nsfguy

Southwest.. How About A Dress Code...now!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:25 am

Just got off a SWA flight with several truckers who missed the shower on the way to the friggin' airport. Wearing these disgusting open arm tee shirts where the armpit hairs just hang out like cavemen. I understand many people don't give a damn how they look or smell, it used to be the backpack hippie/maggot types that took off those grateful dead sandals and picked there toes in front of you that really pissed me off. Pack um' in, ship um', and unload um' is what the airlines do. Just like cargo. Why not a dresscode, or even having a box of those free SWA tee shirts to hand out to the stench bunch so we don't have to endure this. Is there ANY airline that forbids these open armpit shirts?

atrude777

RE: Southwest.. How About A Dress Code...now!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:30 am

Nope, AA has them, NWA has them, UAL has them every airline has them.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

txagkuwait

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:39 am

If you recall from an earlier episode of "Airline" on one occasion when Southwest had a "passenger of odor" the gate agent/CSR had the individual clean up in the men's room and provided him with a new shirt prior to letting him continue his journey.

The previous poster is right. Every airline has them. On a per capita basis I would say I've seen more on America West and Delta (and usually get assigned seat right next to them on a RJ).

With any luck, your flight was not completely full and you could change seats....which you might not be free to do on other carriers.

The biggest complaint I hear (over at FlyerTalk) is not that these people are on all airlines...they are...but some FFs seem to resent the fact that these less-than-olfactory-pleasant individuals have a propensity to upgrade to First Class.

September11

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:40 am

dress code? That only applies to non-revenue passengers, unfortunately. One thing that is for sure: no nudity is allowed!

well, what is public transportation? ... Southwest is part of public transportation?

If you take public transit system (bus, subway, etc) you will see same thing ...

I've seen a lot of women with open armpit shirts on board.
Airliners.net of the Future

kl911

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:43 am

dress code? Who cares? Get a life..

KL911

willbdsp

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:54 am

Sometimes it could be something like a cultural thing. There are many countries that do not see the need to bath daily as opposed to others. If you can't take it, ask a flight attendant to be reseated. If you can't move, breath through your mouth and enjoy your flight.

JAGflyer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:58 am

Diet can cause B.O. Sometimes after I eat curry I can smell it on me and that's why a certain cultural group is stereotyped to smell like that.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

ordpark

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:08 am

I don't think that nsfguy is talking about dietary or cultural issues.....some people just don't care how they look or smell.....I can remember when you had to travel in jacket and tie (I'm showing my age, I guess).....but the public wants cheap transportation and the less than desirable smelling seatmate comes part and parcel with low fares....

Falcon Flyer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:17 am

How about not...................................
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

Ralgha

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:20 am

Ya get what you pay for.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

qantas777

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:29 am

I wish it were like the old days where people got dressed up to fly. Really, most pax dress like crap these days and its just a sign of our crappy society. So there...dress up!

Cactus739

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:30 am

Another rant and rave from grandpa simpson...this topic should not single out Southwest. This happens on all airlines. You shouldn't be so quick to judge why they might not have showered. Maybe they were up last night with a sick family member and overslept? Maybe their hotel ran out of hot water or had a power outage? Maybe they had some sort of emergency and had to catch the first flight they could.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

September11

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:37 am

Quoting Qantas777 (Reply 10):
I wish it were like the old days where people got dressed up to fly

Me too! It is was really fun... Look at those passengers in the movie "Airplane!" -- all dressed up! Even the little boy....
Airliners.net of the Future

CTHEWORLD

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 am

It is called a LCC for a reason, you get what you pay for. Maybe, in the case of your flight, it should be called a Low Class Carrier. You certainly don't expect to run in the same people shopping at Neiman Marcus of Barney's as you do at WalMart, do you?

n844aa

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:25 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 3):
well, what is public transportation? ... Southwest is part of public transportation?

If you take public transit system (bus, subway, etc) you will see same thing ...

There's a difference between a common carrier and public transportation.

I agree with everyone who says that this isn't a problem limited to WN. You're going to find it on every airline. It's not a question of money, but a question of class. There are a lot of people in society who have no regard for other people, only for themselves. It isn't Southwest's fault and it isn't a Southwest problem. I personally try to dress nicely before I travel and you can be damn sure that my personal hygiene will be in no way, shape or form be offensive. Sadly, not everyone else feels the same way.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

777STL

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:26 am

People in cut off T-shirts don't bother me. It's the people who take off their shoes and socks and walk around the plane in bare feet. Or even better, if they're in a bulkhead row, they prop their bare feet up on the bulkhead. I know a lot of people walk around in bare feet but I find it kind of revolting, a commercial airplane is not your house.
PHX based

NIKV69

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:27 am

One thing I have learned is that if you are going to fly WN you have to expect things like this. This is why unless I have to get to LAS in a hurry I use WN for the ISP-LAS Non-Stop. Otherwise I will not fly them. They are flying buses. So deal with it.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Piedmontbrat

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:34 am

This is not a Southwest thing. This occurs all too often on ALL carriers. There's little or no excuse for not being able to go to a restroom and "freshen up" before a flight. There are plenty of places that sell toilet items like deoderant that can be used.

Poor grooming habits are a sign of laziness and bad manners. The "I don't give a damn what others think" attitude sometimes needs a good slap in the face. Regrettably, I fly all too often and encounter passengers that have either not bothered to bath or have chosen to bath in their cologne's or aftershave.

Both are equally offensive...kinda like parents of screaming and unruly children!

fspilot747

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:35 am

Airlines (at least some of them that I'm aware of) have the right to boot passengers with, yes, bad body odor. It's in the F/A manual according to a book written by a former flight attendant (great book, too. IIRC, the title was "Plane Insanity" by Eliot something or the other).

I think it should be enforced. I'm a firm believer that flying is a privilege, not a right.

nsfguy

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:51 am

Not just WN for sure, but so many sluts and crackheads getting shifted from town to town via the penny flights, it really unpleasant. Maricopa county Arizona sends homeless and other down and outers off into the great sky for family support or employment elsewhere, or just about any reason that will get them off the streets, out of section 8 houses or hotels, and off the public dole if the poor slob can convince the social worker that a one way $59 fare to the golden state will set things right.

AirframeAS

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:55 am

You guys got to remember that WN targets leisure travellers more than business travellers. Thats why you see so many people dressed like that.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

qxq400

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:59 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 18):
book written by a former flight attendant (great book, too. IIRC, the title was "Plane Insanity" by Eliot something or the other).

One of the funniest and truest books about what it is like working for and airline and what we see.  bigthumbsup 
Welcome baby Madison Renee

Byrdluvs747

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:20 am

Quoting Txagkuwait (Reply 2):
On a per capita basis I would say I've seen more on America West and

Pure crap! You base this on what statistics? A few HP flights five years ago? For the past 10 years, I've flown at least 30-40 HP flights of varying lengths every year, and I never see trashy people in the quantities I see boarding/exiting WN flights. LAX/LAS are probably the best airports to see WN's "elite" travellers.

The fact that the original poster said it was on a WN flight just adds to what many here refuse to admit.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

ntspelich

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:35 am

Ok, guess what. If you don't like WN's product, whether it be lack of assigned seating, no IFE, the pax sitting next to you or whatever it may be, do yourself a favor: please fly another airline that will make you happy.

Bitching and moaning on the internet to a bunch of people that have absolutely no control whatsoever about righting the wrongs that have been done to you will not help one iota. Other than the fact that it may make you feel better about yourself. And, if that was what resulted from this thread, good for you. I hope that you're now a happy camper.

Off to work for the only airline that's posting a profit, god forbid that part of it be from providing a service to what most of you see as the dregs of the earth,

NTS

[Edited 2005-04-17 20:42:22]
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

txagkuwait

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:57 am

Byrdluvsus writes in, and I quote: >>"Pure crap! You base this on what statistics?"<<

I work for DOD as a Transportation Officer.

Accordingly, I ride the contract carrier, even if that is HP.

Right now HP has the contract from ELP to PHX and a few other destinations. SEA, I think, is one of them.

You would not believe the lengths Colonels and General Officers and DOD Civilians in the grade of GS14 and above will go to in order to avoid having to ride HP.

True, this is anecdotal evidence, but in a headquarters of some 160 folks who seem to live on airplanes, it speaks volumes.

The general consensus among these folks (who could scarcely be termed cheap or trashy people) is that in and out of El Paso, regardless of the destination, it is tough to do better than WN. Most would rather be eaten by fire ants than wind up on America West.

My most recent personal incident was roughly a year ago trying to go SAN-PHX-ELP (WN is the contract carrier but they were full on the SAN-PHX leg)....and I got assigned the rearmost window seat on a Barbie Dream Jet (one of Mesa's, I think) next to a 400 lb gentlemen who apparently sweat a lot without bathing very much. When I asked to be reseated, and the FA told me the flight was full and I had the choice of taking my seat or deplaning and being placed on priority standby for a later flight, I decided I had had enough. I managed to route myself SAN-LAS-ABQ-ELP on the ugly plane people (who, contrary to popular belief, actually targets business rather than leisure travelers with some degree of success).

Isn't living in a free country great? You can choose to believe that all Southwest customers are trashy people who smell bad. There seem to be quite a few of them if you look at their passengertraffic stats or financials. At any rate, other airline management can keep on believing that an assigned seat with minimal pitch in Y and surly FAs will help them fend off challenges from Southwest.

I would ask this about HP.....if they are so vastly superior to Southwest, why does their market share (head-to-head) in what would appear to be primarily business markets stink so bad?

Market share statistics (from dot)

LAX-PHX WN 69.1
BUR-PHX WN 72.6
ONT-PHX WN 84.0
SAN-PHX WN 77.0
SJC-PHX WN 60.2
ABQ-PHX WN 85.7
ELP-PHX WN 83.5
SLC-PHX WN 57.2
LAS-PHX WN 78.0

The real bottom line here.....nobody can impose an arbitrary dress code on passengers as a common carrier. If a passenger is offensive due to dress or body odor to such a degree that it is negatively impacting other customers, then they can require remediation from that passenger prior to carriage.

ACDC8

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:34 am

Ah, the romanctics of airline travel! It's a amazing how a lot of people today consider 2 shopping bags from Wal Mart matched luggage!  rotfl 

Cheers,
Patrick
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

JGPH1A

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:15 am

I'm a firm believer that flying is a privilege, not a right.

Spoken like a kid who's never had to pay for his own ticket ! That's pure BS - if you pay the price of the ticket, you get to fly - period. You can were a toga and a lampshade on your head, if you want, and nobody can say any different.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

777STL

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 25):
Ah, the romanctics of airline travel! It's a amazing how a lot of people today consider 2 shopping bags from Wal Mart matched luggage!   

Cheers,
Patrick

How bout the people who pile all their belongings into those vinyl bags that bed comforters come in? I've seen more than a few of those.
PHX based

CTHEWORLD

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:27 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 26):
That's pure BS - if you pay the price of the ticket, you get to fly - period.

The terrorists on 9/11 bought their tickets, was that their right as well? I think FSPilot747 meant flying isn't an inalienable right, much like a driver's license is a privilege not a right. I am not sure about the "French Southern Territories" but here in the U.S.A. a carrier CAN have a dress code, along as it is enforced fairly, evenly and without discrimination. Nowhere in our constitution does it say "every citizen has a god given right to fly on an airplane"

SFOMEX

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:49 am

If WN can enforce their "person of size" policy, I don't see why they couldn't enforce a "person of odor" policy". Pennies or big bucks, whatever you pay give you some rights, among them to fly without a smelly person at your side.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

747srule

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:53 am

I flew WN ONT-OAK earlier this month,and saw two men in suits. The other pax were dressed casual. No complaints here.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

ACDC8

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:54 am

If 7/11 can have a sign that says " No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" I am sure that the airlines can enforce some sort of dress code.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
Patrick

Tango-Bravo

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 3):
dress code? That only applies to non-revenue passengers, unfortunately.

It has come to the point where (on all airlines) it is the non-revs who tend to stand-out conspicuously -- because they are among the few pax on board who don't look like slobs.

Boeing73G

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:33 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 29):
If WN can enforce their "person of size" policy, I don't see why they couldn't enforce a "person of odor" policy". Pennies or big bucks, whatever you pay give you some rights, among them to fly without a smelly person at your side.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 31):
If 7/11 can have a sign that says " No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" I am sure that the airlines can enforce some sort of dress code.

You know, WN could take this as an oppurtunity to profit off this.
It would work, and WN could make a good profit off this by charging for 2 extra seats (a whole row to themselves)  Wink

Me and my parents always fly at times where the plane is full of biz travellers, so it is not a problem at all. On a recent AS flight, most of the pax in coach were businessmen in coats and ties, along with the occasional casual traveller.

Another excellent way to profit: Sell $1 1-oz. cans of Axe bodyspray (guaranteed to work)  Silly

isitsafenow

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:37 am

Why do you think I call them Air Greyhound? I like em but it seems that SW opened to door to come-as-you-are travel a few years back and now we do it with all carriers. Honestly, who is to blame, the carriers or us?
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

N1120A

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:55 am

Quoting Qantas777 (Reply 10):
Really, most pax dress like crap these days and its just a sign of our crappy society.

Really? Apparently you seem to miss what flying can do to one's body. It is not only more comfortable, but healthier to fly wearing casual clothing than business suits and the like. I think passengers have figured that out over the years and unless they are getting off the aircraft and going into a business meeting, they try to be comfortable

Quoting CTHEWORLD (Reply 13):
You certainly don't expect to run in the same people shopping at Neiman Marcus of Barney's as you do at WalMart, do you?

Except that WN is in no way, shape or form like ExploitationMart

Quoting Nsfguy (Reply 19):
Not just WN for sure, but so many sluts and crackheads getting shifted from town to town via the penny flights, it really unpleasant. Maricopa county Arizona sends homeless and other down and outers off into the great sky for family support or employment elsewhere, or just about any reason that will get them off the streets, out of section 8 houses or hotels, and off the public dole if the poor slob can convince the social worker that a one way $59 fare to the golden state will set things right.

That may be one of the most bigoted things I have seen written on this site, and I have seen some nasty stuff.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):
You guys got to remember that WN targets leisure travellers more than business travellers.

Except that since their inception, WN has carrier more than their fair share on business routes.

It's a amazing how a lot of people today consider 2 shopping bags from Wal Mart matched luggage!

I have never seen anyone, on WN or otherwise, do that.

I'm a firm believer that flying is a privilege, not a right.

Sure. I agree. It is a privilege for those who are willing to let all people have that privilege and not one for those who cannot deal with people who are different from them flying.

Quoting CTHEWORLD (Reply 28):
Nowhere in our constitution does it say "every citizen has a god given right to fly on an airplane"

Nowhere in our Constitution does it say any god gives anyone rights

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 29):
If WN can enforce their "person of size" policy

Every airline has a similar policy, it has just been more often reported on with WN

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 34):
I like em but it seems that SW opened to door to come-as-you-are travel a few years back and now we do it with all carriers.

I don't think Air Namibia did that for anyone. As far as WN goes, like I said before, I think the quest for comfort on an airplane has been around far longer than WN has been such an influential member of the aviation community.

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 34):
Why do you think I call them Air Greyhound?

Probably because you are not good at making accurate comparisons?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

justindpilot

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:03 am

WN does enforce making persons of offensive odor clean up before the flight, if it is noticed. Granted its not 100% because you will have some agents that are to embarrassed to say something, but if you as a pax see this before boarding then bring it to an employees attention and they will deal with it. If they don't, ask for a supervisor that's what they are there for. You as a paying customer should not get sick by the smell of someone else, and that customer should not put you in that situation. The same as a customer of size. If you know your to big to put the arm rest down then buy 2 seats, your using 2 so buy two. Remember you can always get the second refunded if the flight does not go out full (at least on WN I don't know about policy on others). PLEASE dont limit your bashing to LCC's only. All airline employees will have the same smelly, fat, drunk, vulgar pax stories to tell regardless if it is AAL, UAL, SWA, NWA, COA, AWE...

Justin

jetdeltamsy

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:07 am

it's a shame. but as long as they don't stink and all the "important" parts are covered, what can you do?
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

1MillionFlyer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:19 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 16):
One thing I have learned is that if you are going to fly WN you have to expect things like this. This is why unless I have to get to LAS in a hurry I use WN for the ISP-LAS Non-Stop. Otherwise I will not fly them. They are flying buses. So deal with it.

enough WN Bashing move onto DC-9 NW posts
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

NASCARAirforce

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:22 am

I hate dresscodes, however DO TAKE A SHOWER before going on a plane. However I think tanktops/muscle shirts are a no-no on a flight. T shirts, jeans yeah thats cool.

jafa39

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:27 am

Nowhere in our constitution does it say "every citizen has a god given right to fly on an airplane"

Odd but your constitution seems to allow you to "bear arms" but you get all upset over "bare arms". No-one ever died from anothers armpit hair, best to deal with the big problems in society first maybe? After all, it wouldn't be the "land of the free" if truck drivers and labourers weren't allowed to fly!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:41 am

I've flown all the majors, including Southwest and have seen my fair share of "disgusting" passengers on the prestigious airlines such as United, Delta, and Continental. Nobody likes it, but it happens...

JAGflyer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:44 am

It's not just WN, its all airlines and all destinations. When in LAX I saw a lot of pax who were going to/coming from "poorer places" with cardboard boxes and plastic bags as luggage. This doesn't mean ALL people from that place or on that airline are poor, it just means that because of the fare/location it might attract the less classy people. The cheap fare carriers are more attractive to the lower class citizens such as this man.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

isitsafenow

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:14 am

N1120A..not good at comparisons? Oh, I don't know, Sonny, maybe thats why I have over 1700 plane rides logged. I think I have seen it all...and then some.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

ACDC8

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:22 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 35):
It's a amazing how a lot of people today consider 2 shopping bags from Wal Mart matched luggage!

I have never seen anyone, on WN or otherwise, do that.

Don't fly much?

FLY2LIM

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:36 am

but here in the U.S.A. a carrier CAN have a dress code, along as it is enforced fairly, evenly and without discrimination. Nowhere in our constitution does it say "every citizen has a god given right to fly on an airplane"

In the United States, a "dress code" of any type is discriminatory. It requires people who cannot afford clothes to buy a certain type of clothes. That is why you cannot enforce uniforms in public schools. Kids show up with $100 Nikes but when you say that they must wear a "uniform", they say that it's discrimination because they don't have money for clothing.
American society in general dresses a lot more casually than other societies. And yes, I am from another culture where I used to wear a tie and dress down shirt to teach school. In the US, I can wear jeans and a tee shirt to teach. I don't but others do.
A dress code on a US airline is something that will never be.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

ltbewr

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:09 am

I would suggest that while some pax are total slobs and others may have body odor offensive to us due to diet, some odor and appearance problems may be due to factors they have/had little control over. That can include a diet heavy in foods different that most Americans eat that can cause 'different' body odors. Some have allergies to deodorants. My brother has sensitive skin and has difficulties using deodorants.

I would also ask how many of us:
- Had to rush to the airport, in warm or hot weather, and perhaps not in the right clothing?
- On a long trip 'run out' of clean clothes or more appropiate clothes were dirty and not really wearable?
- Didn't have enough time or opportuntiy to wash up or take a shower prior to a flight or took a flight after a long day's work.
I know that there were times I didn't have the time to clean up or change clothes prior to or between a/c stops or changes on a long flight trip or where my clothes are on a second warm day. So I hope I didn't offend anyone.

The clothing problem seems to be worst on flights from leisure destinations and odor from some warmer or international locations. Can there be a dress code? Probably not to the degree many of us would like, but some 'code' should be in place in case of an emergency, people have enough clothes on to protect them during evaculation procedures. Yes, there can be 'slobs' all over, and while for some it is due to lazyness, stupidity, or just not have much in the way of class, but sometimes these problems occur in other areas of our live such as in a store, a place of employment or a place of entertainment (like a movie theather). I realize that when your locked up for x hours inside a closed enviroment and not able to select whom you are seated near or to move, it can be annoying, but one should be understanding and try not to add thereselves to the problems.

iowaman

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:25 am

Quoting FLY2LIM (Reply 45):
A dress code on a US airline is something that will never be.

Well my dad is required to wear a Suit and Tie to work, and the teachers at school are required to wear at least khaki's and a collared shirt, except on Friday's. I don't know what the law is in California, but in Nevada and Iowa they can fire you for any reason, or refuse service for any reason.

KabAir

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:33 am

I'd like to see people dress nicer on flights sometimes - but - (and this is not a knock to WN) -

Wouldn't WN introducing a dress code be like McDonald's requiring a tie and jacket?  Smile
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

gothamspotter

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:41 am

There are hygenically clueless people in all walks of life, whether they be truckers in tanktops or bankers in suits. You see (smell) them in all forms of transportation, on all routes, on all airlines, bus lines and rail lines. Yes these people are gross, but to single out a particular airline is elitist and ignorant.