thomasphoto60

National Airlines (the Original), What If......

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:37 am

...they were still around? What would they be flying and where? Would they be a part of an alliance and how would other aspects of today's civil aviation market effect the now long gone 'Sun King' ? A friend (ex- Nat'l employee) and I were discussing this 'what if' a while back in regards to National and other carriers such as Pan Am, Braniff, Eastern, Western which are now relegated to the history books and our memories.

I would be interested in reading anyone's thoughts on this subject.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

2travel2know

RE: National Airlines (the Original), What If......

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:41 am

One thing for sure, If National was still alive they would still fly MIA > London (was it LGW or LHR, don't remember)
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

m404

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:57 am

I always figured EA and NA would link up and fill in the gaps. Maytag said soon after deregulation that it just wasn't fun anymore so am sure he would have been trying to pawn it off.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

RogerThat

Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:59 am

National flew to LHR. They were the last airline to get landing rights at LHR before Bermuda II. There was a very good thread about National's European service a few weeks/months ago.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Sheridan

Most of the ex-National employees I have met have fond memories of their old carrier.

lat41

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:10 am

They had at least one long strike during the 70's that really took the wind out of their sails. When they came back they were never the same in my opinion. This is in addition to all that happened with PA later on. What would they re-equipped with for aircraft? Where would they have expanded and what airline's genesis would have been prevented by NA still being around? Who knows?