FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

British Airways Schedule Updates - Plus Fleet News

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:21 am

Been a while since I picked through the BA schedules, so here's a summary of changes for the Summer: -

Longhaul

* Highlight of the longhaul schedule must be the planned launch of flights to Shanghai in June. Flights are due to start on Wednesday 1st June with a four class 777, operating five days a week (No service on Tuesday or Thursday).

* Beijing increases to a six times weekly frequency from June with the three class 777, only not operating on a Tuesday. The service is set to return to four times weekly for the Winter.

* Hong Kong goes three times daily from Wednesday 1st June too, all flights operating with the 747-436. Until then there will be a twice daily service with a third flight on Monday, Thursday and Saturday. This will remain an all year round frequency.

* Another destination that goes three times daily, again from 1st June, is Los Angeles. Like HKG it has a twice daily service until then with a third flight on Mon, Wed and Sat. Again, all flights are with the 747-436. Seems that for the Winter the schedule will revert to twice daily.

* MEX sees an additional flight for the summer with a 747-436, making four flights per week.

* At LGW the IAH nonstop service increases to 13 flights per week, Tuesday been the only day to have a single flight. The one-stop flight from LHR via ORD continues to operate too.

* Also at LGW Bermuda sees a five times weekly service, dropping back to four times weekly for the Winter. Not too long since this was only a three times weekly flight.

* CCS and BOG left the network in February, with RUH and JED leaving at the start of the Summer timetable change.

* MAA is set to go from twice weekly to six times weekly for the Winter season, while BLR will be a new destination with a thrice weekly service. No schedules are loaded as yet.

Shorthaul

* New services launched at the start of April from LGW were Salonika four times weekly; Split three times weekly; and Vilnius five times weekly.

* From May there will be a three times weekly red-eye flight from LGW to Bucharest; and from June a three times weekly red-eye flight from LGW to Sofia. This is a new departure for BA on shorthaul, so be interesting to see how it pans out - could see new LGW routes as a result if successful.

* BA CitiExpress has added daily flights from Bristol to Milan Malpensa, and six times weekly to Zurich, both with the ERJ-145.

* Franchise carrier GB Airways will add service from LGW to Heraklion (Crete) in May, while at its new base at MAN the carrier has launched flights to Malaga, and from May will add Dubrovnik, Malta, Paphos and Tenerife South. GB Airways aims to add an aircraft a year to MAN, so some expansion ahead at Ringway over the coming years.

* BA CitiExpress has dropped routes to Copenhagen and Bologna from MAN, while frequencies on some other routes, e.g. MAN-OSL, MAN-HAJ, SOU-GLA and SOU-EDI have been cut.

Fleet developments

* The 767 dusking programme finally got under way earlier this year, removing the First cabin and installing Club World Flat beds and World Traveller Plus, as well as PTVs in World Traveller. Revised seating is 24J 24W and 141M.

* G-BNWO and G-BNWT already completed, with G-BNWS, G-BNWV, G-BNWR, G-BNWM, G-BNWU, G-BNWI, G-BNWN and G-BNWH to follow in that order.

* Provisional plans for shorthaul aircraft G-BNWD, G-BNWY, G-BNWW and G-BNWC to also be upgraded to longhaul configuration (In that order), suggesting some longhaul expansion in the pipeline for next Summer, as all 767 upgrade work is scheduled to be completed by April '06.

* As already reported elsewhere on A-Net, BA will use an A319 on a W pattern from MAN during the week to LGW, operating the first flight to LGW and the last back to MAN in the evening. During the day it will also serve EDI and ABZ from LGW. No sign of any plans to transfer any A319s to LGW for the Winter at present.

* BA CitiExpress will see its fleet shrink this summer. The planned withdrawal of the Dash 8 fleet by the end of March has not now happened.

* Dash 8 G-BRYJ left the fleet in March, and G-BRYJ will leave by the end of this month. This will leave 8 Dash 8-311Bs in service.

* BAe 146-200 G-MIMA is to leave the fleet in May. The remaining four BAe 146s (1 x -100, 2 x -200s and 1 x -300) are due to leave by '06.

[Edited 2005-04-06 00:31:13]
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Falcon Flyer

RE: British Airways Schedule Updates - Plus Fleet News

Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:51 am

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:04 am

Forget to mention that the services to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Genoa from LGW both ended with the start of the new timetable, following on from Frankfurt's dropping last Autumn. At Manchester the route to Amsterdam has finished too.

whiskeyhotel

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:47 am

Huzzah for the LGW-HER flight. FirstChoice is all well and good, but it's nice to know I can grab some ExecutiveClub miles when going to Crete.

daron4000

Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:09 pm

What's the difference between 4 class planes (F, C, W+, W) and 3 class planes going longhaul?

Speedbird2155

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:25 pm

A 3-class service means no First, simply Club, WT+ and WT. All longhaul 767s are configured in this manner as are some of the T7s.

AIR MALTA

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:38 pm

*Edinburgh is getting 5 daily flights to London City instead of the 3 previously operated.

*More flights to Larnaca which goes to 12 weekly from LHR.

*Tehran goes to Daily for the Summer as for the Winter.

*Yerevan goes to 6 weekly flights from 3 previously.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

FCKC

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:38 pm

Does someone know , why G-BNWA is stored at Nimes , since Jan09th ?

AIR MALTA

Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:04 pm

I heard somewhere that BA is going to add Hassi Massaoud in Algeria and some second cities in Romania. Does anybody has more on this issue?

A340600

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:39 am

Hey,

Cheers for the fatastic info biggrin 

Sad to see CDG dropped from LGW, I noticed this whilst browsing for flights a couple of weeks back.

Good to hear that not many A319's are coming in the Winter then, I do still enjoy those 737's!

Also, great news to hear the Longhaul out of LGW increase,

Cheers

Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

gg190

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:05 am

Will be sad to see G-MIMA go.  crying 

Morvious

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:10 am

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 2):
Forget to mention that the services to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Genoa from LGW both ended with the start of the new timetable, following on from Frankfurt's dropping last Autumn. At Manchester the route to Amsterdam has finished too.

Looks to me they lost the battle with LCC in europe on these routes.

Thanks for the other BA information to.
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

Contact Air

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:14 am

Thanks a lot for this info - really interesting!!

OV735

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 am

Thanks for the info.

Any idea if BA will start London - Tallinn anytime in the nearer future (a year or so)?

whitehatter

RE: British Airways Schedule Updates - Plus Fleet

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:30 am

BA are really being crushed out of MAN recently.

I'm not surprised CPH/AMS has gone. There are better overall options and BD/Star/LH/SK codeshares, as well as KL and AF taking plenty of longhaul traffic away with their frequent services to AMS and CDG hubs.

BA only want MAN as a feeder airport to LHR and a GB Airways operation for the Costas. The non-UK carriers, BD and lowcosts are the only ones prepared to put their money where their mouths are and are the operators who are fuelling growth at MAN.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Stretch 8

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:39 am

Can someone tell me why BA dumped LHR-ZAG a couple of years back, only to now service DBV and SPU from LGW? I mean, I know the latter two are leisure/coastal destinations. But if I cross the pond on my favourite airline, I have to schlep from LHR to LGW for the connecting flight to Croatia. And why doesn't BA run a shuttle between these airports for First and Club passengers?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

whitehatter

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:44 am

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 15):
Can someone tell me why BA dumped LHR-ZAG a couple of years back, only to now service DBV and SPU from LGW?

Holiday and villa traffic. There is a growing market for holiday homes in the region nowadays, as well as a return to the traditional hotel tourism.

DBV and SPU were traditionally the airports which handled that traffic. At the time BA did state ZAG wasn't performing well out of LHR.

FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:29 am

AIR MALTA, I don't know anything on the suggestion of a second destination from LGW to Algeria, but if true can only think Algiers is performing well. More of a business route, like Tripoli, yet still operates from LGW. Any particular reason? Secondary destinations in Eastern Europe could be a possability as BA seems to be looking for new markets in Eastern Europe. Still a strong network to Italy from LGW, complemented by GT's flights to Spain.

Also, thanks for mentioning the BA CitiExpress increases on LCY-EDI and BA mainline on LHR-LCA. BMED also increased frequencies as you mentioned, while the former four times weekly LHR-Alexandria (Borg el Arab)-Khartoum flight is replaced by thrice weekly LHR-Beirut-Alexandria (Borg el Arab) and thrice weekly LHR-Beirut-Khartoum.

It's good to see GT moving North to take on the Charter carriers with their scheduled ops (ZB/DP) as well as the low-costs. Hopefully GT can prove there is the demand up North for a full service carrier serving the Med destinations - and not on an RJ either! While mentioning GT they relaunched a daily LHR-GIB service, with LGW-GIB flights reducing from twice daily to 10 times weekly.

Finally, happy to share this info gleaned from various News Releases, timetable searches, etc. I know many on here criticise BA for slashing longhaul routes (CCS, BOG, JED, RUH) and some shorthaul ones too (MAN-AMS, LGW-CDG) but the carrier under Rod Eddington has shown it is willing to the master of its own destiny, maintaining a decent level of service compared to its competitors. I hope Willie Walsh appreciates that for many it is the fact BA remains a cut above the rest that is one of its assets and we don't see cutbacks. I also hope we continue to see a willingness to develop and expand LGW as a leisure airport for O&D traffic - even if it means you have to make your way from LHR to LGW Stretch 8 to connect with flights! Let LHR take the business traffic while LGW can cater for the independent traveller wanting a little bit extra to start and end their holiday.

Horus

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:46 am

TASHKENT - British Airways has announced its summer schedule (which started March 27) to Tashkent, capital of Uzbekistan. The airline will operate Tashkent to London services on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Return flights from London to Tashkent will fly on Fridays, Sundays and Wednesdays. The services is operated by British Airway's independent franchise partner BMED.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

David_itl

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:57 am

Moot point about MAN-OSL being a "reduction". Yes, frequency dropped but there is more capacity on the route now by my reckoning (6 RJ100s + 1 ERJ145 verseus 12 ERJ145s).

As for GT, the plan was for May start-up but "demand" brought forward the AGP service to mid-March; we know that DBV will be replaced by FNC this winter but I hope that they publicise new services rather than let BA state they are being dropped! after the alleged launch of them.

David

AIR MALTA

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 19):
but I hope that they publicise new services rather than let BA state they are being dropped! after the alleged launch of them.

Do you see a route to Tunis, from Manchester? And how is Tunis considered? A leisure route? I am quite surprised TUN was not transferred to LHR like CMN.
TUN lacks longhaul operations and BA could gain from connecting traffic to Montreal and New York as well as Johannesburg and Asia and also to the UK. The actual flight times of the TUN operation does not allow any connection to the UK. All of the English I know that travel to Aberdeen and New Castle choose Air France over BA because it is more convenient.

EGNM-LBA

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:40 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 14):
BA only want MAN as a feeder airport to LHR and a GB Airways operation for the Costas. The non-UK carriers, BD and lowcosts are the only ones prepared to put their money where their mouths are and are the operators who are fuelling growth at MAN.

Why is the internet full of people who think BA have some sort of obligation to operate services out of MAN. The only obligation BA have is to their shareholders to deliver an appropriate return on their investment. Full stop.

egnm

whitehatter

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:56 pm

Quoting Egnm-lba (Reply 21):
Why is the internet full of people who think BA have some sort of obligation to operate services out of MAN. The only obligation BA have is to their shareholders to deliver an appropriate return on their investment. Full stop.

So it has gone totally over your head.

Other carriers are making truckloads of money out of the MAN expansion. BA aren't interested. BA shareholders should be asking why BA isn't part of the MAN growth but instead is pulling more and more services out of the airport as competitors eat their lunch.

Heathrow is a difficult place to expand. Gatwick has its problems too. Manchester is growing, and where is BA? Where is BA's return on their T3 investment? Why are they not pursuing a clear revenue stream that others are tapping? Why is their MAN strategy flawed?

jumpjet

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:09 pm

Great info, thanks!

On a slightly different tack, haven't BA ordered A318s? When are they due for delivery? Has anyone any ideas or am I completely off course?

whitehatter

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:11 pm

The 318 order was cancelled, BA opted for a different mix and some A321s instead.

edina

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:14 pm

The A318 order was swapped for the new A321s now in the fleet.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

edina

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:14 pm

You beat me to it White Hatter  Smile
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

EGNM-LBA

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:27 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 22):
So it has gone totally over your head

Not at all.

Other carriers are making truckloads of money out of the MAN expansion

So how much exactly? What's the ROI of their MAN operations? What's the operating margin? How sensitive are those returns to volumetric changes, fuel prices and yields? How do the retruns compare to internal thresholds on rates of return? What's the opportunity cost of operating the assets elsewhere?

BA shareholders should be asking why BA isn't part of the MAN growth

BA, like most large business is owned by large institutional shaeholders (pension funds etc). They have their own avitaion expert analysts pouring over BA's strategy as well as the various brokers etc. If these people could see a pot of gold at MAN that BA wasn't exploiting they'd be having a right old go, make no mistake.

Heathrow is a difficult place to expand

Yet everyone want's to expand there - including BD who've spent 4 years trying to make money out of long haul at MAN. Are they one of the airlines making truckloads of money that you refer to?

Why are they not pursuing a clear revenue stream that others are tapping?

Because maybe the costs of tapping into are greater than the revenues generated - i.e. loss making. Or maybe the profit margins are less than they could achieve somewhere else. Or maybe it's because on thin, low-yield markets out of MAN, the profit margin is so sensitive to yield that it simply makes no sense to compete head to head with the lo-co carriers (not just at MAN, but at LPL, LBA, and soon DSA). AMS went exactly because of this reason - it was already on its last legs beacause of EZY at LPL and Jet2 at Leeds and Jet2 launching MAN was the final straw. I'm guessing you think they should have stayed an battled it out even it meant loosing money?

Why is their MAN strategy flawed?

It's only flawed to you because you want to see MAN grow or have some sort of emotive wish to see more BA aircraft at MAN. To BA, their shareholders (of which I am one) it makes perfect sense to me.

scotron11

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:28 pm

Other carriers are making truckloads of money out of the MAN expansion. BA aren't interested. BA shareholders should be asking why BA isn't part of the MAN growth but instead is pulling more and more services out of the airport as competitors eat their lunch.

You maybe correct on that one. Then again, I think BA is more concerned with T5 at LHR and planning for the changeover and consolidation that will bring.

I know it is still 3 years away, but that is going to be a major upheaval for all concerned.

To be facetious, maybe BA could start an LCC and call it "ISH", like our cousins across the pond!

jumpjet

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:28 pm

Thanks for the answers re the A318s, shame the order was swapped/cancelled! I've always liked the A318 aesthetically speaking.

richardw

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:48 pm

If BA wants to get into the no frills sector, it really has to think up a strategy of weakening the might of U2 or FR.

skidmarks

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 pm

An addition to the fleet news from BACX is that although the Dash 8's are due to be centred at MAN from April '06, the first two of them are due return in May 06 (BRYU/BRYV, with the rest of the fleet following at roughly one a month until January '07 (NVSB)

As yet there isn't a replacement on the horizon and no one seems to want to make a decision regarding extending the lease's (is that the right word?)

I have a vested interest in the Dash 8 fleet as I am the Maintenance Planning Engineer and it would be nice to know if I have a job after Jan '07!

Cheers

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

flycro

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:00 am

Will BA fly to DBV and SPU in the winter? DBV must have performed well last summer to go daily this year???

donder10

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:42 am

Why is their MAN strategy flawed?

Because MAN lacks a sizeable business O&D base for a hub.From various accounts bmi's long-haul routes out of MAN are losing money.MAN people regularly cite the likes of EK,CO etc as proof that BA could do very well at MAN.Yet,all the US airlines have a hub from which to feed MAN from the other side of the pond and a lot of the Asian traffic into MAN is low-yield operated by state-owned airlines.

EZYAirbus

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:49 am

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Thread starter):
* Dash 8 G-BRYJ left the fleet in March, and G-BRYJ will leave by the end of this month. This will leave 8 Dash 8-311Bs in service.

G-BRYJ gone or going??  Confused

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Sabena 690

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:22 am

EGNM-LBA and Donder10 got it right about MAN.

One example is the MAN-AMS which has been discontinued recently. One of the reasons given was the fact that BA couldn't create a feeder for this flight, unlike KL who are able to load a lot of connecting passengers. Do BA have to operate an expensive ERJ145 filled with low-yield pax?

Let the low-yield O&D pax who only care about the price fly on Jet2 to AMS, it's better for BA to use the aircraft on other routes where money can be made.

One last thing: it might be interesting to look for a reason why CO selected MAN to downgrade from B772/B767 to B752. They certainly won't do this on a route where loads of money can be made in their BusinessFirst cabin.

skidmarks

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:40 am

Quoting EZYAirbus (Reply 34):
G-BRYJ gone or going??

G-BRYJ has gone. G-BRYI is going into EXE for handback maintenance on April 22nd and will be handed back end of May.

Next two go in May 2006. Maybe !

Andy  old 

AV8AJET

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:05 am

Does anyone know if that BA 737 is still in storage at GLA with the Chinese world tail? Just curious, why has it been sitting there for so long?
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:20 am

SABENA 690, EGNM-LBA and Donder10 - I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who thinks BA shouldn't replicate its LHR operations at MAN with ERJs and Avros! Those other carriers who are "making pots of money" at MAN are serving their hubs. It's MAN to hub to anywhere for a connection. BA does the same by serving its hub of LHR and is slated. Anyway, yes CPH and AMS are gone from MAN this year, but CitiExpress have added STR, while GT have added AGP, DBV, MLA, PFO and TFS.

What've got anyway, that are making all the money? Is it KL to AMS, AF to CDG, LH to FRA/MUC, SK to CPH, AC to YYZ, AA to ORD, CO to EWR, DL to ATL, EK to DXB, MH to KUL, SQ to SIN. Even BD are serving UA hubs with their IAD and ORD hubs, and the rest are leisure routes.

Bob Ayling sounded the death knell for BA carrying low-yielding economy passengers en mass, hence why the LHR fleet of 57 757s now stands at 13, alongside a large fleet of A319s - originally intended for BHX, MAN and LGW. And that's why BA operates Embraers and Avros because they don't want the capacity if it won't make them money. Anyway, I know AMS has gone but I don't think MAN is doing too badly from BA compared to ten years ago given all the extra competition, e.g. BD domestic, low costs: -

Weekdays 1996

ABZ 4xATP
AMS 4x732
BFS 5xATP
BHD 5xATP (Op. by Manx Airlines Europe)
BRU 3x732
CDG 5x732
DUS 3x732
EDI 5xATP
FCO 1x732 (Via BRU)
GCI 1xATP (Via JER)
GLA 6xATP
GVA 1x732
HAJ 1xATP
JER 1xATP
JFK 1x767
LDY 1xSH6 (Op. by Loganair)
LGW 5x732
LHR 11x737/757/767
LIN 2x732
LSI 1xATP (Via ABZ)
MAD 1x732
MUC 1x732
ORK 2xJ41 (Op. by Manx Airlines Europe)
RTM 1xJ41 (Op. by Manx Airlines Europe)
SNN 1xJ41 (Op. by Manx Airlines Europe)
SOU 2xATP
STN 3xJ41 (Op. by Manx Airlines Europe)

GIB and ISB also served, though not on every weekday.

74 weekday flights to 24 destinations (Plus 3 more destinations served as extensions of other flights)
29 destinations in all.

Weekdays 2006

ABZ 3xDH8
AGP 1x320 (Op by GB Airways)
BHD 6xDH8
BLL 2xD38 (Op. by Sun-Air)
BRU 3xER4/146 (Plus 3x146 SN codeshare)
CDG 5xER4/AR1
DUS 3xER4
EDI 6xDH8/AR1
FCO 1xAR1
FRA 5xER4
GLA 6xDH8/ER4
GVA 2xER4
HAJ 2xER4
HEL (1x319 AY codeshare)
IOM 5xDH8
JER 1xER4
JFK 1x767
LGW 7x319/737
LHR 11x319/320/757
LYS 1xER4
MAD 2xER4/AR1
MLA 1x320 (Op. by GB Airways)
MXP 2xER4/AR1
NCE 1x146
ORK 1xAR1
OSL 1xAR1
PIS 1xER4
SNN 1xDH8
SOU 5xDH8
STR 1xER4
TXL 1xER4
VCE 1xER4
VIE 1xER4
ZRH 2xER4

DBV, PFO and TFS also served, though not on every weekday (Op. by GB Airways)

92 weekday services to 33 destinations (Plus 4 codeshare flights).
37 destinations in all.

FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:20 am

Some updates on BA franchise carriers I forgot to add: -

Sun-Air of Scandinavia

Sun-Air have launched new routes from Billund to HEL and BHX, alongside their existing routes from BLL to MAN, EDI, DUS, OSL, AAR, and AAR-GOT, AAR-OSL and AAL-OSL.

The carrier has also taken deliver of its first two Dornier Do328 Turboprops, with the fleet set to eventually number up to ten examples. They will replace the Jetstream 31s and ATPs over the next couple of years.

Loganair

BA's Scottish franchise carrier Loganair has not added any new routes for the Summer, but is increasing frequency on 3 routes as it moves to replace the ATPs leased from BA CitiExpress with an additional 3 SAAB 340s, a move that will give it a fleet of 11 of these aircraft. Registrations are G-LGNI, G-LGNJ and G-LGNK. First will be in service early in May, with the last by the start of June.

The ATPs will then return to CitiExpress , where they will be stored prior to being returned to their lessor, the ATP having being retired by LAR Transregional (Portugal) and Transmile Air Services (Malaysia)">TH last year.

Routes seeing additional flights include ABZ-LSI, GLA-BEB and GLA-SYY.

Comair Ltd

BA's South African franchise carrier has also not added any new routes for the Summer, but did add a new route in the Winter, Johannesburg to Livingstone.

Comair serves Durban, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Windhoek, Harare, Victoria Falls and Livingstone from Johannesburg as well as the Durban-Cape Town route.

GB Airways

GT's new routes have been covered already, including its opening of a base at MAN.

To provide additional capacity for the Summer it is leasing A320-211 G-BUSJ from BA and is operating the aircraft from LGW.

G-TTID, the carriers fourth A321-231, is scheduled to arrive in May.

BMED

KJ's changes in operations have also been covered above.

It is due to take delivery of a new A320-232, G-MEDK, in May from Toulouse. Has been suggested it may feature PTVs in Club and Traveller, but will have to wait and see. As no new routes are being launched I'd expect this aircraft to replace G-MEDA, KJ's first aircraft which is now nearly 11 years old. KJ's second oldest aircraft turns 5 at the end of the month. G-MEDA could stay around though if the new arrival is fitted with PTVs to allow the rest of the fleet to be so fitted. Pure speculation on my part, so we'll have to wait and see once it's delivered.

skidmarks

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:40 pm

BCal,

The ATP's currently with Loganiar are not going to be stored, they are going to be returned to lessor startign with the first in May, which I think is G-MANL. This will coincide with the delivery of the new 340's.

We will then be left with G-MANE & G-MANF which are not due return until Jan/April 06. These aircraft are already in storage at SEN.

MAN is due to become a 145/Dash 8 hub from April 06, with the RJ's being based at BHX, INV and IOM - the LCY A/C and crews coming from BHX. However, if the Dash 8 fleet lease is not renewed, then by Jan 07 MAN will be 145 only with the Dash's all being returned to lessor. What will happen then to the routes operated by the Dash 8 is anyones guess. This includes the IOM-MAN route in which I have a vested interest!!!!!!!

Hopefully, in the near future a decision will be made regarding either the Dash 8 fleet or a replacement aircraft. Personally I would like to see us buy/lease Dash 8 Q400's, but someone in BIg BA doesn't like props and wants all of them gone. Someone at LHR I suspect with his head up his ass and a tunnel vision view on life!

Cheers

Andy  old 

AIR MALTA

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:21 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 8):
I heard somewhere that BA is going to add Hassi Massaoud in Algeria and some second cities in Romania. Does anybody has more on this issue?

Like I said 3 days ago, it tuned to be true

British Airways will start flights from London Gatwick to Hassi Messaoud in Algeria from Tuesday 7 June, 2005.
There will be two flights each week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

These flights will be open for sale shortly on ba.com for travel from 7 June 2005.

British Airways also flies from London Gatwick to the Algerian capital, Algiers, five times each week.

col

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:53 pm

I also do not get the over excitement about BA reducing its strength at MAN. BA have never really attempted to make MAN a hub, they dithered and dabbled, but never really had a clear course. BD are doing a similar thing with the 757 on IAD, dithering. MAN needs to be set up as a Star Hub, additional routes to Asian and the US West Coast. The high yield PAX at MAN are growing, but MAN itself will fail without the improvements required to handle the growth they have now. MAN was a great airport to connect in, but when you have to wait for 1/2 hour for a gate, it gets frustrating, and now putting on those 757's across the pond is a no no.

Recommend:
Put Star in one Terminal
Sort out Terminal 2 parking problems in the morning.
Look for feeder carriers to replace BA, and pick more PAX up from the regions.
Make it more attractive to connect, ease and number of connection.

Just my 2 cents on what used to be a superb airport.

David_itl

Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting Sabena 690 (Reply 35):
a reason why CO selected MAN to downgrade from B772/B767 to B75

Yes, the downgrade from daily 777 to 2 daily services: 1 by 767 and 1 by 757 (yes, they've altered plans from 2 757s!). That's a good downgrade (!) Must remember to look at their BRU ops to see how CO is doing there  Wink

Quoting Donder10 (Reply 33):
Because MAN lacks a sizeable business O&D base for a hub

If LH are carrying 40,000 long-haul business class pax per year on their MAN (their figures), I wonder how many KL + AF are carrying....then the vexed question of how many business pax are actually on the shuttle services operated by BA.

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 38):
but CitiExpress have added STR,

They've dropped frequency, not added or introduced it; they bumped up frequency last year but HLX ops on 4 days per week have seen BA put up the white flag to surrender.

David

planesarecool

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:47 am

Just in case anybody cares, the A319 at Gatwick, swapped on sunday night/monday morning while night stopping at Manchester, with the Heathrow night stopper and G-EUOI is now operating the Gatwick flights, and G-EUPS is now back at Heathrow. I'm not sure if this happens every week?

-Stephen

Sabena 690

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:21 pm

Quoting David_itl (Reply 43):
Yes, the downgrade from daily 777 to 2 daily services: 1 by 767 and 1 by 757 (yes, they've altered plans from 2 757s!).

Thanks for the update, last time I checked (2 weeks ago), the majority of the flights was still on B752.

Quoting David_itl (Reply 43):
Must remember to look at their BRU ops to see how CO is doing there

I really recommend you to do this!

Frederic

BMED

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 40):
MAN is due to become a 145/Dash 8 hub from April 06, with the RJ's being based at BHX, INV and IOM

What flights will they operate from INV then, just LGW? I would have thought that Loganair would have taken over the route with the lease of the aircraft like they did with the ATP's. Also would it be BA crew or Loganair crew or a bit of both i.e BA flight crew and Loganair cabin crew?

Cheers for any information.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

EddieDude

Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:02 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Thread starter):
* MEX sees an additional flight for the summer with a 747-436, making four flights per week.

Very good news! Last summer there used to be five weekly flights between MEX and LHR and I think that the loads were excellent. I look forward to trying BA the next time I fly to Europe (WT+).
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:45 am

http://www.avnclub.demon.co.uk/

Above site for the BA Aviation section confirms that Airbus A320-211 G-BUSJ is on lease from BA mainline at LHR to GB Airways at LGW for twelve months.

Surprised to see that another 737-436, G-DOCP, has been stood down. I know that with LGW-CDG ending BA would have excess capacity at LGW, but figured that would be covered by new routes. Thinking about it though, there is also the A319 operating on a W pattern from MAN daily through LGW. BA did add the six A321s over Winter, so guess a 737 can go if a A319 can operate to LGW and an A320 can be leased to GT.

FlyCaledonian
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:52 am

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...c/en_gb?eId=112001&audience=travel

Above link is to a News Release from BA announcing that it has terminated its franchise agreement with Regional Air, part of AirKenya Aviation and operating services from Nairobi to destinations including Johannesburg, Lusaka, Lilongwe, Harare, Mombasa, Djibouti, Khartoum and Asmara.

Regional Air suspended operations at the start of the week due to cash flow problems, a move which placed its franchise agreement with BA at threat.

The carrier operated four 737-200s in BA colours.

Wonder if BA's South African franchise carrier, Comair Limited, will look at launching services on the JNB-NBO route?