rootsair

Star Alliance Letting Anyone Join?

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:07 pm

With Adria airways joining Star Alliance and continuing its never ending expansion I am now wondering if they are really letting anyone in. Why does Adria qualify and not many other airlines that have tried to join it.

Second, I would like to know what is better. Expanding in such a manner of being as restrictive as OneWorld as to the amount of airlines that join in. Since a while, the list of One World members is just the same whereas that of SkyAlliance is never ending increasing .....
I thought perhaps an allaince expert could exlain my 2 question

Regards
BM
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

erikwilliam

RE: Star Alliance Letting Anyone Join?

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:11 pm

South African is joining Star also, they will be part of it late 2005 or early 2006 if not mistaken.
Hope that helps.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

UN_B732

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:23 pm

Oneworld has iberia, it may fit into the network but it's not regarded as a very high-quality airline, at least in the opinion of probably 60% of the members who partcipate in the Iberia discussions here, with 15% being neutral and the remainder being exteremly pro-Iberia.
How does Oneworld select airlines, by network integration?
What now?

VS045

Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:54 pm

UN_B732,

I am probably one of those 60%, but I still think that Iberia plays an important part in Oneworld as it gives the alliance a strong presence in Latin America.

Cheers,
VS045
4 engines 4 long haul

erikwilliam

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Tam would be a great add to OneWorld, due to it´s presence in Brazil, and the importance and size of Brazil, there´s no on here, except from intl carriers.

gotta wait and see, but Tam stated they´ll join a alliance soon.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

backfire

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Why does Adria qualify and not many other airlines that have tried to join it?

If many other airlines have tried to join Star, and failed, then means that Star is not "letting anyone join". Your own comment seems to answer your question.

rootsair

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:02 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 2):
Oneworld has iberia, it may fit into the network but it's not regarded as a very high-quality airline, at least in the opinion of probably 60% of the members who partcipate in the Iberia discussions here, with 15% being neutral and the remainder being exteremly pro-Iberia.

It pisses me off that the only european carrier that flies directly to my country is Iberia. Not Iberia itself but the fcat Iberia doesn't have the same service as other airlines. Aren't they the most profitable airline in europe....so why the hell can't they improve their service, put on PTV's ....I dunno...anything to reach the standard of other carriers....I'm condemned to fly them if I don't wanna go through the US.

I feel Latin America deserves better from Iberia
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

FriendlySkies

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:20 am

"Star Alliance Letting Anyone Join?"

If TAP Portugal and South African Airlines don't exist, then yes that is correct. Of course, they do exist, so your statement is false.

JGPH1A

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:24 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
With Adria airways joining Star Alliance and continuing its never ending expansion

Adria is only an associate member, like Blue1 - because they lack any significant intercontinental presence. It makes sense for *A to have regional members like this, in densely populated regions like Scandinavia and the Balkans, where feed to their big hubs (CPH, FRA, MUC, VIE) is so essential.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

FriendlySkies

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:29 am

I just realized that I completely missed the context of the topic, please ignore my last post.

Doona

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:30 am

Quoting VS045 (Reply 3):
I am probably one of those 60%, but I still think that Iberia plays an important part in Oneworld as it gives the alliance a strong presence in Latin America.

Doesn't LAN cover Latin America pretty well?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

cambrian

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:55 am

Will Swiss be joining anytime soon?

MGA

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:09 am

Quoting VS045 (Reply 3):

Doona:
You are exactly right. Also American Has a HUGE presence in Latina America. IB would be 3rd in number of flights.

Oh, and Roots: you forgot Air Madrid. Martinair doenst qualify b/c of its MIA base.

MGA
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

erikwilliam

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:14 am

Quoting Cambrian (Reply 11):
Will Swiss be joining anytime soon?

Maybe after LH finish the buying process we can see something, like probably Star.
If they don´t, they must findo something better to do and make money, then mauybe join a alliance.

rootsair

Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:26 am

Quoting MGA (Reply 12):
Oh, and Roots: you forgot Air Madrid

true but what i heard is that service isn't any much better and you have to buy your own meals !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos