Amy
Topic Author

What's It Like To Be On A Go-around?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:01 am

I saw 2 go-arounds at Heathrow yesterday, a VS A340-300 and a BA 747-436. It was an awesome sight (and sound!) from where we were just underneath, but what's it like inside?

Is there a surge of acceleration and lots of noise? What does the captain say to the passangers?

Thanks
A340-300 - slow, but awesome!

Newark777

RE: What's It Like To Be On A Go-around?

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 am

The one I was on, a CO 737 coming into EWR, it was a normal approach until we got close to the threshold. At that point, the engines revved up to max power and the captain started to pull the plane back up. We started to pull some good G's as we started to ascend, and we just shot up. The captain then calmly got on the PA and said the plane ahead of us was still on the runway, and we had to go around and try again.

The way the captain sounded did a lot to calm down the passengers that got worried and didn't know what was going on. A very unique experience, and quite exciting if you know what is going on. If you don't, I can see how it can be terrifying.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

DLKAPA

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting Amy (Thread starter):
What does the captain say to the passangers?

Ladies and gentleman, as you have probably noticed, the distance between the ground and the airplane is increasing along with the noise level, this is accompanied by the fact that we are going up instead of down.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

starrion

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:08 am

I was on an approach into Boston after an exhausting 36 hour trip from Hong Kong. Normal approach, all of a sudden I heard the engines spool up and felt the nose come up. Then the gear and flaps retracted. After we were back at altitude the captain said a plane was "stuck" on the runway. We waited for 30 minutes, then just as we were about to divert to PVD they got the plane off the runway and we landed normally.

Turned out that a Fedex jet either an MD-11 or MD-10 had blown it's #3 on takeoff and aborted on the runway.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

jetboyflyhi

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:27 am

There is nothing like the feeling and hearing the sounds of a Go Around. Some are less powerful then others. It all depends on the Aircraft type and runway situation. Also if the gear are down and then retract.(the added sound of gear going up). I as a Flight Attendant love the feeling but if you are on a 45 min or less turn around.....it sucks as well as for the pax with tight connections!
Chicken or Beef?

Amy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:33 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 2):
Ladies and gentleman, as you have probably noticed, the distance between the ground and the airplane is increasing along with the noise level, this is accompanied by the fact that we are going up instead of down.

Thanks, that's so useful. You've obviously had this experience many times and can post knowlegably on the subject.

Jetboyflyhi, Starrion, Newark777, thanks for your replies. I guessed this was roughly what would happen.

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:45 am

My one and only was on a Southwest 737-700 with winglets. We were on final to BWI from ORF when the plane pitched up, power was applied, and the gear and flaps were retracted. At first it's really quiet and you are seemingly hanging in mid-air, then it's very loud and the G's can be felt. Our go-around was a little more unique because it was quite windy that day and we were bouncing all around.

n844aa

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:02 pm

I had a pretty cool go-around experience on an AA 777 going into MIA. It was early fall and sudden thunderstorms, if not a mainstay of Miami falls, certainly were a problem that day.

We were coming in over the Everglades on a bright, sunny day. I'd flown into MIA a few times before, so everything seemed normal until right when we crossed over the line of "civilization" that characterizes the eastern edge of the Everglades. All of a sudden we flew into what looked like a thick bank of fog. Rain began to pelt and sheet down the windows and all of a sudden, it got really dark outside and the plane began to bump and pitch around.

We continued descending into the darkness, so to speak, when all of a sudden the mighty beast shuddered and those huge-ass engines began spooling up. We flew out of the turbulence and, all of a sudden, we were back out in sunlight.

The pilot took the plane out over the Atlantic and headed back toward MIA. Again we passed into the bank of clouds and descended for, oh, I don't know how long. A minute maybe? And again, the pilot executed a go-around. We did this twice more before the pilot announced that the fuel dictated our diversion to FLL.

