Topic Author

Airlines To Outlaw "outside" Food?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:48 am

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but it just came to my mind:

Most airlines have discontinued meal services on allmost all domestic flights and replaced them by "Snack Boxes" or "A la carte dinners" for purchase. So they are kind of a restaurant in the sky now. But will they follow most restaurants' example and disallow outside food, so you won't be able to bring your own food aboard and eat it there? It would be a little hard for them to enforce, but certainly doable.

What do you think? Will they try to increase food revenue by prohibiting fiood you bought in the terminal or brought from home?

iowaman

RE: Airlines To Outlaw "outside" Food?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:50 am

Bad idea, Hopefully not, a lot of airlines even tell you that you can bring food on if you wish.

WindowSeat

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:55 am

Major airlines like Delta Air Lines have discontinued the Food for Purchase program on their mainline flights (still going strong on Song) replacing it with snack boxes, which can hardly be termed food.

We've gone along with all the changes that airlines have made, no food, no food for purchase, no pillows, ever decreasing seat pitch etc etc, but the day they start banning food from outside, that day will see passengers up in arms.

It's almost like, "Give me my morning coffee and no one gets hurt"

cheers
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

ANCFlyer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:03 am

Not a chance in hell. Want to watch a riot at the gate, tell some mother she can't bring the kids aboard with their little ziplock bag of Fruit Loops! Nope, won't happen.

Want to see another ass-chewing - tell me I can't bring my Chicago Italian Beef Sandwish aboard when my other choice is a nasty box of something not even as nutritous as the greasy, slimy sandwish I intend to consume.  hissyfit 

Nope, won't happen.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

UN_B732

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:12 am

Doesn't RYANAIR do this?
-Mr. X
What now?

atmx2000

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:13 am

I don't think the airports and the vendors to which they charge high rents would appreciate this.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

4holer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 am

I could make a crack about there being some parts of the world that a dog or cat in the pet carrier might just be lunch, but I won't. That would just be in poor taste.
Seriously, the airlines would never do that. If they did, they'd have to outlaw bottled water as well, right?
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

kl911

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:35 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 4):
Doesn't RYANAIR do this?

No they don't. I always bring my own bottle of drinks and a large lunchbox. ( Almost everybody does...

KL911

piedmontnut

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:39 am

And you have to take into consideration those with medical conditions who have special diets. As a result they bring along their own food. This will be a hard policy to enforce. But if anyone wanted to be bold enough to do it I can think of a few airlines.  blockhead 
May the A380 arrive @ MCO in the near future.

PanAm747

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:41 am

Never will happen.

In September, 2003, I flew HP BWI-PHX. The gate agent's first announcement went something like this: "Ladies and gentlemen, in just a few minutes we will begin boarding America West flight #71 with service to Phoenix. Just as a reminder, this is a snack and beverage service-only flight today, so we recommend that if you're hungry, you visit one of the restaurants in the terminal. You are more than welcome to bring food aboard, and there will be a beverage service".

Ryanair might be the only airline to try this, but I cannot see other airlines doing this. They'd all have to be in collusion, and Lord knows Southwest would be the hold-out, if for no other reason than to be a thorn in the legacies' side.

Besides, I've enjoyed fabulous food from airport restaurants, and taken it onboard my flight. I just pretend I'm back in the golden age of flying and the airline served it!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

SQno1

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:42 am

Leskova

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:54 am

Quoting SQno1 (Reply 10):
But Air Asia Do

I guess they just want to stop people from bringing Durians as their lunch...  Wink

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

trintocan

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:18 am

Air Asia's website seems interesting - but they say "In light of the region's diversified culture, outside food and drink will not be allowed on board". That sounds a bit vague - is it that somebody may bring pork on board which may upset Muslims, who are in the majority in Malaysia? Or, indeed, that famous Durian....

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

LPLAspotter

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:27 am

I couldn't help but think of Hannibal Lecter when he gives that little girl a taste of human brains. Sooner or later somebody is going to bring something vile on board and the airlines will start rething the strategy of BYOF.

LPLAspotter
Nuke the Gay Wales for Christ

OttoPylit

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:30 am

I don't think its something that you have to worry about. In fact, most airlines would welcome it. Delta's gate GIDS screens show a message that will go something like:

"Delta XXX does not offer meal service. Customers are welcome to bring their own food to be consumed onboard the aircraft."

I flew just the other day and I knew it was a short 45 minute flight and I had not eaten all day, so I bought a sandwich at the terminal and opened it up as soon as we took off. Scarfed it down in 5 minutes and felt wonderful. Flight attendant came by and asked if she could take that empty bag for me; she most certainly could, thank you. Meanwhile, everyone else was chomping their granola bars.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

777STL

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:35 am

How could you tell a diabetic they can't bring aboard food? How could you tell someone with PKU they can't bring aboard food? How could you tell someone about to sit on a plane for 15 hours they can't bring aboard food?

YOU CAN'T!
PHX based

piedmontnut

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:47 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 15):
How could you tell a diabetic they can't bring aboard food? How could you tell someone with PKU they can't bring aboard food? How could you tell someone about to sit on a plane for 15 hours they can't bring aboard food?

Indeed. I can see the hoard of lawyers lining up for that case and deservedly so. Sorry, but as someone who requires a special diet due to a medical condition I will be more than happy to sue the first airline who refuses me to bring my own food on board or at the least is willing to provide me with the necessary meal.

This is of course something that I always arrange for at the time I make my reservation. Which is something I advise anyone to do.

Birdwatching

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:58 am

In a recent thread, somebody posted that on the new Sterling long haul flights, outside food will be banned. Just look at the current Sterling thread, I am to lazy to dig it up.

BTW, movie theatres dont allow outside food either. And a movie takes longer than a domestic flight.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

prosa

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:04 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 17):
BTW, movie theatres dont allow outside food either. And a movie takes longer than a domestic flight.

Rumor has it that most movie theaters make more profits from the sale of food and beverages than from the sale of tickets.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

piedmontnut

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:10 am

Quite true, but if you have a medical condition, and require a special diet you can plan around a 2 hour movie. Not so with your typical intra US flight. How many theaters have you been to lately where the movie was delayed due to weather or mechanical reasons?

Kind Regards.

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:17 am

And a movie takes longer than a domestic flight.

Movies are two hours. Domestic USA flights can be up to six or so.

Tomys

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:19 am

Quoting 777STL (Reply 15):

YOU CAN'T!

Exact my opinion too. Furthermore, you are paying 'flight' ticket, means they will get you from one place to another and besides that they will give you benefirt like food, newspaper etc. But I am sure they cannot prevent you from eating your own foot.

Tomys

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:21 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 18):

You can go out of theather any time should you wish to eat something special. I can see difficult to do so on flight.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:23 am

If I'm flying a domestic flight (JFK-HNL, let's say) I'm going to bring a lot of food!

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Tomys

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:24 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 23):
f I'm flying a domestic flight (JFK-HNL, let's say) I'm going to bring a lot of food!

Take care of weight limitations  Wink

lincoln

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:09 am

I don't know which movie theaters you go to (or what movies you see -- it's been a LONG time since I've been in a movie longer than my average domestic flight), but the movie theaters I patronize all allow outside food and drink.

I saw Fever Pitch at an Edwards Cinemas location last night... the couple in front of me were munching on some kind of Mexican food and a few seats to my left a group of teens were sharing a large pizza from the shopping center's food court.

(The fine print on the signage with the "We reserve the right to refuse service..." type stuff includes "Outside food and drink may be consumed on these premesis. Paid admission is not required to patronize the concession areas" or something to that effect)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

satx

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:40 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 18):
Rumor has it that most movie theaters make more profits from the sale of food and beverages than from the sale of tickets.

It's not a rumor, it's true. In fact, for the first 2-3 weeks after a movie's release, a theatre house gets virtually no profit from that movie's ticket sales. After that, the theatre gets a slowly increasing slice of the ticket sales.

Quoting Trintocan (Reply 12):
is it that somebody may bring pork on board which may upset Muslims, who are in the majority in Malaysia?

There are two likely reasons IMO.

1. They are in a conflict of interest, and are trying to convince folks to buy their terrible meals.

2. They do not want folks stinking up the cabin with all manner of foodstuffs.

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 20):
Movies are two hours

Well, I can think of many movies that were way over two hours. The three Lord of the Rings movies come to mind.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 25):
the movie theaters I patronize all allow outside food and drink.

While I'm glad you have this option, to my knowledge nothing like that exists in my area. In fact, we have theatres that are more than willing to kick you out if you try it.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:03 am

So they are kind of a restaurant in the sky now. But will they follow most restaurants' example and disallow outside food, so you won't be able to bring your own food aboard and eat it there?

Not a chance. Besides, the reasons restaurants ban outside food is that their entire business revolves around selling food.

Airlines carry people from point A to point B. Sales of food are incidental.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

aa777jr

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:44 am

AA actually encourages passengers that wish to eat, but are flying in cattle class, to purchase the meal on board and they also have suggested getting something to eat and bringing in onboard. Last time I flew out of SNA, the gate agent clearly said on the speaker the McDonalds is located across from gate 9 when she was doing announcements.

Regards.
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

EnoreFilho

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:34 am

I took an AA flight from ORD to MIA, and brought my own Big Mac!!!!

No problem!!!

In my opinion, there must be a freedom of meals, choosing between bring it or buying it inside the a/c.
Member of the all mighty Canudos Air Force!!!!

ltbewr

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:51 am

Some of the best food I have had on an airline was something I brought on with me.  biggrin  I also like to bring water and snacks with me on longer flights and especially now with the cutbacks in food services, fuller flights and flight delays, it can be a good idea. Depending on the time of day, I have usually got something to eat before I board and decline the on board meal. Some LCC's in the past and now, tend to encourage bringing food on board. On a flight on PeopleExpress Brussels-EWR, as they didn't serve meals, I had with me a fresh bagelette of bread, some slices of ham and cheese, I had pruchase shortly before going to the airport, chips and a Godiva chocolate bar for dessert. Some on board where kinda selfish of my choices, wishing they did the same.
I can see a problem with some foods and the desire to limit or ban some or all foods. Some can be messy to consume like some fruits or that North Carolina BBQ sandwich. Some foods offend others like pork products with many Muslims and Jews or cause allergy problems, like peanuts, or have odors or smells that offend people of other cultures. Some foods also may not last long without refrigeration or being kept cold, so that could lead to some food going bad on a long flight. You may also cause the person in the seat next to you turn drooling and nasty toward you as you don't offer a part of your your tasty food.  biggrin 
To start to determine what foods a person can bring on board can cause conflicts one doesn't want to do at boarding or on the flight.

jacobin777

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:55 am

AA and BA very cool about bringing food on board...also, as a Muslim, I can't eat their turkey sandwich anyway (not that I would if I could, but their meats aren't zabiha/halaal/kosher).......that being said, I always bring my own home made food and drinks (non-alcoholic of course)..mmm...mmm...mmmm...... Big grin
"Up the Irons!"

ckfred

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:25 pm

If the airlines were really smart, here is an idea.

It seems like whenever I fly out of ORD on AA, I'm either at K-2 or K-19. I'm never next to or across from the McDonald's. So, I can't run over and buy a meal just before boarding.

So, I usually wind up buying a meal and eating it at the gate. My problem with buying food at the airport, in addition to having to carry my coat and carryon to McDonald's and then back to the gate, is that I wind up either eating out of the bag or setting food on my lap.

Now, I could eat in the food court, but I can never hear announcements, and three of my last four ORD departures had gate changes.

The idea is to install flip-out tray tables, like the ones in the bulkhead row in coach, in the seats at the gates. Thereby, I could eat a meal in a more civilized manner.

I wouldn't expect airlines to start installing these, but they could do it as gates are remodeled, or gates are changed from one carrier to another.

Bluewave 707

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:58 pm

What's funny is the look from FA's when you only ask for a glass of ice, and even funnier when I have a can of XS Energy Drink waiting on the tray table.  Big grin
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:39 pm

Quoting 764 (Thread starter):
so you won't be able to bring your own food aboard and eat it there?

Anything to do with Food poisoning issues or just Cultural issues.

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 33):
What's funny is the look from FA's when you only ask for a glass of ice, and even funnier when I have a can of XS Energy Drink waiting on the tray table

I can Imagine  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Indy

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:24 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Not a chance in hell. Want to watch a riot at the gate, tell some mother she can't bring the kids aboard with their little ziplock bag of Fruit Loops! Nope, won't happen.

Want to see another ass-chewing - tell me I can't bring my Chicago Italian Beef Sandwish aboard when my other choice is a nasty box of something not even as nutritous as the greasy, slimy sandwish I intend to consume. hissyfit

Nope, won't happen.

The problem is there is probably a no tallen a** clown sitting in a board room thinking up ways to make money. And this idiot will figure he could basically force people to buy his overpriced meal box my prohibiting them from bringing food on the plane. Don't think it would happen? Its the same kind of vermin that have come up with crooked business plans for the likes of Microsoft and Ticketmaster. Its the same people who decided you didn't need pillows, blankets or even comfort on a flight when they squished the pitch down to 30" and made the seats 17" wide. They don't care about you or your comfort and if they can find a way to squeeze an extra $5 or $10 from you for bad service and questionable food then rest assure it will happen. They will just need to find someone as useless with more than one other airline to go along with the plan to make sure you don't have a choice.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

jonty

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:29 pm

You can't take fruit on some flights coz its against the rules of what you can take between countries i think! I remember buying some fruit in china and the tour guide told us to eat it before we went home coz you weren't supposed to take it to England!

Bluewave 707

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:54 pm

The only thing with carrying food on-board, is that (especially if it's a burger & fries), the food will get soggy or at least cold. And the scent of "smuggled" food permeating through the cabin will get some attention.

I've been flying HA and AQ to the mainland (and back), and their food is great compared to others.
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

777ER
Crew

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:02 pm

Quoting 4holer (Reply 6):
they'd have to outlaw bottled water as well, right?

Then they would have to disconnect all water supply on board also

Quoting Piedmontnut (Reply 8):
bold enough to do it I can think of a few airlines.

Put Ryanair on the top of the list
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

Birdwatching

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:02 pm

Quoting Jonty (Reply 36):
You can't take fruit on some flights coz its against the rules of what you can take between countries

Wrong. It is true that you can't take unprocessed food INTO certain countries, but as long as you are aboard the plane, i.e. before clearing immigration, you can bring your own banana palm.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

BigOrange

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:42 pm

I think they should just ban bringing your own hot food on aircraft, like pizza and burgers.

I had a traveler complaining about this exact thing last week. The smell of pizza throughout a 3 or 4 hour flight gets a bit much!

BigOrange

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:47 pm

This is a duplicate posting sorry!

[Edited 2005-04-18 16:51:03]

piedmontnut

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:11 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 38):
Put Ryanair on the top of the list

Indeed, you are on to something there.

PHLBOS

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:26 am

If I'm not mistaken, LCCs in the U.S. like WN and FL, for examples; do mention on their websites that bringing food aboard their flights is permitted.

IMHO, I don't think an outside food ban will take effect; especially on domestic flights.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

jetstream63

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:42 am

I'll always be bringing my own food on board from now on. Last time I flew United (4 1/2 hr nonstop Dulles to PHX at dinner time) they ran out of on board meals just as I was banking on buying one. Long way to go on a tiny pack of pretzels. They'll find it impossible to enforce a ban for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Doona

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 am

This may just be me being stupid, but last month I was flying out of ORD, flying to MAN on a AA 763. About an hour into the flight the meal came, and I ate it. Still, I felt a little hungry after the meal, and the dude next to me opens upp his carry-on, and lifts out a pizza that he must have picked up from the food court! So he's sitting there munching away, and my stomach is screaming for justice! Perhaps I should have done the same, bringing food with me, but at the time I remember feeling that there ought to be some obscure FAA regulation prohibiting 'outside' food, and letting fellow passenger summarily punish whoever violated regulation but pummeling the dude, and then eating his food!

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

bjg231

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:49 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 18):

This is absolutely true. In fact, a movie theatre makes approximately 70-80% of its profits on food sales. This is due to the fact that a large portion of all ticket sales go to the distribution company. This cut usually tapers off as the film remains on the screen. For example, for opening weekend, the distributor usually takes 90% of all ticket sales, 80% on the second weekend, etc. Only about a dollar per ticket directly goes to the theatre. Airlines that serve meals (for purchase) could not possibly make such a case for outlawing food on board.

On a side note (and back to topic), outlawing food on flights would NEVER happen. You can quote me. The difference between sitting through a 3 hour movie without food and sitting through a 3 hour flight without food lies in your ability to exit the theatre at any time. If you're starving, suffering from low blood sugar, feeling ill, etc., you can't exit the plane to go get food. Regardless of whether it's offered for sale on board or not, the passenger must have the opportunity to satisfy his own dietary requirements himself (what if someone has a special diet, etc.?).

The second an airline institutes this policy, they will not only be susceptible to civil lawsuits (which they would most certainly lose), but criminal as well. If a person is seriously injured or dies on the flight due to the airline's unwillingness to allow them to bring food on board (even if they offer food for sale), they could be found to have directly contributed to that passenger's condition. Economically, the legal ramifications of instituting this policy would far outweight any increase in food sales. Trust me.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

CM767

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:30 am

Quoting 764 (Thread starter):
prohibiting fiood you bought in the terminal or brought from home?

Sounds as good as banning carry-on items.
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

litz

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:52 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
Want to see another ass-chewing - tell me I can't bring my Chicago Italian Beef Sandwish aboard when my other choice is a nasty box of something not even as nutritous as the greasy, slimy sandwish I intend to consume. hissyfit

Nope, won't happen.

You should have seen peoples faces a few weeks ago when a family trooped aboard a DL MD-88 w/full lunch from The Varsity ...

(you have to be from ATL to understand ...)

- litz

airtrainer

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:17 am

It's still possible to bring your own food on FR flights, according to this link, but I was sure of the contrary...
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=chk&quest=bringfood

You can't bring your food on Air Asia as someone said before, and I also think you can't do this with Tiger Airways...
Life is short : eat dessert first !