pensacolaguy

AE To Fly O'Hare-Pensacola

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:24 am

This is NO April Fools Joke!
One Daily nonstop flight to ORD starting June 2005  veryhappy , American Eagle has not issued a formal press release but the flight should be in the reservation system by Monday.

I noticed this on http://www.flypensacola.com/airlines.asp were it says "American Eagle flies nonstop to DFW,RDU and *One Daily nonstop flight to ORD starting June 2005*. I emailed the airport (to confirm this) and got a nice response back, and apparently it is true.

I think this is great news, and a great benefit for the Pensacola/Gulf Coast. According to faremeasure.com On average, 153 passengers travel the 794 miles between Pensacola, FL and Chicago, IL each day. The Chicago metro area is Pensacola's 3rd top market. The Gulf Coast region had non-stop service by United Express to Chicago O'Hare from Mobile between November 1999 and September 2001. This service did not perform well for United due to operational constraints at O'Hare, the less then optimum stage length (nearly 800 miles) for a regional jet and limited non-circuitous flow traffic opportunities. No word on the schedule/aircraft type, I'm hoping for a CRJ-700.  airplane 

I also found out that:
No extension is planned for Runway 17/35, only a total pavement rehabilitation which is planned to start by June/July 2005 for an 18 month timeframe.

The airports 2005 PFC Application includes the expansion of the security area along with the inline baggage screening equipment and that is planned to be completed in the 2006-2007 timeframe.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Jenkins

FlyPNS1

RE: AE To Fly O'Hare-Pensacola

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:41 am

Excellent news!!! I think this route will do well. If NW can fly MSP-PNS (1-2 times daily depending on season), then AE can make ORD-PNS work. American Eagle will also be adding a 7th daily DFW-PNS flight on May 1st.

It's amazing how well AA has done in PNS in such a short amount of time. They only entered the market on 11/1/2004. By June, AA will be almost tied with USAirways as PNS's third largest carrier. Already passing by long-time incumbents, NW and CO.

Speaking of CO, looks like there won't be any more CO mainline at PNS. Last summer they had at least one mainline, this summer there is no mainline in the schedule.

No surprise that they won't be lengthening 17/35. It's not needed...7,000 ft is enough for now.

UALGSO

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:15 pm

It's amazing all the e-mails that I have sent to people in revenue management and other departments about starting service to PNS. All they have said is they do not believe IAD or ORD flights do warrant any attention at this time. Thank goodness for AA's new service and US bringing back some mainline flights, you can never have enough flights to Pensacola in my opinion.

ckfred

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:43 pm

That seems like a long flight with an RJ. Hopefully, the flight switches to mainline, even for December through March.

mia

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:57 pm

There is new construction at TLH, I hope AMR is adding service there too!!!
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

pensacolaguy

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Quoting Pensacolaguy (Thread starter):
No word on the schedule/aircraft type, I'm hoping for a CRJ-700.

Well, its finally in the system schedule/aircraft is as follows:
Effective June 9, 2005:
ORD 9:30am PNS 11:45am AA4471 ER4 D
PNS 12:15pm ORD 2:39pm AA4472 ER4 D

Also in other PNS news:
The NDB Runway 35 approach at PNS is on the FAA list for cancellation.
Local GA guys/girls and the navy oppose it being axed.
http://www.pafw.com/ndb_approach.htm

Runway 26 will have a localizer approach once the extension is completed.

MAH4546

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:20 am

Awesome news. American Eagle has done very well at Pensacola. Also, MIA-PNS is definitley being looked at next, and if it gets the go ahead, will launch the first week of December.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos