bkkair

TG To Lose Big $$$$ On NYC Route For First 3 Years

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:16 pm

According to the article in the Bangkok Post, TG won't make money on the non-stop from BKK-NYC until 2009. (service starts 1 May 05, 6x weekly using an A340-500)

They are expected to trim the loss to US$115,000,000 by the 2nd year of service. Yes, a loss of US$115,000,000 per year on one route flying 6 days a week! This is an incredible investment and I just don't see TG continuing the route with these enormous losses.

Are TG crazy? The article also says that TG will evaluate the route after 3 months. Then what, drop it?

Only 200,000 people a year travel between Thailand and the US and the numbers are decreasing each year, according to the article.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/18Apr2005_news02.php (registration required)

schipholjfk

RE: TG To Lose Big $$$$ On NYC Route For First 3 Years

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:23 pm

So why is TG then starting this service? As a NYC resident I really didn't see any need for direct service to BKK. $115 million seems a bit excessive if the numbers are true. So what are TG's rationale for initiating this flight?
The fun of flying... love it !!!

MAH4546

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Quoting Bkkair (Thread starter):
They are expected to trim the loss to US$115,000,000 by the 2nd year of service. Yes, a loss of US$115,000,000 per year on one route flying 6 days a week! This is an incredible investment and I just don't see TG continuing the route with these enormous losses.

That number is, simply put, incorrect. It doesn't even cost $115,000,000 to operate the flight annually. What the writer probably mean was $.437 billion bhat (or 43.7 million).
a.

planemannyc

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:46 pm

Although the number of passengers between US and Thailand maybe only 200,000 per year, let's not forget Thai also feeds to its vast Asian network (and let's not forget all the Asian carriers that fly to BKK). CMB, MAA, CCU, KTM, DAC, DEL, YGN, CGP, HAN, SGN, MNL, KUL, PEN, SIN, JKT, TPE, DPS come to mind.

Question is, with SQ having 2-3-2 seating, how much of a convenience/discount does TG have to offer to siphon passengers away to its flights?

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

RAMPRAT980

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:49 pm

Is it possible that the U.S government may be subsidizing TG ?
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

panamair

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:23 pm

Quoting Schipholjfk (Reply 1):
So why is TG then starting this service?

Simple case of "keeping up with the Joneses" - in this case the Joneses being SQ with their SIN-EWR service.

6thfreedom

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:41 pm

According to the article in the Bangkok Post, TG won't make money on the non-stop from BKK-NYC until 2009. (service starts 1 May 05, 6x weekly using an A340-500)

what is the source of information the newspaper is using. From my experience, mainstream papers know nothing about aviation.

In Australia, papers frequently miss quote.
they can't even work out the difference between Air China and China Airlines!

N1120A

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:12 pm

Quoting Ramprat980 (Reply 4):
Is it possible that the U.S government may be subsidizing TG ?

For what reason in the world would that be so?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

PA110

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Are TG crazy? The article also says that TG will evaluate the route after 3 months. Then what, drop it?

This would be a classic Thai move. TG may have pretty planes and even prettier flight attendants, but they have absolutely no clue how to go after sales in the North American market.

They closed their sales offices because they weren't filling their planes. Guess what... their sales dropped even further, so they had to further reduce frequency. These guys are unbelievable. The sad bit is that they'll probably never change. It's in the Thai culture. They can't lose face by admitting they're in over their heads. So instead, they sit and do nothing until the crisis overtakes them.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

PA110

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:53 pm

Quoting Planemannyc (Reply 3):
let's not forget Thai also feeds to its vast Asian network

Sorry, but totally irrelevant. With decreased frequencies and closed sales offices, TG has lost most of their major tour operator business that was responsible for over half their leisure sales. They do not pursue any sales beyond the local ethnic Thai town business in Los Angeles. Some business comes their way by way of the Star Alliance, but this is more by accident than by actual sales efforts on the part of TG management. Bottom line, other airlines do it alot better. Out of the NYC region, TG is going up against almost every other major Asian carrier, all of whom have a far more robust sales organizations with well established distribution channels for their products. TG is severely behind the curve here, and thus far with a single sales person, does not have the ability to compete.

AF022

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:36 pm

totally agree with PA110. TG's marketing savvy is terrible. BKK doesn't have nearly the business traffic that BKK does, and TG's ability to connect passengers through BKK is hindered by terrible schedules.

the current LAX flight arrives BKK at 2230, and within 4 hours there are connections available only to:

NRT (pointless)
ICN (pointless)
BNE
CCU
FRA (pointless)
KIX (pointless)
CDG (pointless)
FCO (pointless)
NGO (pointless)
MEL
MXP (pointless)
PUS (pointless)
ZRH (pointless)
ATH (pointless)
PEK (pointless)
PVG
FUK (pointless)
ARN (pointless)
LHR (pointless)
CPH (pointless)

Basically, the only destination to connect to where TG has some sort of possibility of capturing passengers from more circuitous options on the competition is Calcutta.

supa7E7

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:48 pm

Their Thai Smooth as Silk campaign was great. Maybe marketing they can't do, but their brand image is top-notch. As a very attractive airline with Star Alliance connections, they will capture the premium NYC-BKK market.

The business market is strong, ethnic market is strong, and tourist market is growing. They'd have done this in 1995 if the proper equipment existed.
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

HB-IWC

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:00 pm

Although the number of passengers between US and Thailand maybe only 200,000 per year, let's not forget Thai also feeds to its vast Asian network (and let's not forget all the Asian carriers that fly to BKK). CMB, MAA, CCU, KTM, DAC, DEL, YGN, CGP, HAN, SGN, MNL, KUL, PEN, SIN, JKT, TPE, DPS come to mind.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There's scheduling issues with virtually all of the destinations mentioned in this list. India originating passengers are looking at a 20-hour BKK lay-over on the outbound sector, while for almost all South East Asian destinations there is no connectivity on the return journey as the JFK flight arrives BKK in the late afternoon!

Schedule-wise, only SQ got it right with its nonstop EWR service as well as its one stop FRA-JFK flight. Both MH's one-stop EWR service and this new TG service are very ill-timed, as a result of efforts by the two airlines to jack up utilization. These efforts will however come back and haunt them because they're bound to lose plenty of business as a result of miserable scheduling.

Overall, I do agree with many of the posters here that TG is not doing a very good job in marketing its products. I would like to add to that, that their product has also been lacking consistency and that it is surely not easy to market the airline's LAX product, which suffers not only from bad scheduling but also from a mediocre product at best. TG often operates the non-refurbished B744s on the route. No wonder things haven't been going well lately.

TG's recent history shows a remarkable number of miscalculations and ill-informed decisions. The airline must by now be the champion of opening new destinations and closing them again within a record time. Geneva and Abu Dhabi are recent examples, but there's others in recent past. And as the cards are laid out right now, I have a feeling that JFK could be the next one on that infamous list.

nethkt

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:05 am

Well...we will see.

There are thousands of rumours everyday. But, from 1st May, we will see.

I actually called them to list myself on standby staff. The loads are around +10, +15 depends on day. So I will see it when I fly BKK-JFK on 7th May and back on the 14th May. Will let you guys know!

I hate rumours...rumours are always rumours...but we will see!!

Wink
Let's just blame it on yields.

DLPMMM

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:58 am

I'll be going in July for the 2nd time this year, but it will be via NRT due to business needs. The 200K pax per year seems suspect to me, I would think it is many more.

I think some here are confusing Marketing and Sales. Thai's marketing campaigns have been quite good. There sales efforts (i.e. closing sales offices...) might have been poor.

SAS_A330-300

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:05 am

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 12):
Both MH's one-stop EWR service and this new TG service are very ill-timed

For some reason MH recently upgraded their KUL-ARN-EWR service from 772 to 744 after only 5 months of operation. The service is mostly adjusted to the ARN-EWR leg. TG's service just follows the normal departure time of their longhaul flights at that time at BKK. The arrival at BKK is about when most longhaul flights from Europe also arrives.

TG's recent history shows a remarkable number of miscalculations and ill-informed decisions. The airline must by now be the champion of opening new destinations and closing them again within a record time. Geneva and Abu Dhabi are recent examples, but there's others in recent past. And as the cards are laid out right now, I have a feeling that JFK could be the next one on that infamous list.

TG might maybe not be so well organized, however as long the europeans keep coming to Thailand I don't see any reason put them on a black list.
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

6thfreedom

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:23 am

IMO, TG should be focussing on increasing capacity and consolidating on routes where it does well. Their product in the Australian market is terrible, and there was/is a window of opportunity for them to consolidate and be a leading carrier between Asia, Europe and Australia.

Yet, they continue to send there beaten up MD11's to places like MEL, where they are the only carrier on the sector, and could easily have 80% market share. However, due to their inferior product, pax continue to make the dreaded 3-4 hr transit via SYD to fly with QF/BA.

And if/when QR enters the sector, they will be kicking themselves further for not making changes earlier.

I wonder how they will cope in SYD this year. Not only have they added over 600 seats pw due to 3pw services going non-stop to AKL, but EK has also added over 2,500 seats per week on the BKK-SYD sector...

It's a shame - an airline with so much potential, with a hub in a country most people like to visit... yet....

as739x

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:51 am

RampRat980: That may be one of the silliest things I have ever seen on A.net. I hope you had some sarcasim!
-
I can see that plane ending up in SFO or SEA or both real quickly with these kind os losses going to JFK. Maybe TG would consider a SEA stop over (ex. EVA) on the way. SEA has a huge Thai population, not to mention is a former TG route.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

iluv747400

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:55 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to operate a flight to San Francisco or Chicago, Star Alliance hubs, which could provide the flight with real connection opporunities?

PyroGX41487

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:22 am

Don't forget more service to LAX, Iluv747400.

I think JFK is a smart move for BKK, only if it starts code-sharing with US Carriers there. From JFK (and even LAX/SFO), TG has access to many middle-American destinations, not to mention Canada. As for who would actually want to fly to such a destination from JFK is up to the statistics.

~ Pyro

Dionysus

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:38 am

This non-stop BKK-JFK route is tremendously political influenced. As someone as mentioned, some idiots in TG have this vision of copying SQ, thus this non-stop route was born. They even said that TG would attract more paxs as this service is the fastest to JFK from SE Asia (implying that they are in better position than SQ). They really think that one hour less flying time from BKK would make significant different.

And may be they've forgotten that paxs from BKK are mostly non-business (i.e. low revenue) paxs compared to Singapore.

I think it would be more economical viable, if TG would pick ORD instead of JFK. ORD is a huge UA hub which TG can code-share many flights to major US cities with UA.

TG is run mostly by crowns and idiots whom only care about skimming of $$$$ from plane and spare parts to toothpicks procurement.

planemannyc

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:49 am

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There's scheduling issues with virtually all of the destinations mentioned in this list. India originating passengers are looking at a 20-hour BKK lay-over on the outbound sector, while for almost all South East Asian destinations there is no connectivity on the return journey as the JFK flight arrives BKK in the late afternoon!

Looks like Thai is trying to get 6th Freedom from Bangladesh.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...eneral_aviation/read.main/2063016/

flyguy1

Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:02 pm

Quoting Nethkt (Reply 13):

Thai will still get some pretty good connections with the 1610 arrival into BKK, esp. in Thailand:
CEI, CNX, HAN, UBP, UTH, URT, RGN, SIN, KUL, PEN, HKT, HDY, KKC, PNH, PHS, KUL, SGN.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

HB-IWC

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:05 pm

Quoting SAS_A330-300 (Reply 15):
The arrival at BKK is about when most longhaul flights from Europe also arrives.

Longhaul flights from Europe arrive mostly in the morning. The JFK service will arrive in the late afternoon, making connections to many points in Asia virtually impossible without a night's lay over in BKK. Not that I mind a night in BKK, but that's another story.

MAH4546

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 23):
The JFK service will arrive in the late afternoon, making connections to many points in Asia virtually impossible without a night's lay over in BKK. Not that I mind a night in BKK, but that's another story.

The JFK arrival connects easily with flights to Colombo, Delhi, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpor, Mumbai, Kolkata, Saigon, Singapore and Sydney, plus most of Thai's domestic network. Most are quick connections (2-3 hours), and some are long (Kolkata especially, which would mean a six hour layover), but they connect.
a.

PA110

RE: TG To Lose Big $$$$ On NYC Route For First 3 Y

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:24 pm

Quoting Flyguy1 (Reply 22):
Thai will still get some pretty good connections with the 1610 arrival into BKK, esp. in Thailand:
CEI, CNX, HAN, UBP, UTH, URT, RGN, SIN, KUL, PEN, HKT, HDY, KKC, PNH, PHS, KUL, SGN

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
The JFK arrival connects easily with flights to Colombo, Delhi, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpor, Mumbai, Kolkata, Saigon, Singapore and Sydney, plus most of Thai's domestic network. Most are quick connections (2-3 hours), and some are long (Kolkata especially, which would mean a six hour layover), but they connect.

You guys just don't get it. TG could make all the connections under the sun and it STILL WOULDN'T MATTER. TG's revenue is primarily low-yield ethnic/leisure. They lack the draw for the business market. Who is going to fly TG via BKK to SIN when they can fly SQ direct. Both CX and SQ have better reputations, better service, AND most important - better sales and marketing. By marketing, I don't mean pretty billboard or magazine advertisements. We all know TG has excellent aesthetics. By marketing, I mean that SQ and CX have identified their key clientele and set up excellent distribution channels to reach those customers. TG has a single sales rep in NYC and a hollow shell of what used to be a sales office in LAX. How on earth do you expect them to compete?

Like DIONYSUS said... this flight is entirely politically motivated. It is the most tragic example of "keeping up with the Jones". The sad fact is that TG management is riddled with incompetent toadies and government lackies. They just don't have sales and marketing expertise to properly develop the North American market.

[Edited 2005-04-20 08:31:21]

copaair737

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:36 pm

I hope TG starts up some SFO service soon. It would be great to see TG's A345 at SFO, and plus SFO is a giant Star Alliance hub, so connections could easily be made. Also, would TG consider starting up HNL service at all?

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

PA110

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:52 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 26):
Also, would TG consider starting up HNL service at all?

TG had the opportunity to open up SFO, but totally passed it up.

You have to understand their North American management. They don't speak english. They are relatives of high ranking Thai families who are enjoying a 3 year tax-free shopping spree in North America. They have little or no airline experience whatsoever. Because of this, they have never bothered to do any market surveys that would have demonstrated that SFO would have probably been a more profitable operation than JFK, but instead, they hang out in Thai Town (the ethnic Thai enclave in Los Angeles) and basically promote the airline through Nail Salons and Thai Restaurants. I know it sounds completly off the wall, but you've got to see it to believe it.

HNL is not likely because it is not profitable. HNL does not generate enough originating traffic to pay for the operations costs.

copaair737

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up PA. I often wondered why TG did some strange things, and I guess that explains why. I hope that they could get their act together, and start making some good decisions. If they don't, some other SE asian airline, like Malaysian, will get in on it. There is probably a market to be had there.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

MAH4546

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:32 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 25):
You guys just don't get it. TG could make all the connections under the sun and it STILL WOULDN'T MATTER. TG's revenue is primarily low-yield ethnic/leisure.

All I said was the JFK arrival easily connects with various destinations. I never once stated that such arrival time and connecting oppurtunities will equate to profit. I think Thai flying JFK-BKK, and 6x weekly at that, is ridiculous.
a.

spk

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 am

This flight will connect to most Indochina, India, and China destinations. Connecting traffic to those destinations may give them some business traffic. A nice stopover package may also help boost sales.

thaiaggie

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:57 am

I couldn't agree more. THAI's marketing in north america sucks big time. I don't even fly them to BKK when I go visit my family. They need to do something with it soon otherwise BKK-JFK will be history in like.....months
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

nethkt

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:48 am

Connections to India and China, that's the point for JFK flight, I guess.

I think someone here just reading the news, not working in airlines themselves. So their eyes are always blur.

CX is overhyped, those boring Chinese passengers in Business class make me sick. But, they pay money to CX.

Lower price would attract passengers.

TG always make money on European routes though most of pax are what so called "LOW-YEILD" (hate to say that word, as someone just copy others and stating it all the time).

But, you know what, those "low-yield" pax wouldn't care about mileage, nor IFEs, nor whatever people say (they just want to sleep and get laid later when they arr BKK). So TG donesn't have to worry about them...just say "Sawasdee ka". Together with the very low salary they pay to Thai staff (well, Thai labour cost here is very low  Sad ) TG earns big money.

It's the world of low cost. But, low cost at the correct position of the company, not just cutting food providing on board !!  Wink

nethkt

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:07 am

Where is eveyone?
Come and make some noise in here!!

net

CXoneworld

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:33 pm

Quoting Nethkt (Reply 32):
Connections to India and China, that's the point for JFK flight, I guess.

Why do you think passengers from Shanghai or Beijing (i.e. where the real money is) backtrack so much just to catch a flight to JFK? If they don't fancy a direct flight, choices are always plentiful via HKG, ICN and NRT, etc. Really, please stop expecting passengers to pick TG by default, simply by virtue that it has opened a new route.

Anyway, a person could still work in an airline but not involved in hands-on managerial decision-making, at least not effective ones. I do partly agree with you that lower fares would potentially attract more passengers. But a successful business always runs with an aim at maximising returns. That is one very mediocre suggestion of yours that TG should sit back and do nothing by hanging on to the thinnest profit margin possible.

And this is what you can offer as "industry insights"?? I hope that is not a joke...

Quoting Nethkt (Reply 32):
CX is overhyped, those boring Chinese passengers in Business class make me sick. But, they pay money to CX.

Your point is... ?? Any unwarranted remarks with no substances make me sick too.

[Edited 2005-04-22 11:38:59]
oneworld alliance revolves around you

spk

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:39 pm

No need to fight. I bet TG management, mediocre as it is, still know a hell lot more about aviation business then all of us here is this forum. And they are making profit, mind you, unlike many other airlines. Let's see how this flight turns out. If they don't believe that they will make money, they could have selected other US destination. Any US destinations still allow them to show off their brand spanking new A340-500.

zvezda

Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:30 pm

Three years of losses on the route?? Could that be how long it takes to get B777-200LR deliveries?

malaysia

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:34 am

Quoting PA110 (Reply 27):
You have to understand their North American management. They don't speak english.

exactly no wonder why they dont want to hire me, they fear me cause I know about aviation a lot better than even the CEO (an aviation unknown)

I hope I get my investments and business plan together, I am thinking of running a small carrier in Thailand which is made of aviation professionals and real people, not people of the Central Thai class

TG staff is underpaid and you must have a 4 year degree to even work at the ticket counter, which is rather depressing, can you imagine how all those thai people will feel realizing that a US airport does not need a college degree even to become a Station Manager.

Also on the other hand, TG is so bad at discounting, so people from JFK can of course fly CI,BR, or even JL at 1/2 the price TG will offer on the nonstop route to BKK
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens