coewr777

Most Profitable Hubs?

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:57 am

I think Co at ewr is up there.

cltguy

RE: Most Profitable Hubs?

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:04 am

For USAirways it has been noted in a number of paper's that Charlotte (CLT) is their most profitible hub.

BAxMAN

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:06 am

Quoting Cltguy (Reply 1):
For USAirways it has been noted in a number of paper's that Charlotte (CLT) is their most profitible hub.

Is that hub that loses least amount of money?

I think the most profitable hubs are, without doubt SIN and DXB for their respective home carriers.
I need to get laid

airfrnt

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:08 am

According to United's paperwork in the Bankrupcy court, Denver(DEN) is it's most profitable hub.

2travel2know

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:09 am

It doesn't have the size of those big hubs in the States, but CM's PTY may be quite profitable, even if they do lack many services to the non-spanish speaking Caribbean, some regional destinations and a number of North- and Southamerican destinations.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

miaskies

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:16 am

MIA for AA & AE
SJU has to be quite profitable for AA, specially w/ the huge AE network to the Caribbean.

SFO for UA

ATL for DL

ORD for AA & UA
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

RDUDDJI

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:22 am

I would wager to say that DL's ATL hub makes more money than any other U.S. hub...only because DL has more flights at ATL than any other airline has at its hub in the world. Someone once told me they have like 850+ mainline flights a day there...that's sick...then add in all the DLC flights.

I haven't heard that...but I do know that CLT is USAir's lowest cost hub, so this isn't surprising. I would've guessed PHL before WN came along!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

kc135topboom

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:12 pm

AA's most profitable hub is DFW, thanks to the protection of the Wright (wrong) Amendment.

DL's most profitable hud is ALT

CO's most profitable is IAH

UA's most profitable hud is DIA

US's least losses are at CLT and PIT.

WN's most profitable hub is DAL

RogerThat

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:41 pm

My moneys on BA in LHR.

masseybrown

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:02 pm

If we're only counting US domestic, I doubt there is a profitable hub in the whole country, except for Southwest's non-hub hubs and Airtran's ATL.

Internationally, CDG has to be somewhere near the top, given AF's profit numbers.

LRGT

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:10 pm

CO AT EWR....CASE CLOSED!

They literally run a high-fare racket and have established a premium to fly from EWR over other area airports.
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:24 pm

I'm not surprised. Seen any estimates on the impact of FL entering this market? (With US's 90% market share, the only path is going to be down...)

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 3):
According to United's paperwork in the Bankrupcy court, Denver(DEN) is it's most profitable hub.

I'm surprised, I would have thought ORD... Obviously Indy is doing a number to IAD. Do you have a link?

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 6):
I would've guessed PHL before WN came along!

rotfl  I believe this is true. Anyone have a link to back this up?

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):
AA's most profitable hub is DFW, thanks to the protection of the Wright (wrong) Amendment.

Its also a damn well run operation. My opinions of the wrong admendment aside, AA runs quite a ship at DFW.

WN's most profitable hub is DAL

Do you have a link? Not to question (too much), but I would have guessed LAS. Generally, you don't CUT service from your most profitable hub (unless forced to, e.g., govt taking slots). Sorry, but with the cuts and reduced service/staff at DAL, I'm really doubting this one... But I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Quoting RogerThat (Reply 8):
My moneys on BA in LHR.

Ditto.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

HPforLife

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:46 pm

PHX for America West

United Airline

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:28 pm

What about CX in HKG and SQ in SIN?

WDBRR

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 pm

I would say DL's ATL hub, whenever a gate becomes available
they grab it, they have gates in EVERY concourse.
Their operation is scattered all through the airport.

flymia

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:25 am

MIA is a great one of AA. They built it up so much in so little time.

[Edited 2005-04-14 18:25:22]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

LH423

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:13 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 11):
I'm surprised, I would have thought ORD

Don't forget that connections dilute yield. And despite ORD being their largest hub they face competition from AA as well as just about every other airline in the country and many in Europe and Asia as well. Plus the LCCs down the road at MDW. ORD is their largest hub but also probably the one with the most connections which, again, dilute yield. I think you'll find that with most airlines the hubs that have a healthy amount of connecting traffic but also a strong and loyal O&D market along with a relative lack in LCC competition will be the most profitable hubs for the airlines.

As a result my guesses are:

AA-DFW. Wright amendment keeps WN out and there's very little in the way of LCC competition, DL have just dropped their hub, and there is a HUGE population base along with great connections)

DL-ATL. C'mon. It's the ultimate in global hubs. Yes, FL has their main base of ops but they can't hold a candle to DL in terms of operations. Not much in the way of foreign competition that isn't somehow linked to DL. The only ones I can think of are LH and BA. Almost every other interational airline at ATL have links to DL. A wealthy and large population base give ATL quite of bit of O&D)

UA- As dicussed...DEN. Another wealthy, large city, great network, only BA for foreign competition. F9 provides healthy competition, but their route network is nowhere near as extensive.

CO-EWR. One reason, and one reason only...New York!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

SESGDL

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 16):
Don't forget that connections dilute yield. And despite ORD being their largest hub they face competition from AA as well as just about every other airline in the country and many in Europe and Asia as well. Plus the LCCs down the road at MDW. ORD is their largest hub but also probably the one with the most connections which, again, dilute yield. I think you'll find that with most airlines the hubs that have a healthy amount of connecting traffic but also a strong and loyal O&D market along with a relative lack in LCC competition will be the most profitable hubs for the airlines.

DEN is UA's biggest connecting hub as DEN has no way near the amount of O&D that ORD does. Also, UA's presence at ORD has steadily declined from some 430 mainline flights in 1999 to the less than 300 that they currently have.

In terms of overall revenue:

1. DL @ ATL - By far the highest revenue US hub. With nearly 1,100 daily movements between DL and DL Connection to nearly 200 destinations, with over 150 widebody flights, this is the ULTIMATE airline hub. With the large O&D and hundreds of connecting opportunities, DL could serve nearly every sizeable US city from ATL.

2. CO @ EWR - I saw this statistic not too long ago. CO's EWR hub has a higher revenue than AA at DFW, which was reported in 2003, this may have changed since AA's large DFW buildup. NYC has the highest O&D of any US city, and with CO being the only carrier with a hub it makes for a pretty big premium.

3. AA @ DFW - This is probably the only other SUPERHUB in the world besides DL @ ATL. Though AA's DFW hub isn't as large as DL's, it's grown to be massive with huge numbers of connecting passengers and O&D.

Now most profitable hub is harder to predict, now airline hubs are currently profitable.

Jeremy

ord

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:13 am

I'd be curious to see the data that DEN is United's most profitable hub. At an aviation conference last October several aviation analysts said DEN was one of United's weakest hubs and that it was expected to see mainline cuts. Sure enough, a few months later it saw the bulk of the domestic reductions.

ORDagent

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:29 am

UA's most profitable hud is DIA

Just a whinny nit pic here. DIA is not the IATA code for DEN. It is DEN since Stapleton was closed the code moved over to the new airport.

Avianca

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:15 am

FRA and MUC are very profitable for LH.

And in the top 5 without a doubt MAD for IB.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia