ACDC8
Topic Author

Passport Question

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:28 am

I was just wondering. When you go through the Passport Control at airports and they scan or swipe your passport through the computer. What is it they're looking for?

Is it just to see if your name or passport is on a "no-fly" list or a criminal record check? Or does it also log your date of entry/exit into the country?

Thank's in advance for any replies.

cheers,
Patrick
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

MGASJO

RE: Passport Question

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:40 am

Whenever you swipe a passport it gives you several information: Type of passport (official, ordinary...) Passport number, Issuing country, date of birth, gender, Names...

That information can be linked to a database with your entry/exit status, also with lists of people that cannot enter o exit certain countries. It just depends of how the country decides to manage it.
C208B

satx

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:45 am

New passports in coming years are expected to contain biometric information similar to what is already scanned when entering the US as a foreign national. Fingerprints, retinal scans, that sort of thing. Maybe DNA records eventually.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

ltbewr

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:58 am

I would also add that the electronic readable numbers on an American Passport can also bring up on a computer screen at USA Immigration (or whatever called now) checkpoints, your digital picture and personal info for that number to compare to the passport you are carrying, last time Passport scanned to see when left/entered the USA.

CORULEZ05

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Well first and for most, they are looking for your citizenship and if you can be allowed into the country based on citizenship only. Your passport could also alert them if they sense any irregularities with something you said and so on. Secondly, people on the no fly list would also come up based on the information from their passport. I do not think they log the date you entered and all that because they can not update your passport info right then and there.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

wukka

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:40 pm

As an aside, there's a pretty big debate going on in the US regarding the use of RFID and information contained therein in new US passports, As SATX and LTBWER were alluding to.

It's gotten quite a bit of press recently. Here are a couple of links that may be of interest:

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,65412,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

...I might add that the ACLU is getting involved in this as well

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=17082&c=39

I hope that those two links may provide at least a bit of an interesting onceover.  Smile
We can agree to disagree.

legacyins

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:52 pm

As one who is in the business, it is not public information to know what is on the screens when the passport is queried. You can all guess, but is it just a guess.

ACDC8
Topic Author

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:17 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason why I'm asking is because when they scan/swipe it, they stamp it and give it back to you fairly quickly. So I was just wondering how big of a database the computer has to go through to check for all the information, since it goes so quick.

Thanks again!

cheers,
Patrick
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

soups

Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:16 pm

i always get stopped at immigration and asked: a white guy from ghana?? i always reply there is a first for everything... ( i usually find that racist)
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

L410Turbolet

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:07 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 2):
New passports in coming years are expected to contain biometric information similar to what is already scanned when entering the US as a foreign national. Fingerprints, retinal scans, that sort of thing. Maybe DNA records eventually.

And next? Implant everybody a GPS-tracking chip so Big Brother knows absolutely everthing about you???

Quoting Legacyins (Reply 6):
As one who is in the business, it is not public information to know what is on the screens when the passport is queried.

Could it be... a Solitaire??  worried 

TGV

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Wukka, thanks for the links !

Very interesting, (and frightening !) indeed.

The fact that the passport can be read without entering in contact with a reader, it's to say without the passport holder knows it, enables a lot of bad things.

Because, whatever what we think, the technology to have this "distant" reading will, sooner or later, fall in bad hands, and you could be scanned without your knowledge in any place around the world.

I hope the EU select a technology requiring a physical contact with the reader, but if it is not the case I will remember the aluminium foil thing !
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans. (AF/KL for example)

AMSSpotter

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:25 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 9):
And next? Implant everybody a GPS-tracking chip so Big Brother knows absolutely everthing about you???

I agree there definitely is a "scary" side to all of this.
On the other hand: if every citizen were to be required to surrender a DNA-sample plus fingerprints at an early age, a gigantic database would be created that could be very useful in order to sove all kinds of crimes (murder, rape, etc., etc.). In the current situation the problem often is that although people leave fingerprints, traces of semen and/or DNA at the scene of the crime, these pieces of evidence lead to nothing simply because the current databases contain limited amounts of data (only the data of people who have already committed a crime).

Kind of off-topic but still related to the subject of this thread  Wink