Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TPASXM787
Topic Author

TPA-MSY Southwest Question

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:37 am

In October I have to fly to MSY for a wedding. The SWA people at TPA can probably answer this best. This may be an incredibly dumb question, and if it is flame away, but what 737 model does WN use on that flight, or does it just change all the time??

I don't want to be stuck on an old -300 for two hours after a cattle-call to get my seat.

Thanks!!

flamed 

bobnwa

RE: TPA-MSY Southwest Question

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:40 am

Do you think the seat you sit in will be different on the various models that Southwest may use on this flight?

N1120A

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:44 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Thread starter):
This may be an incredibly dumb question, and if it is flame away, but what 737 model does WN use on that flight, or does it just change all the time??

I don't want to be stuck on an old -300 for two hours after a cattle-call to get my seat.

According to the schedules, 3 of the 6 are 73Gs and 3 of the 6 are 733s. In all honesty, the seats are the same, and many of the 733s are quite new, so what is the problem? As far as the "cattle-call" goes, frankly it is at least as organized at a WN gate as it is at another carrier's gate where they say "now seating group 1, now seating group 1 and 2, etc."

TPASXM787
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:46 am

Sweet! I have been stuck on some old 737's on DL, US, etc and they have been horrible. I mean like to the point where I was wondering they last time they had any interior MX.

Thanks!

N1120A

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:15 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 3):
Sweet! I have been stuck on some old 737's on DL, US, etc and they have been horrible. I mean like to the point where I was wondering they last time they had any interior MX.

WN's 733s are transitioning to the all leather 73G interior, and are kept up quite well. On most 733s at WN, the only way to tell it is a 733 is looking at the wing.

48v

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:00 am

I just flew TPA-MSY on a WN 733 last week. Had the nice new leather interior. It was just fine - would have been more than fine except that the flight was completely full. And it's quite a bit less than two hours, too.

FlyingTexan

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting TPASXM787 (Thread starter):
I don't want to be stuck on an old -300 for two hours after a cattle-call to get my seat

The alternative is getting stuck in Atlanta.

I've taken this route on a 733 - don't worry - you have nothing to fear.

Adding to what N1120A says, Southwest’s boarding procedure is no less uncivilized compared to any other US carrier on most short flights.

TPASXM787
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:06 pm

I am encouraged by these responses...I've never flown WN before and not sure what to expect. Heard some great things/some bad. When I saw 737-300, I was thinking great another old 737 that needs a lot of interior t.l.c. like the ones I have been one before on different airlines. I had no idea about the leather interiors that is a nice touch.

And yes, after being faced with the alternatives of:

TPA-ATL-MSY on DL
TPA-CLT-MSY on US
TPA-MEM-MSY on NW(DC-9's included  Smile )

WN was an easy choice!

N200WN

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:59 pm

Quoting TPASXM787 (Reply 7):
I had no idea about the leather interiors that is a nice touch

There are still some WN 733's that haven't been converted to the leather seating yet, and I know of at least one (as of about two weeks ago) that still had the lounge (aft facing) seats. If your lucky enough to get on the one with the lounge seating go straight to the back and take one of the aft facing seats for a fun ride.

In any case, on the 733's/73G's with all fwd seats, there are 92 window and aisle seats out of 137. If your in the A or B group getting a good seat won't be a problem. I was number 126 to board once and still got a window seat.

MSYtristar

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:06 pm

All I can say is this. The 733's with the new interiors are just as appealing (if not more so) than any narrow body plane flying with any airline currently. Very comfortable seating with ample legroom. I wouldn't hesitate to fly on a newly-configured 737 cross country if need be. They sure beat the heck out of FL's 717 fleet.

By the way, TPA-MSY is usually only around one hour and twenty five minutes flying time, sometimes a tad more, but it's pretty short overall. It's a scenic flight too if there are no clouds. Sit on the left side of the plane and you'll have a great view of the Gulf of Mexico coastline for most of the flight.

FlyingTexan

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting N200WN (Reply 8):
There are still some WN 733's that haven't been converted to the leather seating yet, and I know of at least one (as of about two weeks ago) that still had the lounge (aft facing) seats.

N508SW still had the aft facing seats as of two weeks ago. However, it is a -500 variant. I scored it twice on the same day.

The original poster is traveling in October – all the aft facing configurations will most likely be gone.

ejmmsu

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:52 pm

If you want skyteam points, go with NW since MEM is an easy connection.

However, if you aren't concerned about miles, go with WN. Their service is really very good in comparision to coach service with other airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos