AT
Topic Author

Impact Of Ultralonghauls On Other Flights

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:44 am

When airlines introduce super-long haul service does it hurt revenue on flights to other destinations that they bypass?

The example that comes to mind is Emirates nonstop New York-Dubai flight.
Has it hurt loads on their flights to Europe? I know that a very significant number of passengers on the DXB LHR flights, for example, used to connect to US/Canadian destinations. HAve the loads on the DXB LHR sector fallen since the nonstop to New York commenced?

Also, does anyone know how the Emirates nonstop to New York is doing? How have the loads been? A friend's father flew them several weeks ago and said the flight was not full at all- but that could be an isolated case.

ohthedrama747

RE: Impact Of Ultralonghauls On Other Flights

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:56 am

You raise a valid point but i can't see it hurting their other routes that much. The main reason that comes to mind is because quite a few folk don't like being in an aircraft that long and prefer to stop over at an airport to stretch their legs etc. However i have no hard facts this is just my thoughts.

Cheers,
G

AEROFAN

Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:37 am

There flights out of JFk must be doing well. I've tried non revving on them several times last year and this year and on every occasion I and several other pax have not been able to get a seat because of full flights. And I had J upgrades on every occasion

DAL767400ER

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:56 pm

In this specific case, I would say the loss of pax on the DXB-LON route that used to connect there is offset by the ever increasing number of pax that O&D in London, therefore, this would only mean it will take Emirates a bit longer to add an additional daily flight.

antares

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:50 pm

If you dig around you'll find the SQ long hauls to Los Angeles and Newark have torn the heart out of yields for the US carriers using inferior equipment in terms of range, and enhanced the use of Singapore as a hub for SE Asia.

When larger more ergonomically suitable jets become available, maybe an ultra long haul 747-Advanced or A380-700, the market will migrate to them in a big way.

The 747SP was given sceptical treatment when it introduced non-stop Sydney-Los Angeles flights in about 1978/79.

But that was where the traffic went, and once the 744s came along in 1989 there was no going back to one or two stop trans Pac flights.

AMSMAN

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:21 pm

God - how long does JFK-DXB take?
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

9V-SPF

Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:52 pm

Quoting AMSMAN (Reply 5):
God - how long does JFK-DXB take?

Not that long compared to SIN-EWR.

JFK-DXB takes 12:50, DXB-JFK takes 14:10

ltbewr

Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:59 pm

I would suggest that the Ultralonghauls [ulh] probably have modest impact on other flights. Despite their long seat time, it does mean the total time of travel is less, which is critical for the overwhelming numbers of business passangers whom use the ulh's and has led to them being offered. There are fewer opportunites for mechanical and traffic problems from having to make a refuling stop. While those stop airports may lose income from landing rights, fuel sales, catering services and connected employment in the short run, it probably is replaced in a short time by more and other flights that now have access available to them. It probably opens up more seats and flights on those one stop flights they replace, where there is increasing demand due to trade between Asia and Europe/North America, the most popular routes for ulh's, from flights that replace going to/from their refuling stop airport.