MCMAHONSMR
Topic Author

Aer Lingus To Expand Fastpass Kiosk Check-in

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:24 am

Due to the success of the FastPass Kiosks at Dublin Airport, Aer Lingus have announced that they have expanded the service at LHR by 8 kiosks. And, the airline has announced plans to install further kiosks at ORK, SNN and JFK over the "coming weeks" according to aerlingus.com

On a personal note I have used it and I found it to be the best self-service check-in around. I've used AA, CO, US, DL, EI, BD and BA and this system is amazing. You can even use it when travelling on a paper ticket . . . recently I travelled DUB-LHR-JFK (EI/AA)and obtained boarding passes for both segments. The baggage drop was very simple . . . kudos to the airline for this development. . . . and I have been a long time critic! And, for us nuts who collect boarding card stubs they even issue real boarding cards!

ei2ksea

RE: Aer Lingus To Expand Fastpass Kiosk Check-in

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:24 pm

Kudos also must be awarded to IBM who were responsible for the technical side of things. This is quite a turnaround, in the first few months it looked as though the kiosks were a disaster with a tiny percentage of passengers using them even with a big effort to tempt passengers to try them out. Thankfully some refined processes have made it lot more efficient and use friendly since its inception.

Regards
ph
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

Murtagh1108

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:59 pm

I used the Fast Pass check in this weekend for the EI602 to Amsterdam.
All the kiosks around me were being used (Check in at DUB at 5.30am is the busiest part of the day for departures).
I had my "red" (!) boarding card issued in 60 seconds flat. You then take your bag and dump it off at the relevant belt after it gets labelled by check-in staff.
Super quick check-in. Very impressive.

The only drawback is that each time you touch the screen, it 'beeps'...and there is a lot of 'beeping' noise in the area..

Can these machines be made more quiet please, Aer Lingus?!  Wink

PerthGloryFan

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:09 pm

Have to agree - made check in a pleasure - used the kiosk in DUB early in January this year.

Entered our e-ticket ref number, selected our seats, got our boarding passes then checked in our bags and off to the bar for a Guiness in about the time it took me to type this - well I am very slow two-finger typist!

The system will accept other dox with your name, e.g, credit card, too.

Very intuitive touch screen - there a couple of staff on hand to help if needed - an 80 something grandmother type was a little unsure of herself but was all smiles after 15 seconds.

The sooner such systems are more common around the world the better it will be for pax

PGF

shamrock350

Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:04 am

This is good news for passengers. I have used them before and it was breeze. Be cool to see them a LHR.

ei2ksea

Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:53 am

I was surprsied last year whilst working in the US at how prolific these self-service systems are compared to europe. NWA seemed to have completely swapped to self-service at PVD (1 supervisor for about 5/6 desks) and SLC and in BOS most of the majors also use them. The next nice thing for Aer Lingus would be online check-in. Surprising FR havent tried this yet - let the customers use their own paper - sounds like MO'L style!!
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)