AIR MALTA
Topic Author

British Airways To Hassi Massaoud

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:17 pm

Good news from BA! I heard rumours about this route and now it is coming true...

British Airways will start flights from London Gatwick to Hassi Messaoud in Algeria from Tuesday 7 June, 2005.
There will be two flights each week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

These flights will be open for sale shortly on ba.com for travel from 7 June 2005.

British Airways also flies from London Gatwick to the Algerian capital, Algiers, five times each week.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Orion737

RE: British Airways To Hassi Massaoud

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:26 pm

Very suprising news. I thought perhaps Oran would be the choice for a second destination in Algeria.

It hasnt ben very long since BA started flights to Algiers after years of neglecting the country completley. Very pleased with this move.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:43 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):
Very suprising news. I thought perhaps Oran would be the choice for a second destination in Algeria

It is not surprising. My father worked for a month in Hassi and there a lot of Britis and Americans who work for oil and gas companies. And that is the aim for this route, high yield... Sfax, Tunisia, could be another oil destination as well as Malabo in Guinea but I don't know if they are planning those services.

TS-IOR

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:46 pm

AIR MALTA,

Sfax is linked to LGW with Nouvelair.
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:48 pm

Quoting Ts-ior (Reply 3):
Sfax is linked to LGW with Nouvelair.

But this situation half charter half regular of Nouvelair is weird. Tunisia needs more scheduled destinations especially the regions. So a BA flight would be very welcome.

HUYfan

Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:58 pm

Astraeus currently fly to Hassi Messoud from London Gatwick several times a week for Jetair. I am unsure how these BA will affect the Astraeus schedule which is currently operating on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, hopefully not too adversely.

Regards

Mike

BigOrange

Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:38 am

The reason there are quite a few flights to Hassi Messaoud is that a lot of companies have travel restricions for their employees.

I used to do the corporate travel for a construction company that had employees out there. They were only allowed to fly direct to London or Paris on the days that the flights operated. They couldn't travel overland to Algiers, because of security concerns.

wassch71

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Travel with Air Algérie to Europe during the summer can get very tough, at both end of the journey. I think it is a very smart move to offer business passengers the option of direct flights to the UK. If it weren't for security concerns, I guess that AF would have done that years ago. They used to fly to many Algerian cities (Oran,Constantine, Annaba, Skikda and I am probably forgetting others) in the seventies and eighties.
Another interesting African addition to BA's African services this summer: it is possible to fly BA from Beirut to Alexandria 4 times a week and to Khartoum 3 times a week. Air services between Sudan and Lebanon had ceased in 1996 after MEA withdrew its flights to Khartoum.
Regards
Wassch71
MEA...Like No Other

cornish

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):
Very suprising news. I thought perhaps Oran would be the choice for a second destination in Algeria.

Would be logical Orion - but Hassi is the centre of Algeria's oil industry. That's the reason its been chosen - entirely for business market purposes
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

BA

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:50 am

Quoting Wassch71 (Reply 7):
Another interesting African addition to BA's African services this summer: it is possible to fly BA from Beirut to Alexandria 4 times a week and to Khartoum 3 times a week.

BA does not have traffic rights on BEY-ALY or BEY-KRT, so it is not possible to book that segment of the flight.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

wassch71

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:30 am

Hi BA

Alexandria and Khartoum flights are offered out of Beirut on BA's timetable (the PDF version) but it's true that they're not bookable online on the same website. It is rather odd... but they are on the timetable.

Regards

Wassch71
MEA...Like No Other

BA

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:49 am

Quoting Wassch71 (Reply 10):
Alexandria and Khartoum flights are offered out of Beirut on BA's timetable (the PDF version) but it's true that they're not bookable online on the same website. It is rather odd... but they are on the timetable.

I believe they also had Damascus and Amman when the Beirut flight used to continue to their (one day of the week it still continues to Damascus I believe), however they also did not have traffic rights to sell the segment.

Neither Egypt nor Sudan have an open skies policy like Lebanon does. It is well known that Egypt is quite strict about regulating their airline industry to protect Egypt Air.

I don't ever see them getting traffic rights on either BEY-ALY or BEY-KRT, but if they do, good for them and good for Beirut.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran