rootsair

Is This Picture Legal?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:15 am

Hi I saw this picture on today's most popular shots.

It was taken during takeoff. Now how did the photographer manage to take the pic? Musn't everyone be sitting while the plane is taking off by law ? Even flight crew must as far as I know

Then tell me how it's possible to take such a pic while taking off ?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Koravee Kamolyabutr

A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Newark777

RE: Is This Picture Legal?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:17 am

Probably a deadhead sitting in the jumpseat. All he would have to do is hold the camera up and take the picture, no standing involved.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

N766UA

He probably just held the camera up above his head.... it's really easy, actually.
This Website Censors Me

Airplanepics

Could of mounted the camera on a tripod and used a shutter release or remote control to take the picture.....
Simon - London-Aviation.com

Starlionblue

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:20 am

Some jumpseats are also a head higher than the pilot seats, for example the one on the DC-9/MD-8x.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

aa777flyer

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:21 am

"legally" yes they must be seated. But I remember going on ferry flights and aisle surfing. You stand on a serving tray at the front of the airplane, and when the airplane takes off you go sliding down the aisle, quite fun!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

rootsair

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:22 am

But thought no one was allowed in the cockpit while taking off ! Unless its a 3rd pilot!
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

UAalltheway

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 6):
But thought no one was allowed in the cockpit while taking off ! Unless its a 3rd pilot!

If it was a deadhead, than no. He could've been taking that flight to get on a flight of his own, who knows. But he was most likely a pilot of Tahi and flew deadhead since the flight was booked or something.

LPLAspotter

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:15 am

Don't know about the 777, but I was fortunate to fly jumpseat on an L1011-500 back in 1985. I sat right behind the captain, and the seat was quite elevated. My knees were about the same level as the top of his head. Great view.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:32 am

The MD-11 first observer seat is almost like a barber chair. You can move it so high, that your feet will rest on the center pedestal. The 757 jump seat is also quite high.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ZRH

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:43 am

I don't understand your question. What's the problem with this picture. At my digital camera I have a screen which I can turn in all directions. This means I can hold my camera above my head and even see what picture I take. This photographer was seated on the jump seat.

IslipWN

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:56 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
Musn't everyone be sitting while the plane is taking off by law ? Even flight crew must as far as I know

Are you trying to find something wrong with how he/she took this picture?

corey07850

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:06 am

I think the fisheye plays tricks on your eyes to make it seem like they are higher than they actually are...

N1120A

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:07 am

No, I think the issue is the RootsAir does not understand why they allowed someone in the cockpit. Airline employees are all allowed in the cockpit, as are invited guests in the airline. This is particularly true in places other than the US (Employees are ok, particularly pilots)
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Accidentally

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting IslipWN (Reply 11):
Are you trying to find something wrong with how he/she took this picture?

Everyone does that with everything here. Don't you know that yet?  Wink
Indianapolis, IN

isitsafenow

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:11 am

If this is take-off, the nose is pitched up, so if you were level and looking out the cockpit window straight-out, you would see sky. I think the camera is angled down to catch ground for a good photo. I'm not a photographer but it makes common sense, yes?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

ZRH

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:11 am

No. It depends on the company's policy. At most airlines you have to know a pilot and he has to give you a cockpit permit and then you can stay in the cockpit for the whole flight. I was lucky to know a MD 11 pilot of Swissair and was allowed to stay in the cockpit while landing at LAX.

gr325

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:12 am

Let's discuss the fact that it is one hell of a shot. Ok I can see the point of the question, don't get me wrong, but I just needed to say that.
"You should have gone to specsavers"

LeonB1985

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:15 am

Some airlines still allow 'members of the public' onto the jumpseat during take-off. Not many, but some...
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

skidmarks

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:19 am

Not a hope in hell of having a tripod in the cockpit Airplanepics. Health & safety and all that. Mind you, I don't know how the Thai authorities woudl view that....................

Quite a nice pic though. At least SOMEONE is getting jump seat rides!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Sabena332

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:20 am

Some airlines still allow jumpseat flights. Last year I had the luck to sit on the cockpit jumpseat on three flights, I hope my next one will be in June.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Maitner777

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:30 am

I don't know...but the captain doesn't look a day over 16? I guess they start training early in Thailand.

Just a thought...

TheRedBaron

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:31 am

If laws had to be broken to make that wonderful shot.....Ill break it anyday...

The best ever jump seat is on the DC-10 / Md11 the side window is like 30 inches high and 20 long...increidle viwe and incredible sun burns....!!!
check my signature,,
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

wdleiser

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:40 am

Lufthansa is one of those airlines that still allow them. Being a family member of one of the crew members helps alot too and along with being polite to the pilots!

Sabena332

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:48 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 23):
Lufthansa is one of those airlines that still allow them.

Wrong! Jumpseat flights on all German airlines are not allowed anymore by law (since September/October 2003). Only the active flight crew is allowed to sit in the cockpit during the flight, nobody else.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

JeffDCA

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:53 am

Why is it that most, if not all the great photos on this site must in some way be declared illegal, or fake by someone or other? Just enjoy the photos for the masterpeices they are people!

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

malaysia

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 am

Well I kinda resent my last jumpseat experiences, I could have taken good pics, but only had a few taken, the reason was I felt it was not legal and also did not want to start clicking a pic behind the pilots, cause I was a guest in the jumpseat and felt like leaving them alone and not bothering them, atleast I just enjoyed the ride.

I always will remember my entire jumpseat ride on a SV 747-468 from IAD-JFK and partially on JFK-JED, but got a bit tired and returned to the cabin.

I do miss the experience of jump seating a NRT approach on an MH 747

these all were before 9/11 and I was not an employee of each carrier.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

keta

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:28 am

That's a great picture! I think it's rather easy to take that photo while being sited.

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 26):
I always will remember my entire jumpseat ride on a SV 747-468

You're lucky! I've never been in a cockpit for more than 10 min.  Sad The last time was on a Lufthansa 744, before 9/11. Since then I've been denied all my requests.

Well, I flew a hole flight on the co-pilot seat, but that was on a Cessna Grand Caravan! Big grin

A month ago I flew on an Iberia A320 MAD-BIO, of course I asked the F/A if I could see the cockpit, and he told me that it was impossible. He even said that a code was needed to enter the cockpit. Can this be true? I got very disappointed  Angry
Where there's a will, there's a way

SkyexRamper

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:39 am

I can't believe a simple question and answer post could get this heated....simple thing is...jumpseater took the pic with a fish eye lense. If he was friends with the captain I'm sure he could've stood since no on else would've seen.

As my name suggests, I'm an airline employee that has gone through numour background and finger print checks, on top of it, I'm a pilot so theres a few more background checks, the FAA, TSA, FBI and post office know who I am, and I still can't aruge the point as to why I should be able to jumpseat. Lets face it...those 13 or so cowards ruinned it for all of us.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

malaysia

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:50 am

Another thing was my coworker went on the same jumpseat on the SV 747 IAD-JFK a later time and he said it was hilarious and a bit annoying in the cockpit, since the Pilot stuck his 2 little daughters in the other jumpseat and they were fighting each other and crying during take-off.

Being in PK jumpseats, the crew still smoked in US airspace and geez I couldnt stand it so I left and it was MVFR in the cockpit,  faint 

I am flying MH tomorrow and I am going to try for the first time since 9/11 to ask to ride in the jumpseat temporarily during daylight break, so I can try getting a better picture, I am going non-rev with my ID and also bringing a hardcopy of my old MH pic of me in the cockpit enroute to NRT a long time ago. maybe it will help me get a picture of myself in the cockpit this time on a digital camera. But I dont know if the sun rises good enough at 5:00am into TPE, or else I have to try again with an entirely different crew from TPE-KUL.

I think this is rather silly, cause I still am too nervous to ask for a business class upgrade, despite Id just ask for the cockpit, maybe if they say no this time, I might ask for business class as a 2nd resort haha. so I dont feel too guilty.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

AT502B

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:29 am

I don't have any idea about the legality of the photo- but what a great pic  eyepopping 
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

yegmaster

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:39 am

I don't know folks, maybe i am way off here but that pic doesn't seem real to me. If you look at the pilots hair is seems to fake to be real and to good to be a hair piece.
Also the skin on both guys seems like something you would find in a wax museum.
Or is it just me?
Cheers

SkyexRamper

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:10 am

Quoting Yegmaster (Reply 31):

Wow, you just single handly insulted the Thai people world wide.

Are you saying that pic is sim with dummies and the best visual system you'll ever find in a sim. Cause its a REAL pic.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Newark777

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:12 am

Quoting Yegmaster (Reply 31):
If you look at the pilots hair is seems to fake to be real and to good to be a hair piece.

Wow, second thread now that the pilot's hair has been analyzed. First it was too long, now it is fake.  Silly

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

yegmaster

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:20 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 32):
Wow, you just single handly insulted the Thai people world wide

And how did i do that????????
I'm sorry if i was so obviously mistaken and will be sure not to do it again.

Cheepers.....

September11

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:23 am

notice that the captain has his sleeve rolled up (right arm) ...
Airliners.net of the Future

MQrampBOS

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:03 pm

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 5):
"legally" yes they must be seated. But I remember going on ferry flights and aisle surfing. You stand on a serving tray at the front of the airplane, and when the airplane takes off you go sliding down the aisle, quite fun!

That does sound fun. I'm gonna have to try that. Sounds like it's worth the assured Career Decision Day spin 
Don't put me on A7! I got out of the airport, so why send me back?

David T

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:17 pm

If you look over the right shoulder of the 1st officer, you can just make out Godzilla wading through the water on his (hers/its) way to Tokyo!

The phototagrapher does not have very many pictures in the database, however why not do what I usually do if I have a question, send an e-mail and ask how he did it!

RAMPRAT980

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:48 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
It was taken during takeoff. Now how did the photographer manage to take the pic? Musn't everyone be sitting while the plane is taking off by law ? Even flight crew must as far as I know

Then tell me how it's possible to take such a pic while taking off ?

DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW THE PIC WAS TAKEN. ANYWAY I ANALYZED THE PICTURE AND IF YOU LOOK REALLY CLOSE YOU CAN SEE THAT THE F/O IS HOLDING A SONY PSP.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

satx

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:12 pm

1. There are so many rules and protocols in aviation that it’s entirely possible that at least one of them was broken in the making of this photo.

2. So what? I just don’t see what is gained by making a big deal out of this.

3. If the picture is a fake, I’m guessing it would have taken some serious time and effort to create. In that case, I’m still impressed, even if it was a fake. Regardless, it’s still a nice picture.

And on that note, thanks for pointing it out!
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

DAYFL

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:40 pm

If this picture is fake, which it is not, then I have to give it up for the meticulous detail. If you look closely at the instruments, the artificial horizon is correct. This is a real picture! I have friends who fly for American and they sit in the jumpseat all of the time when the planes are full and they need to get somewhere. Why not bust out the camera?

An-225

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Why not just ask the photographer? As for legality of the picture, he was probably a crew member who has jumpseat authorization. Nothing wrong with that.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

chicoco

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:06 pm

RootsAir,

just love the picture,my pulse rate would be off the scale.If you have connections with airlines you can in some instances get to visit cockpits, even today.

emrecan

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:43 pm

It ýs a great picture.. What are you trying to do? Why do you ask is it legal?
If he didn't take this picture, would we have a chance to see a great photo like this????

IT IS A GREAT PICTURE...

nitzer280

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:02 pm

Am I the only one that thinks both those pilots are just mannequins?  Smile

LPLAspotter

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:07 pm

First: What a great picture!!!!!!!!!!

If some of you make it to the cockpit to take pictures, don't do what I did on an AF 747 from NBO to RUN. As I was taking pictures (with an underwater camera) of Mount Kilimanjaro through my window, a nice F/A said: "Oh, those windows are all scratched, I'll ask the captain if you can take one in the cockpit". Wow, I was thrilled, and even more so when she came back and told me to follow her upstairs.

The pilots and FE were very nice and encouraged me to take pictures. Mt. Kilimanjaro was on the right so I wedged myself between the FE panel and the FO seat and tried to take a picture. Oops, no more film, so I opened the camera forgetting that I loaded it at sea level   . POP! The poor FO ducked and looked scared sh%$#less for about 5 seconds until everyone realized what had happened. Being embarrassed, I just sat in the jumpseat and didn't take any pictures.

I'm glad AF still allows people in the cockpit to take pictures! Hey, I wonder if any rules were broken here?

LPLAspotter

[Edited 2005-04-11 10:09:35]
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

wing

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:09 pm

A month ago I flew on an Iberia A320 MAD-BIO, of course I asked the F/A if I could see the cockpit, and he told me that it was impossible. He even said that a code was needed to enter the cockpit. Can this be true? I got very disappointed

After 9/11 cockpit doors are fitted with a bullet proof digital code locked doors.We change and decide the new code at the preflight briefings with the purser.But anyway they mostly call us from the FA atation to enter and we open the lock from inside since if the unlock code is dialed from the outside it sounds an annoying alarm buzzer(to warn the pilots if we would like to override the code entry since someone may put a gun through the FA and force her/him to dial the code)

Back to original topic;

I personally as a line pilot,getting very annoyed form these snitching type posts.Its very unfair to those crews who allow you to their work environment and you try hard to find something to accuse them on an internet forum.Because of these attitudes I don't allow anyone to look or take a picture of the cockpit even on the ground anymore.I know that some enthusiasts are becoming very upset when turned down but I don't want to read any sort of stupid comments and wild guesses about my flight on the internet forums.In one of the previous post I read the terrorist ruined the joy of cockpit visits which I totally agree,these kind of posts make it even worst.

One final word to the original post.Jumpseat occupancy of people other than the pilots depends on the company policy.Some of them allow while others restrict it.Its always possible if you know the pilots and they know you are not a member of any terrorist organisation  Smile they may let you in for the ride depending on the captains decision.He will make this decision depending on the ongoing work in the cockpit.The chances are higher in the middle of a 3 hour cruise rather than 10 mins to descent.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

Bruce

Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Quoting Nitzer280 (Reply 44):
Am I the only one that thinks both those pilots are just mannequins

I didn't want to be the first to say it..... there is something about their skin tone and texture that just doesn't look like I would expect it too. I dont know, perhaps it is real or maybe it is a simulator? The view out the windshield looks almost TOO clean. Something about that photo......

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

VHXLR8

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:03 pm

Quoting Chicoco (Reply 42):
If you have connections with airlines you can in some instances get to visit cockpits, even today.

Sadly though, it's getting more and more restricted. At the moment, it's really only flight crew that can sit in the jumpseat (pilots and flight attendants), and for flight attendants it's only when you are part of the operating crew. Anyone else is a big NO NO.

ba299

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 24):
Wrong! Jumpseat flights on all German airlines are not allowed anymore by law (since September/October 2003). Only the active flight crew is allowed to sit in the cockpit during the flight, nobody else.

The last 2 times that I flew LH I got the Jumpeast. Once offered by the gate agent and once by the captain..