ripcordd

Dead Guy Found On Plane

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:44 pm

A dead guy was found on AA FLT#154 NRT-ORD in the bathroom. Report says that a 62yoa person was found dead in the bathroom my cabin cleaners. Report says that flight arrived at Int Term 5 and brought over to Terminal 3 for a outbound flight when cabin cleaners found the body....

Newark777

RE: Dead Guy Found On Plane

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Kind of scary that the FA's didn't know there was someone in the bathroom when the plane landed. Poor guy.  Sad

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

CORULEZ05

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Wow, how sad. That has got to be a terrible thing to go through especially for the person who died and also for the person who discovered the body.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 1):
Kind of scary that the FA's didn't know there was someone in the bathroom when the plane landed

Agree. Flight attendants should have control over the cabin and be fully aware of what is going on. This just coms to show that they did not in this case and it is very frightening. A flight attendant should of observed him going into the lav and not coming out. It could of saved the poor man's life. Of course that is just "what if" but it is a possibility.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

Airlinerfreak

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:00 pm

I find this quite odd would you mind posting a link, it is not that I find you untruthful, it is just different. It sounds ridiculous but may this man R.I.P.

FLY2LIM

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:06 pm

I too question the source, but I am not writing about that. I travel AA often, as I have reported before. I often notice that the plane is on final approach and someone always has to use the lavatory. The light of "occupied" goes on and everyone knows there is someone in the toilet but the crew are making preparations for landing and they don't necessarily have time to check on someone who won't listen anyway, in the case of many passengers. I think crew can't be held responsible.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

doug_or

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:08 pm

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 2):
Agree. Flight attendants should have control over the cabin and be fully aware of what is going on. This just coms to show that they did not in this case and it is very frightening. A flight attendant should of observed him going into the lav and not coming out. It could of saved the poor man's life

are you joking?
When in doubt, one B pump off

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:08 pm

It is impossible to keep track of 300 peoples bathroom breaks, but you sure would think with a combination of other passengers and the f/a's they would see that someone aint comin out. For sure should have been found during pre landing check.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

wukka

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:11 pm

That has got to be a terrible thing to go through especially for the person who died and also for the person who discovered the body.

I highly doubt that the 62 y/o person that passed on really didn't mind the shuttle roll over to the domestic terminal. I would find the sympathies better placed with the family and friends of the deceased.

(if I happen to die mid-flight, please feel free to jettison me over a body of water so as not to cause trauma to the living folks remaining by throwing a blanket over my head; this body is just on loan, and when I check out, you can do whatever you want with it.)
We can agree to disagree.

jetdeltamsy

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:15 pm

A flight attendant should of observed him going into the lav and not coming out.

Are you kidding me?

Do you honestly think that we're going to track peoples visits to the lav?

If the door was unlocked, there was no way that the crew could have been alerted that the lav was occupied.

What an absurd idea.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

JBLUA320

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:16 pm

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 4):
I too question the source, but I am not writing about that. I travel AA often, as I have reported before. I often notice that the plane is on final approach and someone always has to use the lavatory. The light of "occupied" goes on and everyone knows there is someone in the toilet but the crew are making preparations for landing and they don't necessarily have time to check on someone who won't listen anyway, in the case of many passengers. I think crew can't be held responsible.
FLY2LIM

I dont know if AA does this, but on Continental, the flight attendants lock the bathrooms for takeoff and landing. I thought this would be a fairly universal policy, in which case the FAs would have noticed. Does AA not do this?

JBLU

burnsie28

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:18 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 8):
A flight attendant should of observed him going into the lav and not coming out.

Are you kidding me?

If the door was unlocked, there was no way that the crew could have been alerted that the lav was occupied.

What an absurd idea.

No but how about the RED OCCUPIED light above in the middle of the cabin or that of the one on the door. Maybe that would give a clue, especially when you see a red-light on the ceiling.

hawk44

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:43 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 8):
Are you kidding me?

Yes, It's a security issue. If someone is spending a little too much time in the lav it needs to be investigated by someone. Let's not forget what happened in Russia.

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

David T

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:52 pm

Let's hand this one over to Gil Grissom of the LVPD Crime Lab!  tombstone 

(Ok, not funny by some. But ya know, I've been an airline guy since I was 8! That's the way I would want to go!!! In an airplane lav! I made the heavenly club boys!)

gothamspotter

Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Every airline employee needs to be aware of everything going on, but especially AA crews. AA is obviously at the top of the bad guys' list of targets, as demonstrated by 2 planes lost on 9/11 and by the more directly relevant Richard Reid incident. The crewmembers responsible for this oversight should get a severe talking to from the TSA/FAA/FBI/etc, as well as AA management and the union.

qqflyboy

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:11 pm

Folks, you're assuming the man was in the bathroom for a long time. He could've gone to the loo during deplaning, or he could've gone to the bathroom shortly before landing. Yes, flight attendants are supposed to check the lavs prior to landing, but it's easy to forget, especially if you're trying to get to your seat quickly 'cause the ride is gettin' bumpy. We simply have no idea how long the man was in the lav.

Burnsie, if there are multiple lavs in one location, the red "occupied" light on the ceiling won't light up unless all the lavs in that area are occupied.

It is not AA's policy to lock lavs for takeoff and landing.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

n844aa

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:16 pm

Quoting GothamSpotter (Reply 13):
Every airline employee needs to be aware of everything going on, but especially AA crews. AA is obviously at the top of the bad guys' list of targets, as demonstrated by 2 planes lost on 9/11 and by the more directly relevant Richard Reid incident. The crewmembers responsible for this oversight should get a severe talking to from the TSA/FAA/FBI/etc, as well as AA management and the union.

I'm going to reserve judgment on this particular incident, since it is currently unconfirmed and the details are currently unknown. But following your assertion to its logical conclusion would require a sky marshal accompanying each and every visit to the lav. If someone's intent on doing evil aboard an airliner, such as what Richard Reid tried to perpetrate, he can probably accomplish it in 30 seconds as well as he could in half an hour. No need to scapegoat or pile on the cabin crew here. Their job is tough enough as it is, and if there's something here they need to be faulted for, I'm sure they'll be disciplined appropriately.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

ripcordd

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:32 pm

here is the link...... The really scary thing is that it was an international flight and this guy dead or not was able to get around customs. At Ohare all international flights arrive terminal 5 and airlines like AA/UA taxi their planes over to their terminals 1/3 for outbound flights. There is only customs at terminal 5. Sounds like a security breach to me they should check the plane before the FA'S leave which would mean the bathrooms esp on international's.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4378029/det...ml?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65172

jacobin777

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:39 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 7):
and when I check out, you can do whatever you want with it.)

I've heard that one from a few gross anatomy lab partners of mine, and I can guarantee you their minds changed by the end of the semester.... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

Dimsum

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:45 pm

The thing is, you would think that FAs would do a final cabin check INCLUDING knocking on all lav doors prior to landing, right?

n844aa

Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:58 pm

Quoting Dimsum (Reply 18):
The thing is, you would think that FAs would do a final cabin check INCLUDING knocking on all lav doors prior to landing, right?

Even if they did, knocking on the door may not have made much of an impression on this poor bastard  Wink
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

andz

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:11 pm

When I flew Emirates a couple of years ago the flight attendants went round and locked all the toilet doors before take off and landing, and if anyone was inside at this time they knocked on the door and waited there until the passenger came out.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

wukka

Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:29 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 17):
I've heard that one from a few gross anatomy lab partners of mine, and I can guarantee you their minds changed by the end of the semester.... Wink

Bah! If you checked out my profile at all, I've done my fair share of educational research on deceased individuals. The first time I lifted the lid on my "lab partner", I thought my knees were going to collapse. After all of that, my mind hasn't changed a bit, since this flesh-and-bone only lasts for so long. Will I do my best to save a life? Yes. Will I cry for the death of my friends or family? Yes. Do I care what you do with me once I have shuffled off my mortal coil? Not a bit. I only ask that you respect my friends and family, and their wishes. I've already made it clear to them that if I can help someone learn through the use of my remaining tissue, then go for it.

I have to give you the thumbs up for having done the Gross Human Anatomy courses, though. Been there, freaked me out initially, but in the long run, it helps everyone else.  Smile

n844aa

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:02 pm

Quoting Wukka (Reply 21):
Bah! If you checked out my profile at all, I've done my fair share of educational research on deceased individuals. The first time I lifted the lid on my "lab partner", I thought my knees were going to collapse. After all of that, my mind hasn't changed a bit, since this flesh-and-bone only lasts for so long. Will I do my best to save a life? Yes. Will I cry for the death of my friends or family? Yes. Do I care what you do with me once I have shuffled off my mortal coil? Not a bit. I only ask that you respect my friends and family, and their wishes. I've already made it clear to them that if I can help someone learn through the use of my remaining tissue, then go for it.

Listen, totally off-topic here, but well said, man. Well said.

ACDC8

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:50 pm

Quoting GothamSpotter (Reply 13):

The thread is about a dead man found in the lav of an airplane and it only takes 13 posts until someone mentions 9/11. Unbelievable.
 banghead 
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

wukka

Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 23):
The thread is about a dead man found in the lav of an airplane and it only takes 13 posts until someone mentions 9/11. Unbelievable.

I tip my hat to you. It seems like our freedoms are being taken away on a daily basis with the underlying excuse of 9/11.

These supposed terrorists have won in the most passive roundabout way possible.

*shakes head and sobs over what we once were*

This is sad.

N77014

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:08 pm

According to my flight ops. manual, NO ONE is dead until a doctor declares him so. Crews are instructed to hold off until arrival.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

B707Stu

Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:52 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 25):
According to my flight ops. manual, NO ONE is dead until a doctor declares him so. Crews are instructed to hold off until arrival.

That's correct because no one wants their aircraft impounded as part of an investigation.

TGV

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:38 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 20):
When I flew Emirates a couple of years ago the flight attendants went round and locked all the toilet doors before take off and landing, and if anyone was inside at this time they knocked on the door and waited there until the passenger came out.

Same on all AF flights I took. This seems to be a normal preparation of the cabin before landing (they do that at the same time they attach the curtains used to separate the cabin between the various classes, and open the moving panels in the divider walls, when they exist).

Seems landing preparation of the cabin on AA has different procedures, or that the procedures where not correctly applied.
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans

isitsafenow

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:37 pm

Maybe he was looking for a pillow all over that plane and then had a heart attack...
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

manu

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 28):
Maybe he was looking for a pillow all over that plane and then had a heart attack...

Good dig.

fbm3rd

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:00 pm

maybe if was the food...or the small AA seats.

snn2003

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:14 pm

Never been on a plane where someone went to the lav right before landing. I side with the FA's on this one. If you have a full 777 (Im guessing that what this plane was) You cant keep track of everyone all the time. Galley's need to be closed up. Cabin needs to be clean. Too much to do with too little time. I don't like AA but I don't think this was their fault.
Gage
One way, IAH-RTB please! No return ticket required.

September11

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:38 pm

I wonder if this is the first time that a passenger was found dead in lavatory?
Airliners.net of the Future

ltbewr

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:57 pm

What a sad way to go, inside an aircraft bathroom. Probably an autopcy will show the person had a massive heart attack or stroke. In the early stages of a heart attack, one can have an upset stomach and in such a situtation, one may feel they have to go to the bathroom. I hope the people whom discovered this guy get some consuling.
I would presume there will be an internal/AA investigation of this incident. Perhaps a 'head count' should be done by the f/a's shortly before landing and after the lavs are closed to make sure everybody is accounted for. F/A's have to walk thorugh the a/c to make sure everybody is belted down for landing anyway so a count wouldn't take only 1-2 minutes additional time and at least for safety to make sure someone isn't in the lav.

flybyguy

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:23 am

Agree. Flight attendants should have control over the cabin and be fully aware of what is going on. This just coms to show that they did not in this case and it is very frightening. A flight attendant should of observed him going into the lav and not coming out. It could of saved the poor man's life.

Agreed. Instead of issuing arrest threat ultimatums to passengers who complain about receiving unsatisfactory service, FA's (especially on AA after the Richard Reid fiasco) should be doing their jobs to ensure that the aircraft interiors are secure during the entire flight rather than coming out with a meal cart every 5 hours and gossiping in the back of the plane the rest of the time. That flight crew put the rest of the legitimate aircrews around the world to shame.

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 4):
The light of "occupied" goes on and everyone knows there is someone in the toilet but the crew are making preparations for landing and they don't necessarily have time to check on someone who won't listen anyway

What preparations? You make it sound as if flight attendants have to go up to each person and fasten their seatbelt for them. I have been on flights where flight attendants barely glance at passengers laps as they race to the rear. Securing galley carts on a 777 isn't a big job either, there's only about two dozen of them for a cabin crew of about 12 (about 2 carts a person). The fact of the matter is that if the flight attendants on that flight actually cared they would have found this man to be in distress much sooner. However, when you run an airline where flight attendants are ready to jump off the airplane when it touches down, these sorts of things will always happen. The man died like an animal on an airline that treats people like imbeciles and animals. It's just a damn shame.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

jacobin777

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 am

Quoting Wukka (Reply 21):
Not a bit. I only ask that you respect my friends and family, and their wishes. I've already made it clear to them that if I can help someone learn through the use of my remaining tissue, then go for it.

I have to give you the thumbs up for having done the Gross Human Anatomy courses, though. Been there, freaked me out initially, but in the long run, it helps everyone else.

good call..should have read your prfile..I was going with the odds..... Wink

the only thing which I really didnt like was the fact I "smelled bad" for 9 months (i forgot what our cadavers were fixed in)....of course, after a week, it didn't bother me too much, but i'm sure others in the outside world probably thought something else....
"Up the Irons!"

nwaca

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:39 am

I would think the FA's would have checked the lavs both before and after landing. Before, for safety and after because they shouldn't be walking off the plane with their bags on a terminating flight without being sure that everyone is off (and not in the washroom dead or alive), and also because it was an international flight. What an awful experience for all that were involved.

satx

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:44 am

Even though this is AA we're talking about, I still find it really odd that none of the passengers complained about somebody hogging the lav. This guy must have gone in toward the very end. I remember using the lav. while waiting for the other pax to deplane at the end of an intl. flight on AA and when I came out I surprised the last remaining FA. She told me to hurry up so she could leave the plane.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

TedTAce

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:03 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 23):

ROFLMAO!!

I'm sorry for this guy and his family, doing an Elvis routine on an airliner has got to be a rough gig, but honestly WTF does it have to do with 9/11???
This space intentionally left blank

TGV

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:32 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 33):
Perhaps a 'head count' should be done by the f/a's shortly before landing and after the lavs are closed to make sure everybody is accounted for.

Not event necessary !

As I mentioned in reply #27, on AF they check all bathrooms during the cabin preparation for landing, ensuring they are empty. So nobody can stay inside. And consequently people have to be seated, so the head count is not useful.
Avoid 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y ! They are real sardine cans

uafedexflyboy

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:53 am

The only question I have is, why did it take so long to find the body? On international inbounds the aircraft must have a GSC (Ground Security Coordinator) perform a security sweep on the aircraft before anyone is allowed onto the aircraft after it has completely deplaned. This includes crew members (even the ones that brought the aircraft in), aircraft cleaners, catering, maintenance, or any person not involved in the security sweep itself. That is a customs and TSA requirement. Part of the sweep includes a, rather thorough, search of the lavatories. Either way the body should have been found long before the cleaners found it.

satx

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:15 am

TGV - IMO, AA is a little lax about this sort of thing. It's not like some other carriers where you have FA's running around 20 minutes before landing making sure everybody is back in their seat and locking everything up. At least not on most of the intl. AA flights I've been on.

Also, the scenario you describe would still have allowed this guy to reach the lavatory once the plane was on the ground. When I was leaving the lavatory at the end of an intl. flight on AA, nobody stuck around to see why a piece of luggage was still sitting in my seat. I just happened to open the lavatory door right as the last FA was running off the plane. At least, that's what she told me.

To me, this seems like a plausible story if we assume the man was not in the lavatory when the plane landed. At that point everything begins to make sense. As for TSA protocol, well, we all know what good that is. You're only as strong as your weakest link, and we still have a lot of weak links
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

BOEING747400

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:20 am

Probably a heart attack.

Does anybody else know the actual cause of his death?

Dtw757

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:22 am

Is it just me or does "Dead Guy Found On Plane" seem a bit disrespectful towards a man's life? Although it may be true and to the point; I know that if he were a friend of mine or member of my family I certainly wouldn't appreciate him being referred to as "Dead Guy"
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

isitsafenow

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:52 am

Oh I dont know, DTW757. That's the headline you might see in a newpaper like the New York Daily News(i'm not kidding). But I agree with your point. Perhaps at the time of print it was unknown if the body was of a passenger or what..?
For all they know, it was an airline employee.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

fbgdavidson

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:02 am

I was actually on a flight from IAD-LHR in December 03 and it happened that a guy was frozen in the bay of the wheelbay! He was in there for about half a dozen flights...scary

I doubt this chap is the first to kick the bucket in a lav. A couple of years ago a passengers on a BA flight killed himself in the lav, quite how I don't know. BA service not being that bad>
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

flybyguy

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:10 am

I'm taking a beginner's First Responder course and through what I have learned thus far, it may be a heart attack, but it could also be a choking victim found in the restroom. Seemingly, most choking victims (who aren't completely choked at first, but have food lodged in their gullet somewhere) die in restrooms because they are too embarrassed to signal for assistance for fear of causing a scene (gagging and or vomiting to clear food) therefore they end up choking worse in the restroom thinking they can clear the blockage and eventually die of asphyxiation.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

LY4XELD

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:43 am

Quoting Fbm3rd (Reply 30):
maybe if was the food...or the small AA seats.

Wow, it took 30 posts for someone to take a cheap shot at AA. That must be a record!  duck 

Quoting SATX (Reply 37):
I still find it really odd that none of the passengers complained about somebody hogging the lav.

We use a 777 on this route; there are plenty of other lavs on the a/c for passengers to use, assuming of course that he went in there at some point during the flight when others would also be using the lav.
That's why we're here.

mtnmanmakalu

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:53 am

The problem with this is that the cleaners found the dead PAX- At NWA, we do not lock the lavs for take-off or landing, but are required to check them to make sure they are empty before getting off the A/C. It is impossible to keep track of every PAX going in and out of the lav during flight, hence the final check.... I'm sure somebody (an F/A) will be in trouble in the end on this one...
mtnman
I do, I don't, whatever.......

QuestAir

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:42 am

Wouldn't the other pax that were sitting in the same row as him have noticed that the guy was not there during landing and notified a f/a?
'Do we carry rich people on our flights? Yes, I flew on one this morning and I�m very rich.' - Michael O'Leary