Congress Gets Into The Fight Over Subsidies

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:16 pm

Not that this is a surprise...

Today, the US Senate passed S. Con. Res. 25, entitled: A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of Congress regarding the application of Airbus for launch aid.

All info, including the text of the resolution, can be found here:
Now, in real world terms, this bill means nothing. It's a non-binding resolution which is basically saying "here's our opinion." But, it could have an impact in the already strained diplomatic situation over this issue.

The mention of specific Airbus models (esp. the A350 & A380) is interesting and the rightousness regarding Boeing and how Airbus is steeling the business that 'belongs' to Boeing. Now, while I myself have an affinity for Boeing, they don't own any business, they have to earn it. Welcome to Capitalism.

Now, in my personal opinion, Airbus shouldn't be getting these subsidies. However, Boeing recieves implicit subsidies of its own, by way of military contracts. So, I think both sides have an argument, and it's not going to be resolved any time soon. All Congress has done is add fuel to an already blazing fire.

RE: Congress Gets Into The Fight Over Subsidies

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:55 pm

I say give Boeing a few billion, and see what they come up with. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to create a new plane than that sham war bush started.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

RE: Congress Gets Into The Fight Over Subsidies

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:57 pm

What else is new. This is the same Congress that refuses to repeal the Byrd Amendment, even though it was ruled illegal by the WTO more than two years ago, and even though every major US trading partner is now applying retaliatory tariffs on US imports.

Congress thinks rules are for everyone else to follow -- not the US. The hypocrisy is staggering, and in the long run it will do serious economic damage to the U.S., and everyone else.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.