TLHFLA
Topic Author

New ATL Airport Train Recordings

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:48 am

There was an article in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution about passengers complaining that the annocements on the ATL Airport train are difficult to understand. Airport officials are pondering changing the recording from a female voice to a male voice.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/0405/06airport.html

I haven't found the current female voice recording difficult to understand, but the previous computer-generated female voice was terrible. Of course, we can't forget the robotic voice of the 80's, that was my favorite.

"Please hold on [abrupt stop]...this train is stopping!"
Bill in ATL

FLAIRPORT

RE: New ATL Airport Train Recordings

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:53 am

Yes, the robotic voice was still around in the early 2000s actually. I have been on the train numerous times from 1996-2003 and I only remember the robotic voice and then the more normal male voice that was a small improvment:

"Careful...doors are closing and will not reopen, please wait for the next train!"

"THE NEXT STOP IS ConCourse C" to "THE NEXT STATION IS FOR THE C GATES"

[Edited 2005-04-07 03:07:35]
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

srbmod

Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:57 am

I miss the Darth Vader announcements they used to have; all that was lacking was the breathing.....

They ought to take a page out of LAS's book and have some celebrities do the announcements.......

isitsafenow

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:05 am

To me the voice sounded exactly like the Cylons from BattleStar Galactica, a TV show of the early 90's. A few weeks after the show was cancelled, I was on the ATL train and that robotic voice was sounding off during stops. A guy next to me on the train said" Looks like the Cylons found work". Only a couple of people laughed(got it).
I thought that was a great line.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

Goldenshield

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:39 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 3):
BattleStar Galactica, a TV show of the early 90's.

That show was from the late 70's/early 80's, my friend.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:40 am

I came across this website, which someone made for ATL Airport. It's somewhat outdated as it still says Hartsfield instead of Hartsfield-Jackson. It has sound clips from around the airport, including the train recording from a few years ago...

http://andy.maskin.net/hartsfield/
Bill in ATL

petazulu

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:42 am

The problem with the recordings now is that you can't understand when the girl says Concourse B and Councourse D. They both sound the same. Even C and E sound similar. They should find a way for her to say "Concourse B, as in Bravo" or something like that.

AirframeAS

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:58 am

Quoting Petazulu (Reply 6):
They should find a way for her to say "Concourse B, as in Bravo" or something like that.

The problem with that is most pax dont know the radio alphabet and it would further confuse the pax.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

loggat

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:42 am

They should find a way for her to say "Concourse B, as in Bravo" or something like that.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 7):
The problem with that is most pax dont know the radio alphabet and it would further confuse the pax.

Maybe they should try this...

"Concourse B, that's B, as in Bring your own food and pillows for flights from this concourse"
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

kbuf737

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:48 am

Does it still play the little part of music. I used to fly through ATL from about 1994-2000 then DL cut back on mainline to BUF and raised prices so my family started flying alternative airlines to Florida. I remember the music on the train, and the old robot voices however. Those made the airport seem so early 80s especially before all the upgrades when the DL terminals used to have that brownish carpet wall.
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

wilcharl

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:25 pm

the robotic darth vador anouncement i remember from back in the 80s was and i knew tihs as a kid in the mid 80s in school

THE NEXT STOP IS CONCOURSE A THE COLOR-CODED MAPS AND SIGNS IN THIS VEHICLE MATCH THE STATION COLORS PLEASE MOVE TO THE CENTER OF THE VEHICLE AND AWAY FROM THE DOORS...

the signs no longer match the station colors

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Actually they started to do that. Friday i flew out and the train said "councourse A as in Adam" etc.....(thats the only one i know cuz thats where i got off), but then when i returned monday that train didnt, so it seems they are phasing it in.

I never had a problem, but i can easily see where foriegn visitors could mix up B C D and E.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

zippyjet

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:11 pm

TLHFLA: Congratulations! You just earned a spot in the Zippyjet respected users list. I love those train sounds at ATL. The chick and the mechanical voice suck the dude's voice rocks. And, that escalator voice sounds like Fraiser meets Bella Lagoussi.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Dalmd88

Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:51 pm

The guy that did the escalator announcment died a few years back. I remember reading the obit in the AJC. He did have a cool voice.

litz

Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:24 am

As I remember, the problem with the robotic "cylon" voice was that the original recordings, or company that did the recordings, was no longer available - and when they added Concourse E prior to the Olympics, there was no way to add that recording using the same voice ... plus they wanted to "internationalize" the airport, hence the switch to a normal PA style voice.

They have, however, recently started adding a name to the concourse letter, to make it easier to understand ...which is good. To me, it always sounded like B,C,D and E were all the same thing.

I've not heard B, but I believe some of the others are :

A as in Adam
B as in (Bob?)
C as in Charlie
D as in David
E as in Eric

Note they are using actual names and not the standardized intertional phonetic alphabet ...

- Jonathan

n757kw

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:29 am

Maybe it is time to show Atlanta's roots here. Get a Southern Girl to make the announcements.

"Hi Y'all doin! Welcome to the big Atlanta Airport. This here first stop is Concourse A....."

Okay y'all can rip in me if you want. There are not many of us Southerners left in Atlanta. All those d*mn Yankees keep moving in.

I am just joking here!

N757KW  tongue 
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

isitsafenow

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:10 am

Maybe we should have Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy do the train tapes.
just kidding...
safe

komododx

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:26 am

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 16):
Maybe we should have Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy do the train tapes

rotfl 

"We're gettin' to Concourse C... Git-R-Done!!!"

Stefano
I'm homeless and unemployed

gigneil

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:44 am

I have never found the Atlanta announcements anything but PERFECTLY clear and understandable, and I feel like I used to live in the airport.

N

ALB2ATL

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:54 am

I miss the computerized woman's voice they used just a few months ago. I loved it when she said "...Concourse A, Concourse A." I cracked up everytime I heard it because it was so exaggerated!

isitsafenow

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:38 am

GIGNEIL....The announcements are very clear but before the Olympics, they sounded like the Cylons from Battlestar Galatica(vintage TV show late 70's early 80's....thankyouverymuch Goldenshield). That's what we are havin' fun with.

DALMD88...I wonder if he went up.........or down?
Lord, I'm sorry for that....may I be with the pygmies of New Guinea for that.
Time to go to DFW...later
safe

Starlionblue

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:42 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 7):

Eh... Do you really need to know the radio alphabet to figure out that "B as in Bravo" stands for "B" and no other letter?

"Hmmm, Bravo... That's probably C concourse..."
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

navairjax

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:52 am

Maybe the reason they don't use the phonetic alphabet is rather obvious, think about the letter D.

PDXFlyer

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:01 am

I always find that I just want to walk the distance to the terminal when I am there.

Of course, they have had the same art honoring Zimbabwe there for the past several years, but after a 4 - 5 hour flight inbound, the walk is better than crowding into a train.

AirplanePeanut

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:06 am

Next stop is concourse c, concourse c.

Novemebr 2003 was so annoying!

fxra

Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:24 am

I leftout of ATL on tueday and didn't notice a change the the announcements (i was running late for my flight), however when i got home today i steppe don the train at C and here "The next stop is concourse B and in Baker" I thought that was amusing..

The one that seems to give people the most toruble is the T stop, everytime i go through (and thats alot) some one gets off at the T concourse stops. and barely makes it back on for the trip to baggage claim ( speaking of, anyone know whay they need the train to reach the outrageous speeds to get that last 20 yards or so??).

later.
Visualize Whirled Peas

AirframeAS

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:21 am

Quoting Loggat (Reply 8):
Maybe they should try this...

"Concourse B, that's B, as in Bring your own food and pillows for flights from this concourse"

LOL!!!! I second that!!!

Quoting Litz (Reply 14):
I've not heard B, but I believe some of the others are :

A as in Adam
B as in (Bob?)
C as in Charlie
D as in David
E as in Eric

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo.....

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 21):
Eh... Do you really need to know the radio alphabet to figure out that "B as in Bravo" stands for "B" and no other letter?

I ment to say that MOST PAX may or may not know the radio alphabet, my point was that maybe its not a good idea to have the airport call it the Bravo Concourse or the Alpha Concourse. People may not know what that means. And I do know the radio alphabet just fine, Mr. Greenland!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:46 pm

It was mentioned in the article that they aren't using Alpha, Bravo, etc. because of D for Delta. If the announcement for Concourse D mentions Delta people might think that only Delta serves D, but several other airlines serve D.

The one that seems to give people the most toruble is the T stop, everytime i go through (and thats alot) some one gets off at the T concourse stops. and barely makes it back on for the trip to baggage claim ( speaking of, anyone know whay they need the train to reach the outrageous speeds to get that last 20 yards or so??).

I find it funny that at the Concourse T stop the announcement outside the train tells people to remain on the train for baggage, but is immediately followed by the chimes and the "careful, doors are closing and will not reopen" announcement.
Bill in ATL

LambertSTL777

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:22 pm

I like the current recording.. I haven't had any trouble knowing where to get off.. (maybe because I have the entire airport map memorized..  Wink )

Personally, I don't like how the trains give you only a nano-second to get on or off. You basically have to run off or on the train to make it. And when they say "the doors will not reopen" they mean it.. I once witnessed a lady get her leg caught in the door, and it didn't reopen at all.. luckily she was able to pull her leg inside the train before she got hurt.

I like how quick they get you places, but they can be quite scary at times
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

Dalmd88

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:59 pm

Years ago one comedian mentioned the robot recording in his act. He said if you got on the train at the last minuite and stopped the doors you should yell -"Why isn't this train moving?". The computer voice would seem to answer you to the amazment of all the people on the train. The Cylon would say "This train is not moving because someone has interfeared whith the closing of the doors." Never got to try it.

FLAIRPORT

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:39 pm

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 13):
The guy that did the escalator announcment died a few years back. I remember reading the obit in the AJC. He did have a cool voice.

Wasn't that Maynard Jackson? Or was that the "Welcome to Atlanta" announcment? They have more announcments in ATL!

Quoting Litz (Reply 14):
when they added Concourse E prior to the Olympics, there was no way to add that recording using the same voice ... plus they wanted to "internationalize" the airport, hence the switch to a normal PA style voice.

From around March 1996-maybe Janruary 1997 they had the robot voice. I remember hearing it when I was moving up there...then someone interfered with the closing doors and a lound alarm went off and I didn't ride the train again until 2000!

Quoting N757KW (Reply 15):
Okay y'all can rip in me if you want. There are not many of us Southerners left in Atlanta. All those d*mn Yankees keep moving in.

I cannot agree with that statement. There are pleanty of your kind still there.

Quoting Loggat (Reply 8):

"Concourse T, that's T as in THIS is where your flight to New York will leave from. THIS is also where some flights to Fort Lauderdale, Boston, Los Angeles, and Washington leave. Thank you."
(ok, not as good, but true nonetheless!)
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

LambertSTL777

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:16 am

Why do they rush you so much on ATL's trains? I understand that everyone needs to get to their concourse as soon as possible, but god forbid you interfear with the closing of the doors.. all hell will break loose. the voice makes you feel like you should be shot and killed for making the train 1 second late by not letting the doors close. Is there a specific time system these trains need to run on? If a train does get held up, will the rest of them just line up behind it, or just not leave the station they're at?

Thanks

Josh
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

BestWestern

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 1):
"Careful...doors are closing and will not reopen, please wait for the next train!"

"THE NEXT STOP IS ConCourse C" to "THE NEXT STATION IS FOR THE C GATES"

The nightmares of ATL come flooding back! Whats unclear about those announcements! Lets hope we dont get

"THE NEXT STOP IS ConCourse C" to Sponsored by Advil "THE NEXT STATION IS FOR THE C GATES"

and rather than the annoying sonic tune - the tune to the advil advert!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

citationjet

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:42 am

At the DFW airport for over 15 years, the voice on the Tram recording used to say "Please stand back, the doors are about to close". Then the doors would close. After the doors closed, the same message was repeated in Spanish. I always wondered how many Spanish speaking passengers were caught in the doors. I wondered why they didn't have the Spanish announcement BEFORE the doors closed.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

litz

Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:55 am

Quoting LambertSTL777 (Reply 31):
If a train does get held up, will the rest of them just line up behind it, or just not leave the station they're at?

Exactly that ... the trains are all automatically run, and timed so they move in lockstep ... if one train gets delayed all the others get delayed as well (after all, where can they go?) ...

And yes, when those doors close, they do NOT reopen. You either pull yourself through the door to get on the train or off the train. I've seen many a person seperated from their rolling bag due to that.

Note that the safety devices on the system mean it will not MOVE unless the door is all the way closed ... so no worries about getting your leg cut off or whatnot ...

Other people are usually helpful in extricating whoever the poor stuck soul is, so things don't get delayed terribly long.

- litz

flyboeingjets

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:13 am

The train has gone through many changes. Just recently they started the "A as in Adam, B as in Baker..." version of the automated voices, both with man and woman voices.
Before that, it was a stern woman's voice with no modulation in tone.
Before that, around 2002, they had I believe what is Mk 2 of the "Cyclon voice" some of you have discussed. Its by far the best voice, and nothing is funnier than "BONG BONG BONG! SOMETHING IS BLOCKING THE DOORS! PLEASE MOVE AWAY FROM THE DOORS!" Luckily some of the stations are still equipped with this voice.
The prox sensors on the doors will open both sets of doors up if you get something/someone jammed in them, but theyll immediately try to close again. I have seen countless strollers/rollerbags/limbs get jammed into the doors while going between the concourses.

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:43 pm

I always find it funny that the door closing warning announcements seem to cause more people to cram in at the last minute rather than deter them. I remember back in the early 90's when the robotic sounding annoucements were still used, the recording outside the train was a normal sounding voice that yelled "STOP! Do Not Enter" then a siren would sound followed by a more polite "Please wait for the next train" announcement. I guess they figured a friendlier announcement with the threat that you would get stuck between the doors was more effective.

Tampa Airport has automatic shuttles between the airsides and main terminal and they never had door closing warning announcments until very recently. Now they have announcements warning people not to enter, but the doors will still re-open as people try to cram in. I often find myself on a train that is delayed for several minutes as people try to cram in at the last minute. Unlike ATL, at TPA you have to take the shuttles between the airsides and the main terminal. I almost have to give ATL some credit for being forceful by not allowing the doors to re-open as it keeps the trains moving.
Bill in ATL

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:06 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 26):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 21):

I ment to say that MOST PAX may or may not know the radio alphabet, my point was that maybe its not a good idea to have the airport call it the Bravo Concourse or the Alpha Concourse. People may not know what that means. And I do know the radio alphabet just fine, Mr. Greenland!

That makes no sense. You don't need to know the radio alphabet to figure out that "B for Bravo" means B and "C for Charlie" means C? You probably know the words Bravo or Charlie even without knowing the radio alphabet.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

litz

Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:04 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 37):
That makes no sense. You don't need to know the radio alphabet to figure out that "B for Bravo" means B and "C for Charlie" means C? You probably know the words Bravo or Charlie even without knowing the radio alphabet.

No, but as has been pointed out, the phrase "D as in Delta" is not such a good idea in Atlanta, where Delta is actually concentrated on A and B ...

Phonetically good idea, realistically it is not ...

- litz

isitsafenow

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:23 pm

StarlionBlue..you forgot half the C, a quarter of the D and close to half the E.
D ivert E veryone L ost T o A tlanta is on all concourses.
safe

TLHFLA
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:49 am

With the new international facility there will be a Concourse F. I am not sure if Delta will use that concourse, but if they do they will have flights using all six concourses.
Bill in ATL

WDBRR

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:23 pm

I visited ATL many times in 1994, 1995 and early 1996.
I distinctly remember the message on the train saying:
"The doors do not rebound or spring back"
always made me wonder if this was true or not.

zippyjet

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:14 pm

When it works, I now use the Hotlanta train announcements for my computer's sign on and sign off. Instead of the standard Windows sounds for on and off!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

misbeehavin

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Quoting TLHFLA (Reply 40):
With the new international facility there will be a Concourse F. I am not sure if Delta will use that concourse, but if they do they will have flights using all six concourses.

Delta will have to! There's what, 8 other airlines flying internationally from ATL (AF, AM, BA, JM, KE, KL, LH, and SA. AC's from Concourse C and doesn't count anyway.)? And I don't think any of them fly more than once a day, if even that. Except AF, of course.

As for the train and the announcements, what they really need to do is make it clear that the T concourse is not baggage claim. Every single time the train stops at the T gates, a bunch of people jump off, look around and then most of them come running back in!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos