jetpixx

How Long Until Airports Sell Naming Rights?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:57 pm

How long do you think it will be in an overly commercialized, marketing-crazy society that like in professional sports - which has been bastardized - that we see airports selling naming rights to their buildings to generate revenue?

I would not be shocked or surprised to see this - such as Orlando Disney Worldgate or Atlanta Coca-Cola International Worldport.....something dumb like that.

Jet-lagged

RE: How Long Until Airports Sell Naming Rights?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:12 pm

Aggggghhhh. What an awful idea. But you could be right. Airports with poor financials could make such decisions.

What about Seattle - Boeing or Microsoft??

JonnyGT

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:14 pm

Tampax International Terminal

Heavy Traffic Flow

Indy

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that Jonny  Smile

It will happen one day I'm sure. Honestly I can't believe that it isn't being done already on at least some level. But then again...

Like in DTW... they could name the terminal Ford International or something like that. But I think the airports like having the city name in the title instead of a sponsor. And if anyone is going to get a name in then it will be an airline. Then again I hope they do better with that then they did with stadium sponsorships.

Anyway... best chance is at building naming versus airport naming. Just think.. you could have concourses Mickey, Donald, Pluto and Daisy at MCO  Smile God that would be confusing. Did you arrive at gate Mickey 21 and park in Donald 3 or was it arrive in Pluto 3 and park in Mickey 5? By the time you get to Disney you will need prozac.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

oly720man

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Would Medellin or Bogota be Cocaine International, or is it already?

To be a bit more serious, any airports to be named Pope JP II international? Krakow? Rome? There can't be that many he didn't visit during his time.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

ushermittwoch

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:32 pm

Quoting JonnyGT (Reply 2):
Tampax International Terminal

Well TPA wouldn't even have to do too much rebranding for that one...
 Smile
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Indy

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:45 pm

Quoting Ushermittwoch (Reply 5):
Well TPA wouldn't even have to do too much rebranding for that one...

I have some ideas on how to drag this topic down even further lol. But I think I'll go to bed instead.  Smile
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:49 pm

BAA have already sold advertising space on their jetways, to HSBC (looks SO tacky). FRAPort have done the same at FRA, with Royal Bank of Scotland (!?). Eueuww.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

fbgdavidson

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:55 pm

If it means I pay less in airport taxes I don't care if they want to decorate jetways and the like, although I don't think it will!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

cornish

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:00 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 7):
BAA have already sold advertising space on their jetways, to HSBC (looks SO tacky).

Its only a matter of time before BAA puts advertising on their staff - a sponsors logo like on football shirts  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MANTEC

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:06 pm

There are airbridges at MAN sponsored by NatWest and Royal Bank of Scotland
at T3......but you won't find a branch of either inside the airport.

I can't see MAN being renamed "Sir Alex Ferguson International" though.....  eek