RICARIZA
Topic Author

Possible Sale Of Aires And West (Colombia)

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:49 pm

Today in the most important newspaper of Colombia (Eltiempo.com), appeared an article announcing the final steps in the process of selling Aires and West between AIRES and TACA.

This is the link to the article (In Spanish):

http://200.41.9.39/economia/2005-04-...LO-WEB-_NOTA_INTERIOR-2037771.html

The article also says that Colombia has become a main interest for airlines in America based on its geographical location.
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

komododx

RE: Possible Sale Of Aires And West (Colombia)

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:12 am

Wow! So now only Satena and a few handful of tiny regional carriers will remain Colombian.

I heard before LA was interested in Aires and TA in West, although I believe West would be the clear choice for both LA and TA, unless LA plans on making Aires much much bigger than what it is.

I was surprised to hear West is starting a third subsidiary in Aruba. Any news on the routes they will fly? I can see BOG, MDE, CCS, SJO, maybe PTY and others...

Stefano
I'm homeless and unemployed

2travel2know

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:14 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 1):
I heard before LA was interested in Aires and TA in West, although I believe West would be the clear choice for both LA and TA, unless LA plans on making Aires much much bigger than what it is.
I was surprised to hear West is starting a third subsidiary in Aruba. Any news on the routes they will fly? I can see BOG, MDE, CCS, SJO, maybe PTY and others...

West has been flying MDE, ADZ <> PTY and ADZ <> SJO for more than a year and there sure is an interest of TACA to make their presence in Colombia stronger, long ago, the only Centralamerican airlines flying Colombia (other than panamanian) were SAHSA who did ADZ and LACSA who did BAQ and later BOG just before it became TA.
AUAis an attractive destination with a reliable home-airline, so it's something WEST has been on the look for. I think AUA main attraction for whoever sets an airline there is that US Inmigration and Customs right there in AUA airport and the AUA <> States <> AUA flights.

Quoting RICARIZA (Thread starter):
The article also says that Colombia has become a main interest for airlines in America based on its geographical location.

This long has been a true fact, in spite of BOG altitude - AV somewhat uses it to its advantage and ACES did make use of it a bit when they were OK - but too bad their "hub" was in BOG not in MDE where they were originally from.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

RICARIZA
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:00 pm

Yes and the article also says the threat that Panama represents for the same geographical reason.
I guess the next months and years are going to be very interesting to monitor based on all the movements on the industry on this part of the world.
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN