4xRuv
Topic Author

LY F/A Fell From The Aircraft Today

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:32 pm

According to Ynet, Israeli online newspaper:
TLV, Friday.
A female flight attendant fell today from an aircraft in TLV bound to ATH when trying to close the airplane's door.
According to the website, passengers haven't boarded yet, and she was closing the door after the catering was loaded onto the plane.
She was seriously hurt in her head, and was rushed to the nearest hospital.
They didn't mention the craft type, but AFAIK LY uses 73G on this route.

If I'd find any English link, I'd attach it later on

UK_Dispatcher

RE: LY F/A Fell From The Aircraft Today

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:42 pm

Not the first time this has happened, and sadly it probably won't be the last. If it was, say a 762 or larger, it could have been even worse - let's just hope she makes a full recovery.

planemannyc

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:16 pm

That is really sad. I guess it is one of those occupational hazards. I hope she recovers fully and fast.

Can't catering crew close the door from the outside?

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

TedTAce

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:32 pm

Quoting 4xRuv (Thread starter):
According to Ynet, Israeli online newspaper:

I wonder why the URL wasn't included as a citation?
I couldn't find the article on www.ynetnews.com or through google

If this is for real, my deepest sympathies and best to the injured F/A.

This reminds me of the incident in Miami where an AA AB-300-600 had a problem, had to make an emergency landing and and FA (somehow) mannaged to get his door open while the plane was comming off the runway. The result was he went out with the door and suffered fatal contact with the #1.

My opinion: Anyone who thinks FA's don't do dangerous work is an ignorant looser.
This space intentionally left blank

4xRuv
Topic Author

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:56 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
I wonder why the URL wasn't included as a citation?
I couldn't find the article on www.ynetnews.com or through google

Ynet is a Hebrew site. I didn't think it would be of interest to the readers.
The English version isn't updated as rapidly as the Hebrew one

TedTAce

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:03 am

Quoting 4xRuv (Reply 4):
Ynet is a Hebrew site. I didn't think it would be of interest to the readers.
The English version isn't updated as rapidly as the Hebrew one

I'd like to have seen the URL, but now that I realize that Google doesn't have a hebrew translator I guess it would be pointless. (I'd have to send the link to my friend to translate it)

If a good status report/update comes out in english, please send me the URL, I'd like to see that her situation works out well.

ly7e7

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:06 am

Quoting 4xRuv (Thread starter):
but AFAIK LY uses 73G on this route

I remember a T7 used once... (also to LCA), not on a regular basis of course.

Anyway , sounds funny. They should tell people not to do it again  rotfl 
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

777STL

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:03 am

Didn't an Air France flight attendent die from a fall a few months ago?

PHX based

AC861

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:59 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 7):
Didn't an Air France flight attendant die from a fall a few months ago?

Sadly yes, she fell when the airstairs were unexpected pulled away from the door she was closing.

CRFLY

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:02 am

I remember the American Airlines FA that died after he fell when he opened the L1 door of an A300 without being deprezurised... The Airbus A300 left Miami to Port-Au-Price and had to return to Miami... The captain ordered evacuation upon landing but apparently the cabin was not proper deprezurized and when the FA opened the front L1 door, he was thrown to the pavement of the taxiway and died =(
With Age comes Wisdom...

todaReisinger

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:09 am

Even on 767s the doors are opened and closed automatically, why do brand new 737s still have such an outdated manual system? An automatic system is also safer for the flight...

It's a weird accident, and it's very sad; I hope she recovers, but to fall on the tarmac from a 737 is extremely serious, even though it's a small plane.

Here's a link in English:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/559957.html
I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

DfwRevolution

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:11 am

Quoting TodaReisinger (Reply 10):
Even on 767s the doors are opened and closed automatically, why do brand new 737s still have such an outdated manual system?

Weight... also an extra item to fail

An automatic system is also safer for the flight...

It's nearly impossible to open a plug-type door in flight regardless of auto/manual.

aa757first

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:13 am

Even on 767s the doors are opened and closed automatically, why do brand new 737s still have such an outdated manual system? An automatic system is also safer for the flight...

The 767 doors are heavier.

While this is a very unfortunate accident, thousands of 737, 757 and 747 doors are operated like this every day. There is no need to change.

AAndrew

PMN

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:16 am

I may be (and probably am) completely wrong on this, but I have a question regarding the incident of the FA being thrown out of a pressurized aircraft on the ground.

Unless I'm mistaken, aircraft at a cruising altitude of 35-40,000 feet are pressurized to around 8.5psi to maintain an artificial altitude of around 8,500 feet. If the aircraft were fully pressurized but on the ground surely the outside pressure would be greater than that inside the aircraft, so if a door is opened there should be an inrush of air to the cabin, not the other way around?

Could someone please clarify this? As a result of my limited knowledge I'm a little confused  confused 

Thanks
Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

UAalltheway

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:30 am

Wow, that's horrible. I've seen quite a few of these stories popup on a.net and it's always sad to read about them.

Quoting PMN (Reply 13):
I may be (and probably am) completely wrong on this, but I have a question regarding the incident of the FA being thrown out of a pressurized aircraft on the ground.

Paul,

I also read about this and asked some people about it and they pretty much denied it could happen. But I do remember that story. A f/a like opend the door of a supposidly pressurized aircraft on the ground and was (allegidly) blown out of the aircraft and landed on/hit the tarmac.

It'll be interesting to get someone over here to try and clarify that for us.

pogo

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:30 am

Quoting AC861 (Reply 8):
Quoting 777STL (Reply 7):
Didn't an Air France flight attendant die from a fall a few months ago?

Sadly yes, she fell when the airstairs were unexpected pulled away from the door she was closing.

As a result AF have since introduced safety procedure that should prevent any similar incidents.

Where as before the steps where removed once the cleaners had come off and the door was shut.

Now the steps can only be removed once the crew have been informed, via the headset, that the steps will be removed.
When in doubt give it a clout

TedTAce

Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:11 am

Quoting PMN (Reply 13):

Unless I'm mistaken, aircraft at a cruising altitude of 35-40,000 feet are pressurized to around 8.5psi to maintain an artificial altitude of around 8,500 feet. If the aircraft were fully pressurized but on the ground surely the outside pressure would be greater than that inside the aircraft, so if a door is opened there should be an inrush of air to the cabin, not the other way around?

It's actually the other way round. There is more pressure inside the A/C then outside. It was a freaky accident that was related to the valve that regulated the A/C pressure ( Still can't for the life of me find any press links). I don't know how but the F/A managed to get the door open (most doors open in nitially, then out) and are almost impossible to open when the cabin is pressurized) when the door went to it's going out part, it took him with it. And he was very proximal to the engine which, well, I don't think I need to continue.

Garri767

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:48 pm

i think a f/a fell out of a hawaii flight when a gaping hole appeared mid-flight and the a/c [boeing]had to turn back to hawaii and landed safely. they say, the only death is a f/a lost at sea [she fell out of the whole at high altitude].
they also say she was sitting in an emergency exit chair completely strapped, closest to the exit, she was sucked out chair and all. tell me if i am right.
feel sorry for all these incidents  Sad
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

TedTAce

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:54 pm

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 17):
i think a f/a fell out of a hawaii flight when a gaping hole appeared mid-flight and the a/c [boeing]had to turn back to hawaii and landed safely

There were two Incidents involving hull breach/rapid decompression around Hawaii that I can think of. One Incident was Aloha Air (737) where the hull covering first class blew off (I want to say a few people went with it). Then there was the UA 747 Cargo Door that as I recall took part of business class with it, and a few pax.

HAWK21M

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:27 am

Very common occurance.
Out here in 1996,A cabin attendent was caught by a Mx personnel after falling from the door.The Mx guy was checking for door closure  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ALB2ATL

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:36 am

The Aloha incident resulted in only one fatality (f/a)