MACDADDY
Topic Author

How Bad Is The Shortage Of Capacity In Europe

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:15 am

I say this as an industry watcher but is there a serious shortage of capacity in Europe this summer. With airlines like Aeris, and Volare group going bust trying to sub charter aircraft for sub service and programme coverage is just about impossible.

Can any one say where an airline could source an A320 for the summer season?

If so email me with an offer

MAC
www.plane-sight-images.photoshelter.com

Planesmart

RE: How Bad Is The Shortage Of Capacity In Europe

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 am

Shortage of capacity?

If customer requirements aren't too model/variant specific, the biggest hurdles are $'s, credit ratings (company and directors), bank guarantees, insurance, track record (lack of), crews and slots, not a shortage of aircraft.

sunking737

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:58 pm

Do not be surprised to see a SY 737-800 "Blue Tail" in AMS this summer, flying for Transavia.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

Billy

Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:01 pm

There is a very definate shortage of aircraft in Europe for this summer. This is particularly the case with long haul aircraft. There are odd bits of time available on aircraft but getting anything substantial for a new programme is very difficult (having spoken to a couple of aircraft brokers lately).

yyz717

Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:10 pm

Given the inability of most legacy EU carriers to make a profit consistently, I would argue there is excess capacity, not a shortage.

A true shortage of capacity would result in ALL carriers being very profitable since they would have pricing control over consumers. It's not the case though.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

cornish

Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:12 pm

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 4):
Given the inability of most legacy EU carriers to make a profit consistently, I would argue there is excess capacity, not a shortage.

I think the thread starter was referring to charter/holiday airline capacity rather than scheduled airline capacity. Otherwise, yes you would be right.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MACDADDY
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:05 am

Yes you are right in regards to Legacy carriers.

My thread is primarily aimed at charter and ACMI cover capacity. Billy who do you work for? You are right to saythat there is a shortage of capacity in Long Haul, but at this point i know of only 2 aircraft available for any period of time over the summer. Whats going to happen when ACMI cover is needed.

What are the dates of the sun country flights in AMS?

There general problem is a lack of crews and an increase in LCCs taking up spare capcacity from suppliers.

Again if you know of a spare A320 in Europe - post it here!!!!

MAC
www.plane-sight-images.photoshelter.com