I had a great time on the go-arounds, even though it meant that I missed my charter flight to HAV later that day. It was a cool experience, though, because I love final approaches and I got four-halves and one full one into FLL that day. Plus I love turbulence. If you could find 300 similarly insane people, you could probably run a pretty successful airline doing nothing but flying missed approaches.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

spotter

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:12 pm

I had my one and only "Go-around" on a BA 747 about two years ago flying into LHR from YYZ. Normal approach, sun just begining to rise and the city of London clearly visible. Noticed the little houses getting larger, when the engines spooled up and we made the most incredible climb and turn like the pilot all of a sudden thought he was flying a fighter jet. Must have been spectacular for any spotters that morning, and must say was the most memorable flying experience I have ever had. Most passengers looked very worried and nervous from the sudden scream from the engines, I was incomplete AW!!
Thanks to the aircraft stuck on the runway, you made my morning.

pl4nekr4zy

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:16 pm

N844AA: Let me get this straight... Are you saying you were on a flight that had to go-around FOUR times??? Are you sure?
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

Newark777

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 9):
N844AA: Let me get this straight... Are you saying you were on a flight that had to go-around FOUR times??? Are you sure?

I've actually heard of it happening before. If they think they can make it, they will try again. Four may seem like a lot, but I have seen it at least once before.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

n844aa

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Possibly three, though I'm pretty sure it was four. I wrote a trip report about the incident; I should track that down that thread and confirm my recollection.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind the number of go-arounds; I guess they thought that the weather would be clearing imminently. But between the go-arounds and circling FLL before landing, the flight crew exceeded their daily on-duty hours before we could take off from FLL to finally make it to MIA (as the plan originally had been.) We wound up having to take a bus.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

Carpethead

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:32 pm

I have experienced three go-arounds:

1. UA DC-10 back in '97 from ORD to LAX. Nice to have Ch.9 when the ATC instructs the flight to go-around over the lights. The pilots went immediately to full power. There apparently was still traffic on the runway.

2. TK A343 inbound for IST a few years ago. No apparent reason. The pilots didn't even come on the intercom.

3. NH 763 a couple of years ago from HND to Kagoshima. The airport was at minimums and the pilots did a missed approached at the decision height. We circled for a 30 minutes until the fog cleared.

TheGov

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:33 pm

I had the pleasure of sitting in a window seat adjacent to the #1 engine on a Delta L-1011 that did a go-around. We were travelling DFW-ATL when this event occurred. It was awesome to hear the RB211s spool up and to hear the clunking of the landing gear as it got tucked in to the wheel wells. It didn't seem to bother the passengers much. I wouldn't have minded it so much, but I had put off going to the restroom knowing that we would be on the ground in a couple of minutes. The go-around added 20 minutes to the trip and increased my bladder size greatly. From that point on, if I ever had to go anywhere close to my destination, I always took advantage of the chance before the fasten seat belt sign was turned on.
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

wjcandee

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:39 pm

There was an mpg of a Finnair MD-11 flight from HEL to JFK on here a few weeks ago. After a lengthy transatlantic flight, right after the mechanical female voice announces "minimums", the tower says "Finnair 5, go around. Traffic IS on the runway." The captain (flying) calmly and quietly says, "Go around" and with imperceptible motions of his hands, you can see the pitch change on the attitude indicator and the throttles smoothly advanced. The f/o's hands flick over a couple of contols (flaps, landing gear handle, autopilot panel) as he announces what he's doing and as he listens to the Tower instruct the a/c to turn left to a heading and dial in the Canarsie VOR. It's a high-workload event, but they handle it as if they had expected it all along. Very calm and very professional. (Actually, they probably did anticipate at least the possibility of the go-round. The recalcitrant a/c on the runway, an American flight, has received at least two messages from the Tower to the effect that it needs to get off the runway, "American 160, quick as you can for me." "Wilco." Yeah. And obviously they could see that it was still there, although you can't see that on the video.) What is interesting is how relaxed, unannoyed and calmly they execute the maneuver. In some sense, it's no big deal.

But tell that to the passengers. On a Shuttle flight from Boston a few years ago, we did a go-around coming into LGA. The gaggle of drunk women seated in the several rows behind me, all returning from a company meeting and laughing and chatting as we got within a couple hundred feet of the ground, changed their tune as the maneuver started. It's pretty fun in the back of a 727, particularly if it comes as late as it seemed to here. Engines start to spool up to takeoff thrust, flaps retract, gear comes up, nose glides smoothly up to climb attitude. My seatmates didn't see it that way; they literally started screaming "Oh, my god, we're going to die!" Repeatedly. It is interesting when you don't know *why* you're not landing, but, hey, if you're still flying, so far so good. And most reasons aren't ones such that you should think that there's something wrong with the a/c that would put your life in peril, as these folks plainly did. We were a long time into the go-around (like 5 minutes) before the captain came on to explain. He said he had seen the doors open on the firehouse and the equipment start to emerge to handle something on the intersecting runway, and he decided to go around just in case they got a little too eager and crossed our runway in front of us. The folks behind me, who had settled down somewhat, started claiming loudly, "Now that's just bullshit." Don't know whether they didn't believe him, or thought that he shouldn't have done it, or that he should have told us sooner why he did it. Regardless, I wasn't particularly concerned what they thought.

It actually was a fun ride, but I do see how it can be disconcerting to folks who have no understanding of the process.

Best,

Bill

DLKAPA

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 pm

Quoting Amy (Reply 5):
Thanks, that's so useful. You've obviously had this experience many times and can post knowlegably on the subject.

My apologies for your lack of a sense of humor  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

IslipWN

Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:58 pm

I've experienced 3 go-arounds. One time I was on a KW flight from FLL to ISP. Coming into ISP was very foggy. As we were coming in, It started pouring rain, and got very dark. All of a sudden, increase in throttle, landing grear up, ascending in the air....go-around! It got so bad that after circling for 30 minutes, we had to land in Hartford, CT. According to the captain, it was due to weather.

The second time was FLL-BWI-ISP. Basically the same thing. FLL to BWI was fine. BWI to ISP was not. The flight had been cancelled, and than all of a sudden they came over the loud speaker saying anyone going to ISP, board from gate XX. Once we took off, it was soooo turbulent. Someone screamed out "we are all going to die!!", and then some girl screamed. Anyways, as we were coming into ISP, we did a go-around and went to PVD. After a while at PVD, they decided the weather was good enough to land at ISP. So we took off, went back to ISP, and sure enough, did another go-around and than the captain came over the p.a. and said we are going back to BWI. We went back to BWI and we had a choice of either staying in a hotel or staying in the airport. Of course, I chose to stay at the airport and wandered around for the next 8 hours!

The last time was coming into PBI. There was traffic still on the runway. But this go-around was the most intense. We were so close to touching down. When we went back up, I got light headed (which never happens) and was pushed back into my seat. It was all good though!

Joe

DeltaMIA

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 9):
Are you saying you were on a flight that had to go-around FOUR times??? Are you sure?

I was on a 757 from SAV to ATL that went around 3 times in ATL before finally landing on the 4th try. Something about inconsistencies on VFR or something.

I have also done it 4 times on a US DH8 into HVN in the morning fog. Captain was going to try it one more time and if he couldn't see the tower we were going to BDL. We made it on the 5th try.

Also tried 3 landings in MLB in smoke on a M88 during the Florida fires of 1999. We didn't try again and went to MCO.

I know first hands it happens.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

wjcandee

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:02 pm

Hey, DLKAPA. Just 'cause she doesn't post a smilie doesn't mean she doesn't get the joke. And she was thanking you for your comments! Only on a.net.

DeltaMIA

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:04 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 15):
My apologies for your lack of a sense of humor

I found it funny

Is there a surge of acceleration and lots of noise? What does the captain say to the passangers?

Its like taking off again except for the noise of the gear and flaps retracting at the same time.

The captain just tells you what's up although it is never their fault. "Air Traffic Control got us too close to the aircraft in front us, so we had to go around and get back in the pattern. We should be on the ground in about 10-15 mintues." Pretty basic.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

ACDC8

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:06 pm

I've had 2 go-arounds (as a pax, many more as a pilot), and all I can say is...FUN, FUN, FUN!

Both were due to the airports being fogged in. The first was on a WestJet 737-200 flying YVR-YLW. We couldn't make the first attempt so we went around and made it the second time. Then flying from HHN-GRO with a Ryanair 737-800, first attempt failed so we ended up circling for about 30 minutes with another 737 coming in from STN. Anyways, we went for our second attempt and the visibility was still poor. I kept watching out the window and said, we're not gonna make it. 2 seconds later, we hit the runway and went into full reverse and lots of braking. Wow! Everyone was clapping and kept clapping until we reached the terminal, that was cool. As we were leaving the a/c you could hear the other 737 in his 2nd missed approach.

Just the sense of the engines spooling up again and going into a climb, I find it so exciting.

I can't wait for my first go-around in a heavy!  bouncy 

cheers,
Patrick

[Edited 2005-04-11 06:07:04]
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

pl4nekr4zy

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:14 pm

Man N844AA, so many go-arounds in one flight... pretty sweet! I'd like to experience something like that some day, long as it's nothing of any immediate danger. Makes a single go-around seem dull!
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

wjcandee

Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:15 pm

Now, I know that a go-around isn't necessarily a missed approach, and that breaking off an approach at, say, 1000 feet AGL and being sent back up and into the pattern again isn't necessarily a "missed" approach. But I am curious about something raised by some of the responsive posts here that maybe an ATP pilot can answer.

I had been under the impression that most US carriers had rules about how many missed approaches one can make due to weather before being required to go to an alternate. I seem to remember that criticism coming out of, IIRC, the KAL crash several years ago where the pilot made multiple missed approaches in difficult weather conditions before crashing on the nth approach. (I don't remember how many he tried, but if I had to guess at my recollection, it was like the 5th one that crashed on.) When KAL brought Delta in for what turned out to be their now-famously-brutal assessment of KAL's cockpit practices and procedures, I thought that I remembered one criticism being that there wasn't this kind of policy-driven limitation that would prevent a kind of "go-fever", "I think I can make it next time" mentality from overtaking a pilot's better judgment. Or maybe that was an official criticism of the pilots in this case. So, my question is, with respect to weather-related missed approaches, do most US carriers have a limitation on how many one can make without diverting (or doing something other than setting up for yet another run at it)?

Best,

Bill

UAopsMGR

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 pm

I've encountered one personally. 747-4 from IAD-LAX. Super foggy on approach. We came out of the fog right over the 405 and seconds later the speed and attitude of the AC transitioned to climb. It was exciting for me, but more entertaining looking at the other psgrs trying to figure out what happened. The captain said the AC in front of us had not cleared the runway.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.- Homer Simpson

SLUAviator

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:40 pm

I am not sure what the rules are for an airline and how many shots they have at the approach before they go to their alternate. I do know that airlines need to have the approach minimums met before they can even try to go past the initial approach fix. Its not like FAR part 91 where I can shoot the approach even when I know it is below minimums.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

n844aa

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 21):
Man N844AA, so many go-arounds in one flight... pretty sweet! I'd like to experience something like that some day, long as it's nothing of any immediate danger. Makes a single go-around seem dull!

Yeah, it was definitely a cool experience. The rainstorm only enhanced the fun. I thought it was pretty exciting, though I imagine any infrequent or apprehensive fliers must have been pretty concerned about the whole situation, though I didn't notice any obvious panic or anything close to it.

N317AS

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:46 pm

The only thing I can come close to on this topic is on a yet to be delivered 747-400, I believe it was for KLM, we shot ten touch and gos at MWH. The feeling of throtteling up, and the noise is incredible. Also the beauty of only 0 other people on board was great.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

zotan

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:54 pm

Ive had two. The first, a Southwest 733 from OAK-SAN, was more of a missed approach then a go-around and you couldnt really feel the acceleration, but still worth a mentioning. The second was on a US 767 from PHL-CDG. At around maybe 500 feet you could hear the engines start to scream and we started to climb. THe gear and flaps come up, we hold for about 20 minutes and then land. THe pilot said it was due to "traffic". Has anyone ever done a touch and go in a commercial plane? Now that would be something to remember.

BEG2IAH

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:57 pm

My first (and only) go-around was on a CO772ER. We were just about to land at CDG, and at a height of some 200 feet, engines spooled and those beauties of GE90s showed us what they are capable of doing. The sound and feeling were just great. I was a bit nervous at first, but the captain told us that another aircraft did not clear the runway. It took us about 10 minutes to get back and land. It was a great site, because I could see more than 10 other planes lining up to land.

By the way, this is THE GE90 of that very plane that I photographed just before we took off from EWR.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Ivan Tasic

BEG2IAH

[Edited 2005-04-11 08:01:45]
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

PolAir

Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:57 pm

Experienced two as pax, both same flight. It was a KLM 743, JFK, late summer. Nasty storm, lots of rain, very turbulent... Don't even recall what capt said, as was busy soiling my pants Smile

flyboy1980

Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:11 pm

When I was F/A on a flight meant to land at DUD, but was fog bound we had about 3 attempts at landing, and all 3 ended in go-arounds.

First was kind of exciting, felt a bit like take off but the G forces were a bit stronger. Pax weren't that suprised by it as they had been warned that DUD was foggy. By the third go around the pax were just getting annoyed, and got even more so when we flew back to CHC, where the flight started!

Had another go-around at WLG, foggy weather once again. No big deal.

Amy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 15):
My apologies for your lack of a sense of humor

I have a sense of humour, that just wasn't funny  flamed 

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences! It's a great thing to watch from the ground and it sounds like it's good to experience on board too! I look forward to my first go-around from on board the aircraft.

jonty

Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:59 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
Both were due to the airports being fogged in. The first was on a WestJet 737-200 flying YVR-YLW. We couldn't make the first attempt so we went around and made it the second time. Then flying from HHN-GRO with a Ryanair 737-800, first attempt failed so we ended up circling for about 30 minutes with another 737 coming in from STN. Anyways, we went for our second attempt and the visibility was still poor.

Quoting Flyboy1980 (Reply 30):
When I was F/A on a flight meant to land at DUD, but was fog bound we had about 3 attempts at landing, and all 3 ended in go-arounds.

sorry if this is a stupid question but when its foggy why don't pilots just use the ils to land the plane. Thats what a pilot did on a MAD-LTN flight I was on with easyjet. There was quite a bit of turbulance and visibility was very low, and so he came on the intercom and said "visibility is very low and we can't really see much up here so were just gonna let the plane land itself, and we'll be on the ground in __minutes (I can't remember)!
Very fun with all the turbulance like, every time we dropped everyone let out an "euuugh", lots of water thrown up by the reversers on landing, but as it was easyJet and LTN just the aeroplane's stairs, no jetty thing, so we all got very wet! Actually I prefer that!

jush

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:16 pm

I fly FRA-GRU-SCL on Friday on an LH A346 and i just hope i can get a nice go around on that beautiful 600.... would be amazing i reckon...
Anyway very nice to read all your experiences.. i think i would pee my pants after the 3rd go around...

cheers
matt
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Brasuca

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:31 pm

I experienced it past month on board a Varig MD-11 flight between GIG and BSB. We departed GIG on time, with favourable weather. However our descent into BSB was quite severe with turbulence amid thunderstorm clouds and spoilers applied almost all the time (don't know why! confused  )

We overflew for about 10 minutes damn low. Gears down, full flaps and the three-holers MD-11 rapidly retracted gears up and flaps, in a full throtle aborting.
Just imagine one MD-11 with only about 9% of fuel climbing sharply, how fast and amazing it was!

The Captain stated twice that this was a common procedure and the aircraft was perfectly okay and we were going to wait in a remote position in Northren Brasília until weather allows landings. Nobody showed any undermost feeling of worry.

I could see in screens that we remained circling between 9000 and 10000 feet, turning around. I had to close my window vest, as I was becoming too dizzy seeing all those curves.
The land was quite rough as well, we touched the runway abruptly, applying full reverse, and I believe max breaking too.

Can't wait for my next go-around(s) too hehe  hyper 
Varig, Varig, Varig

PM

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Well, maybe I'm just unlucky (though I prefer to think of it as 'lucky') but I've had TEN!

SAA 747SP @ PER
easyJet 733 @ NCE
SR DC-10 @ JFK
SR MD-81 @ BHX
SR MD-81 @ ZRH
SR MD-11 @ ZRH
SR A310 @ MAN
BA Concorde @ JFK
BA 744 @ MIA
VS 742 @ MIA

They've all be "fun" and the reason has usually been another aircraft on the runway. The pilots come on, all very matter-of-fact, and we go round and try again.

Some have been in bad weather (the BA 744 at MIA, for example) and one (Concorde) was because a warning light in the cockpit alerted the crew to the fact that the gear might not be locked down. (It was.)

My 'favourite' was a night landing at BHX in a strong wind. We rocked and rolled on approach until the Captain came on to tell us he was going to try again. Up we went while the F/A sitting across the aisle from me took out the emergency card and began studying it. That inspired confidence!

Peter

osteogenesis

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:07 pm

On a Mexicana 727 from GDL to MEX the pilot only got 2 greens. He made a slow pas at the tower, so that they could check if the 3 bogey was out. They confirmed it but where not sure if it was properly locked.

The pilot didn't inform the passengers. I talked to him after the flight and he told me what had happened and that he was sure it was only a problem with the light.

pilot kaz

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:18 pm

I saw 2 go-arounds at Heathrow yesterday, a VS A340-300 and a BA 747-436.

Dude that was frikking cool  Silly
-

fbgdavidson

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:53 pm

I've had at least one in memory which was a BA 747 landing at LHR coming back from JFK. Just on final approach on 27R I saw the car parks get closer and then engines spooled up and heard the nosewheel retracting. Some passengers behind thought it apt to scream during the procedure...The crew were too busy to tell us what was going on and didn't come over on the PA system until we were on approach for second attempt.

I once went to LHR to pick my parents up about 5yrs ago and as I saw Concorde coming in on 9L it went for go round, that was pretty amazing to see and hear
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

NWADC9

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:11 pm

What does the captain say to the passangers?

Oh, forgot to show you something Big grin

For me, none Sad But I'd love to be on a go-around with either the RJ-85, 747-400, or 757-200 that I'm taking this Saturday Big grin
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Amy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:22 pm

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 37):
Dude that was frikking cool

Kazzie!!!!!!

Yeah it was! The VS was my first go around!! (that I seen) tho we were closer to the 747 so it was louder. Can't beat those RB-211s on takeoff power but i wouldn't sniff at the 737's engine of choise either. The A340-300 is a tad lardy so she didn't quite thunder off like the 747 did, but still a great noise!

I was too busy grinning all over my chops to notice but was there a cheer when that 747 hit full moo? I'd wager there was!  bouncy 

FLZero

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:34 pm

Amy,

I was walking across the park at Myrtle Avenue on my way to 27R watching VS602 approach and listening to the Tower freq. As it disappeared behind the BA multi-storey car park the Tower calmy requested "Virgin 602 go around, go around. Virgin 602 calmly answered "Virgin 602,OK" She then appeared in a steep climb from behind the BA Maintenance Hangar on the Eastern Perimeter Road, so I reckon that she was well over the long-term car park before the go around was instructed. The Tower then held a take-off from 27L.

On VS602 second approach the captain/FO asked for the reason for the go around. Tower replied that a company jet was crossing 27R and had given way to another company jet (presumably on the taxiway) and had left his tail overhanging the runway.

All in all, a perfect example of a well thought out system working as it should with no-one being other than completely cool. Well done, Tower and crew.

Zero.

DeltaMD11

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:41 pm

My only go-around was a few years back in a DL MD-88 on approach to ATL. We were still about 3 miles out from the airport on finals and everything was seemingly normal and then all of the sudden the engines start to roar (I was sitting right infront of the #1 so it was a neat experience back there), I could hear the gear grinding up, and the flaps were retracted quite a bit. A few moments later the FO came on and said that we had to go around and re-enter the pattern because we were following the aircraft ahead of us too closely and that the aircraft would not have enough time to exit the runway as we were landing. We made a huge bank to the right, pretty much in one giant circle, re-established on the slope and we were down within a few minutes. Still arrived ahead of schedule which was nice.
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

dc-10 levo

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:46 pm

I've only been on an aircraft that had to go around once (TCX A320 at EMA) and to be honest I think that 50% of the passengers didn't realize we were climbing Big grin. Pilot didn't say anything.

DC-10

tinpusher007

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:53 pm

As a commercial pilot and CFII, I have practiced and performed many go-arounds. But my one and only experience on an airliner was on a DL MD-88 from ATL to DAB. It was after one of the many hurricanes FL suffered through late last year. It was the day after they opened the airport and we were the first flight in.

I had flown a red-eye from LAS to ATL. Anyway, when we got near DAB and prepared to land, the pilot accidentally lined up with rwy 17 at OMN (3,500 x 100) instead of rwy 16 at DAB (6,001 x 150). We were in the flare and no more than say 50ft AGL when the PF hit the power and up we went and then quckly back down to rwy 16 at DAB. It all happened very quickly as DAB is only about 15nm or so south of OMN. The pilots clearly made a mistake and if we touched down at OMN...we would not have been able to stop in 2,500 ft after floating in the flare.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

N405MX

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:25 am

It feels weird, actually because you think you´re landing and suddenly power up, and up you go  sour  , as aviation entusiast, it feels great, all power applied.

I was on a MEX-TAM flight really windy that night at TAM (35kts, 45kts gusts)really shaky, and the pilot made the go-around because the wind moved us from the runway before touchdown.

The other one I saw it here in MTY, an F100 making a Touch and Go because a vehicle entered the runway.

From the inside and outside you see it like a take off, no big difference, but inside, like I said before, you´re prepared for landing and suddenly all up!  vomit 
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

cxsjr

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:50 am

I've experienced two G/A's ....

First was on an MH 744. We'd flown from KUL (the old Subang Int'l), supposedly to land in LHR. 15 minutes before we were due to land, fog dropped to the point that LHR was closed. We diverted to LGW where the landing was heavy, to say the least, as it too was heavily fog bound.

We were detained onboard at LGW for 2 1/2 hours before we took off, bound for LHR (my pal was gutted as he only live 10 mins from LGW!). We were about to land in LHR and the pilot decided he wasn't happy with his approach and pulled up. We'd only taken on enough fuel for a short flight thus the acceleration and climb was amazing. However, following the heavy landing at LGW, imagine how many of the non-aviation minded pax were in somewhat of a panic by now! Second attempt was fine but I have to say I too was happy to be back on solid ground.

Second one was on approach to SKG on a Monarch 733. We'd flown the short trip from JSI (Skiathos) and, due to the short runway there, were scheduled to put down in SKG for fuel. Very low over the water, the captain applied full power, retracted the gear and flaps and banked very sharply to the right. Apparently, ATC had cleared a light aircraft for take off straight towards us on the parallel runway! That was more impressive due to the sharp bank over the water and full power.

Only 49 commercial flights with 2 G/A's, quite a high ratio. Since then (1993), I've flown about another 240 times with not one G/A. Must be due another one soon!

[Edited 2005-04-11 17:54:26]

[Edited 2005-04-11 17:57:13]
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

Diatom

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:01 am

Mine was on a GF 763 approaching Niarob (where I believe there is no ILS).

Anyway, on this particular day about two and a half years ago there was a lot of low lying cloud - so on the approach we were flying through cloud (which is excellent as it really gives you an appreciation of how fast you are going) with glimpses of the plains beneath the plane (poetic, eh?).

I was half expecting the go around as I could hear the Capitan spooling the engines up and down on the approach presumably to see where he was going to come out of the cloud. When it happened the engines thundered in to life and the plane shot back in to the sky - felt like it was steeper than a take off but that might have been the excitement of it that did that. Being pinned to your seat, racing through broken cloud, watching the flaps retract and hearing the gear clonk up underneath you is quite an experience!

The captain was very calm and professional about it when he explained what happened. We headed off somewhere for about 15 minutes, turned around a tried it again, and that time he hit the spot and got the plane down. Funny thing was that nobody seemed that alarmed - presumably people who fly in to Africa are hardened to this sort of thing!

YYZYYT

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:19 am

I consider myself lucky - 4 missed approaches / go arounds, including two the very memorable ones:

"the plane ahead of us hit a goose on the runway with its propeller... it'll take a few minutes to clean up" (Toronto City Centre).

Also, landing at Vancouver where our 340 couldn't lower its flaps. That was great, we had an extra 45 minutes circling over the water and a "precautionary" landing accompanied by the fire brigade to boot! They only announced that there was a problem, but never said what it was. It was only those with window seats at the back (and who had some idea what to look for) who could see that the flaps never erxtneded, on either approach.

Quoting N844AA (Reply 7):
If you could find 300 similarly insane people, you could probably run a pretty successful airline doing nothing but flying missed approaches

Sign me up and give me a frequent flyer card.

andz

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:32 am

Had it twice...once on an SAA 744 going into LHR. I was in a C seat and a kid in A (about 13) was on his first flight, he was pretty excited and asking all sorts of questions every time the plane made a noise (flaps, gear, engines throttling back after takeoff etc) and after a while it got pretty annoying.

Anyway on approach to LHR we were over the runway when it was suddenly thrust and nose up, and I mean UP! The kid was panic stricken and asked what was happening, I just shook my head and said "not good...not good at all" He was white knuckles till the captain told us what had happened: the plane in front was too slow turning off.

The second time was a Finnair 320 into CDG, no biggie except that it saved me spending 45 minutes longer in that godawful airport.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...