soups

1st Picture Of Virgin Nigeria A320

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:51 pm

1st picture of virgin nigeria
http://skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=nav2&picid=1860
thanks to EurostarVA for the link

what you guys think of the colourscheme? i am not keen on the green on the engines

[Edited 2005-04-13 09:53:07]
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

NZ1
Crew

RE: 1st Picture Of Virgin Nigeria A320

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:55 pm

I think it looks ok. Are the titles in green too? Its a little hard to make it out on the photo.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

UpperDeck79

Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:57 pm

That's a nice combination of Virgin red and Nigerian green!  Smile
AY and ANA rock!

EurostarVA

Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:10 pm

I think it looks great! But the green tone could have been darker, grayer, to flow more smoothly with the red.

This is the first A320 LZ-BHD which is on wet-lease from Balkan Holiday Airlines (BH Air), a second one will follow shortly from the same source. For further fleet requirements, Virgin Nigeria is negotiating with Airbus and Boeing for medium/long term requirements and an order may be expected soon.

The media has reported today that Virgin Nigeria would commence commercial flights on April 18th, 2005 with flights to Port Harcourt from its Lagos hub. I don't know if this would be possible as the airline will need to get a confirmation of its provisional IATA code . This can be confirmed by IATA following the release of an Airline Operating Certificate by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) if the proving flight goes well in Lagos. Flight schedules will also need to be uploaded to the CRS, etc.

The airline has recently announced more vacancies, including Captains and First Officers, and these can be found at:

http://www.phillipsconsulting.net/pdf/Virgin110405.pdf

http://www.resourcing.ng.kpmg.com/virgin.asp
If there is a will, there is a way

miamix707

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:59 am

That thing looks rather ugly; the red on the tail looks out of place with the green, but oh well I guess Virgin wasn't gonna do away with the trademark tail..

So this is the "Nigerian" airline we might be seeing at major aiports eventually.. yawn.

FA4B6

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:05 am

what kind of engines are those? they look bigger then the IAE V2500's that B6 uses
"Leap! And the net will appear."

Horus

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:56 am

Will Virgin Nigeria become the flag carrier for Nigeria? Which (if any) Nigerian airlines will they compete with?

Thanks for the info SoAps

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

egnr

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:06 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 5):
what kind of engines are those? they look bigger then the IAE V2500's that B6 uses

They are cfm-56 engines.
7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

A340600

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:17 am

It looks okay, I just hope VS don't go with that refont on the tail on the rest of their airlines!

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

EurostarVA

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:22 am

Horus,

The Nigerian government has officially designated Virgin Nigeria flag carrier status. In fact, they granted the new carrier exclusive route rights on some international lucrative routes for seven years. This means, no other Nigerian carrier will be allowed to operate alongside Virgin Nigeria on the lucrative routes. This was a measure to attract a foreign strategic investor more easily. The routes on which they will enjoy a Nigerian monopoly are:

- Lagos - London
- Lagos - Johannesburg
- Lagos - Jeddah
- Lagos - Dubai
- Lagos - New York

Domestically, there are roughly a dozen or so established and privately-owned carriers which will have a tough time competing with Virgin Nigeria. They have been operating in a harsh environment, with little access to capital (funding), technology, etc. Some of these airlines are:

- Bellview Airlines (737, 767), flies international routes as well
- Aero (737-300), flies international routes as well: www.acn.aero
- ADC Airlines (737), flies international routes as well www.adcairlines.com
- Sosoliso Airlines (MD80, DC-9) www.sosolisoairline.com
- IRS Airlines (Fokker 100)
- Chanchangi (727, 737) www.chanchangi-airlines.com
- Dasab Airlines (727)
- SpaceWorld (737-200)
- EAS Airlines (737-200)
- Albaraka (727)

Most of the airlines listed above are not IATA members and don't publish their flight schedules with OAG or Amadeus.

Some pics of the airlines above in order:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Captain Akinwale Makinde

View Large View Medium

Photo © Captain Akinwale Makinde

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Central Image Agency

View Large View Medium

Photo © A J Best

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Lofting

View Large View Medium

Photo © Morris Biondi

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ian Bowley

[Edited 2005-04-13 20:52:03]

erikwilliam

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:03 am

how much does Mr. Branson have in shares of this company??Will it be part of the Virgin Family or just the name was given?
HOw much does the Nigerian government controls the company???

when will it start flying?
how about Virgin America, when will they fly?
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

EurostarVA

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:21 am

Virgin Nigeria is a private-sector investment initiative promoted by the Nigerian government. Virgin Atlantic was selected last year as strategic investor in this new Nigerian flag carrier, after competing with a bid from South African Airways.

Virgin Atlantic Airways holds a 49% stake while the rest was distributed in a private placement to various Nigerian institutional investors including banks, insurance and other companies. Shortly after launch, institutional investors will be required to sell half their shares to the public via an Initial Public Offering (IPO) on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

The airline is now hiring a second wave of recruits and its first commercial flight may take off next week according to media reports published today. They will start with domestic/regional flights (with routes to Abuja, Accra, Port Harcourt) and grow with time to cover long haul routes to Europe, US and the Middle East (Dubai, Johannesburg, London, New York, etc)

More information is available at the airline's preliminary website which is now more of a facts sheet: www.virginnigeria.com

[Edited 2005-04-13 21:27:43]

jaysit

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:43 am

By the looks of it, Nigeria is where Boeing 737-200s go to get a second lease on life.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

WAH64D

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 3):
This can be confirmed by IATA following the release of an Airline Operating Certificate by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) if the proving flight goes well in Lagos. Flight schedules will also need to be uploaded to the CRS, etc.

Can't Virgin Nigeria fly under Virgin Atlantic's AOC? I remember Air Scotland operated under the AOC of Air Holland.
I AM the No-spotalotacus.

AeroVodochody

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:54 am

It would look better if they made the whole tail green... But it still looks very good  Smile
Try not to be jealous, we can't all be Czech.

kl911

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:01 am

I wish we would get a Virgin France soon............ There is so much room for other carriers here and there are only 2 main operators, AF and EZY.... and trains here are always packed, cramped and way to hot..

Just wishing....

KL911

Braybuddy

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:12 am

NO, NO, NO. It just looks like a Virgin aircraft leased out

777ER
Crew

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:48 am

Well Virgin Nigeria is really happening. The fuselage needs a bit more colour
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

NWADC9

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:39 pm

What ever happened to that silver bird on the front of the fuselage? It was on the A320 on the homepage of Virgin Nigeria, but in the photo, it's not there.
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

EurostarVA

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:26 pm

Quoting WAH64D (Reply 13):
Can't Virgin Nigeria fly under Virgin Atlantic's AOC? I remember Air Scotland operated under the AOC of Air Holland.

I doubt that very much as I don't think NCAA regulations would allow a Nigerian carrier flying on a foreign airline's AOC.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 18):
What ever happened to that silver bird on the front of the fuselage? It was on the A320 on the homepage of Virgin Nigeria, but in the photo, it's not there.

Yes, I would have liked to see this eagle on the fuselage as well as it adds more Nigerian character to the livery (which by the way SHOULD reflect the Virgin identity as the airline in using the Virgin brand afterall)

timetables

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:31 pm

Nice colors! The green had to be there for it to make sense. Of course it still has the noticeable Virgin tail.
NO URLS in signature

EurostarVA

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:41 pm

This isnt exactly the best photo shoot as the skies are overcast and the conditions arent no nice for marketing purposes !  raincloud 

northwest 777

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:22 pm

So obviously their using 320's for their initial routes which are all in western africa, but are they going to be using the 320s on all other African routes as well? What about planned services to Europe, Middle East, and the US? All but the latter could *theoretically* use 320s but obviously the US is going to be different? Has the future fleet been announced?thanks

EZEIZA

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:36 pm

[quote=EurostarVA,reply=9]ADC Airlines (737), flies international routes as well [/quote
Sorry to get slightly off, but regarding ADC, on their website they apparently only fly Internationally to LBV. Last Year I spoke with Captain Omame, CEO of ADC airlines and he told me that they were expecting to be able to fly LOS-ACC "pretty soon". This was last April, so would you know if there have been any developments regarding this?
Thanx

regarding the Virgin Nigeria pic, I honestly think it looks awful. That green with the red just don't combine properly ... maybe leaving the tail white with "virgin" in green?

best regards
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

mrniji

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Can someone explain me why Nigeria has failed to establish an efficient flag carrier of its own? Sad, the resources seem theoretically tb available. I am just astonished that they need a partner like Virgin for their operations, keeping in mind that their national flag carrier is kind of foreign owned (and profits going to Branson).. I hope this is not a global trend
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

soups

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:53 pm

green and red... christmas season......
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

EurostarVA

Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:32 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 23):
Sorry to get slightly off, but regarding ADC, on their website they apparently only fly Internationally to LBV. Last Year I spoke with Captain Omame, CEO of ADC airlines and he told me that they were expecting to be able to fly LOS-ACC "pretty soon". This was last April, so would you know if there have been any developments regarding this?

I don't think ADC would be allowed to fly to Accra as the number of Nigerian carriers on the route is stretched (Aerocontractor flies 1 or 2 daily flights, Bellview flies daily at least and now Virgin Nigeria is recruiting ground staff in Accra for flight to Ghana). Besides, NCAA granted Accra route rights to one or two privately owned carriers, not more and ADC Airline was not included I believe. ADC was granted Brussels, Libreville, Abidjan, Dakar, Bamako (if my memory doesnt fail me).

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 24):
Can someone explain me why Nigeria has failed to establish an efficient flag carrier of its own? Sad, the resources seem theoretically tb available. I am just astonished that they need a partner like Virgin for their operations, keeping in mind that their national flag carrier is kind of foreign owned (and profits going to Branson).. I hope this is not a global trend

Corruption, greed, mismanagement and theft. If you ask me, Virgin's entry into Nigeria's airline industry is a positive development, it brings in desperately needed know-how, techology, global standards, and the public will benefit from a transformed airline industry in Nigeria. It's a private sector initiative which will provide much needed jobs and no, not all the profits will be repatriated to the UK as the airline is 51% owned by Nigerian interests.

PRM

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:27 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 26):
(Aerocontractor flies 1 or 2 daily flights, Bellview flies daily at least and now Virgin Nigeria

Aerocontractors are flying 3x per week with a Dash 8, Bellview is 1-2x daily with B732

Paul

FFlyer

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:13 am

I have an uncle, whom I didn't know I had, in Nigeria. He has now passed away, and I'm inheriting $50 million from him! I only need to travel there, and give a nominal amount of $1 million as a guarantee. I'm rich!!!!! How lucky and happy I am! This is like a dream! Nobody will believe this!

Do you think it would be good idea to invest a part of the money in any of those airlines? And which one should I use when traveling over there?

This is a true story. I've got the letter! Big grin

LifelinerOne

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:28 am

Quoting KL911 (Reply 15):
wish we would get a Virgin France soon............ There is so much room for other carriers here and there are only 2 main operators, AF and EZY.... and trains here are always packed, cramped and way to hot..

Just wishing....

Be patient my friend... Transavia is in final talks with Air France in order to start a LCC operation in France.

Cheers!
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

EurostarVA

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:02 am

FFlyer,

Sounds like a 419 scam.... I mean give $ 1 million as 'guarantee'?? What's that supposed to mean? If you're serious please send me a private e-mail.

FFlyer

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:25 am

Eurostar; thanks! I was just joking. I have received so many of those letters, that I couldn't resist when I saw "Nigeria" in the heading.

sjg

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:30 am

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 28):
I'm inheriting $50 million from him! I only need to travel there, and give a nominal amount of $1 million as a guarantee

Dude!

That's pretty lucky, but I've got one up on you. In the last week THREE uncles I didn't know I had died. Each has left $50million for me! Now I can do a Travolta...

European

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:09 am

Hi Guy's!

Here is the picture on Planepictures.net

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=323684&count=false

Look great, just maybe different titles.

cya

Jimmi
Come on Ryanair! Come on BOH! BASE BASE BASE! Flying high in the skies...........

yyz717

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 24):
Can someone explain me why Nigeria has failed to establish an efficient flag carrier of its own?

Basically, due to mind-numbing unbridled corruption. With its oil wealth, Nigeria should have a flourishing international carrier.

Is it only me, or do others also think that this Virgin Nigeria venture could sink into the same insipid pit of kickbacks, corruption, bankruptcy and incompetent management, not to mention horrible customer service?
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos