The cost alone to implement these planes into the fleet ,

Boeing's picking up the tab of reconfiguring them to CO standards, including interiors and paint.

bigb

Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:57 pm

Quoting UAMAYBACH1239 (Reply 46):
The cost alone to implement these planes into the fleet , crew, maint, your in the millions already.

The 787 payments will not start still delivery.
753s reconfigs are gonna be funded by Boeing, another words, CO just take delivery of the aircraft and start flying and paying the leases.
Crew, and maint costs are still minimal due to the fact that these birds already are flying in the fleet.
ETSN Baber, USN

CALMSP

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:47 pm

UAMAYBACH1239......you have got to be joking right? do you realize that most people on this forum understand why we are picking up these aircraft? you obviosuly have no clue whatsoever....your raggin on me for having a 5 RR.....you have 0!! go back to supplying concrete pumps bud