Topic Author

Upgraded On A Reward Ticket?

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:55 pm

Has anyone ever been upgraded from J Class to C Class when they have traveling on a reward ticket? I am flying on a reward ticket in J Class to IAD from LHR with UA. Has anyone ever been upgraded with UA while on a Reward Ticket?

Veni, vidi, vici.

RE: Upgraded On A Reward Ticket?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:08 am

United don't have a J class, their United Business cabin is either C (full fare/flexible) D (Cheaper flexible) Z (Restrictive/Cheap). Your rewards ticket will probably be issued in NC class, and I would think that it is unlikely that you would be upgraded when you are flying on a non-rev ticket. If they need to bump people up, it would be those who are holding a full C class ticket, and probably Premier Exec, or Premier 1K mileage plus members.

Having said that, you never know your luck, hope you enjoy the flight. I have done LHR-IAD-GIG and back a few times with UA, and I think they have a pretty good Business product

If you were to get upgraded, it would be best if you were booked on the flights operated by 777 or 744, as the 763's don't have First Class Suites installed.

Good Luck, and Enjoy your trip.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:12 am

I've been upgraded once on a reward ticket, flying OMA-ORD a few years ago, being bumped up to economy plus. This was before I'd become an elite member of mileage plus. Best of luck!

Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:12 am

It happened to me once, in many years of flying a lot. Sometimes, if Y is overbooked, they will upgrade from Y to J and from J to F, depends upon the sitauation. I had a very high FF status with the airline, so I got bumped up. Its not usual, paying pax will be upgraded first in most circumstances.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 am

Having been upgraded several times on AA when I didn't deserve it, my recommendation is that you engage the gate agent in some small talk and make him/her smile. Do not mention upgrades, just anything that makes it look like you are a flying enthusiast. Remember to make them smile. This always works for me. It doesn't always get me upgraded but it always gets them in a great mood, and you never know what can happen after that.
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.