wukka

CFI / Student C-152 Crash Near CVG

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:31 pm

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...20050411/NEWS01/504120310/-1/CINCI

I know that these types of incidents happen all the time around the world, but I wanted to take a moment to mention this one since it's so close to home for me.

The instructor killed in this incident was my best friend's mentor and instructor, and the student an attendee of my alma-mater. Even more chilling is that we were having lunch today at LUK when it happened, where my buddy and the CFI killed in the crash had parked a 172 for lunch 50 ft. outside the same door less than 24 hours before.

We're looking forward to the NTSB findings; at least Mike died doing what he enjoyed. He was a very young guy with so much ahead of him.  Sad

Please fly safe, everyone.
We can agree to disagree.

Revelation

RE: CFI / Student C-152 Crash Near CVG

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your memories of your friends, Mike. I too love flying small aircraft and have had a few close shaves in my time, so thanks for the reminder to fly safe, especially as many in the Northern Hemisphere take to the skies after a winter hiatus.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

azjubilee

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. When I first started flying I was told that in my flying career I will have friends and acquaintances killed in aviation more often that I cared to think about. While it didn't happen every day I could probably count on both hands people I knew that were killed in some form of aviation accident in the last 10 years. It's a sobering thought and when it happens again, it will remind me that life is delicate. It's something we have to get used to in aviation.

AZJ

craviation

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:47 pm

Hello..thanks for taking a moment to share this. I used to work near FLL and MIA as a CFI, and a couple of times I heard about air-to-air crashes involving CFIs and students...it's always sad to hear that. The only thing we can do is be safe and leanr from all the lessons we get.

Andre
-CostaRicaAviation-FotosAereasCR.com-

wukka

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:54 pm

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 2):
It's something we have to get used to in aviation.

Yeah, but it gives us too much enjoyment to give it up!  Smile It's a sad thing for myself, and even more so for my friend who was trying to call his cell phone while Mike was nose-down in a field waiting for the NTSB to arrive. That sentence may sound harsh, but at least he went out doing what he loved to do.

I know that these things happen... I just wanted to give him a little bit of memory in a forum that seems fitting.

Again, all... Please fly safely!
We can agree to disagree.

IanatSTN

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:48 am

I'm sorry to hear this Chris...

Quoting Wukka (Reply 4):
Yeah, but it gives us too much enjoyment to give it up!

I agree, and although I haven't technically started on my PPL yet, the other areas of aviation that I enjoy all easily outweigh the few dangers which can be associated with them. For 99.9% of us here, aviation is the primary passion in our lives, and we all understand and accept the negatives one can come across through it...

Cheers,
Ian.
Ian@STN ::