lobster

PAX Weight And More Cargo

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:50 am

Would it be prudent for airlines in this day and age of losing tons of money to measure the weight of pax and their carry-ons so if the a/c came in under weight they could put more cargo on board for more revenue. Would this be possible, assuming weight pax would be very tactfull. Just a thought.

Clipper002

RE: PAX Weight And More Cargo

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:33 am

There's no way this would work. First of all, there is no "tactful" way to weigh someone. But the most cumbersome thing is the additional time required at check-in. How do you weigh a person traveling on an E-ticket or a home printed boarding pass? If all this could be accomplished, at what point do you start loading more cargo ? How bad will the baggage delivery times be at the destination because the bags were blocked in by late add cargo? No, the airlines will keep going with "average" weights. It's just not worth the extra effort and costs that are associated with using actual weights.

Ed
Ed

QANTAS747-438

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:04 am

Actually, that's exactly what we do at Southwest. Assuming full flight and full bags, the max allowed weight for cargo is around 2500 lbs. If we have less passengers, we'll put more on board. Such as our flt. 2484 to PHX, it has a 2500lb max, but one time, it was booked to 48 pax so we put 4000-5000 lbs of cargo on it, and made up and exceeded the lost revenue for pax.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

bearcuban12

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:04 am

Recently, 1 or 2 airlines have upped the average weight by 5 kgs due to people being on average heavier than 20 years ago.

Has there been any incident where a a group of overweight individuals (say a rugby team or a weight watchers group) has travelled on an aircraft together and they have affected the performace of the aircraft?

yago

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:37 am

I don't know if it's a rumour but someone told me that at one point Iberia did weight its passengers.

But it was long time ago.

N1120A

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:47 am

Quoting Bearcuban12 (Reply 3):
Has there been any incident where a a group of overweight individuals (say a rugby team or a weight watchers group) has travelled on an aircraft together and they have affected the performace of the aircraft?

Aircraft weight as well as a faulty elevator tab was pointed at as the main cause of the crash of the Air Midwest B1900 a few years ago

Quoting Yago (Reply 4):
I don't know if it's a rumour but someone told me that at one point Iberia did weight its passengers.

But it was long time ago.

In the early days of air transport, people had to be weighed because airliners were constantly being loaded to their max possible capacity. In these days of much stronger than necessary aircraft, that is just not needed.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ntspelich

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:04 am

Quoting QANTAS747-438 (Reply 2):
Actually, that's exactly what we do at Southwest. Assuming full flight and full bags, the max allowed weight for cargo is around 2500 lbs. If we have less passengers, we'll put more on board. Such as our flt. 2484 to PHX, it has a 2500lb max, but one time, it was booked to 48 pax so we put 4000-5000 lbs of cargo on it, and made up and exceeded the lost revenue for pax.

At one point around the holidays, we had so much freight and mail to move at BWI there was more than occasion when Ops used child weights just to squeeze every last bit into that plane. While it wasn't much it was a batch of mail getting where it had to, which meant us getting paid.

NTS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?