mauriceb

Airbus: ''First A380 Flight Not Before Monday''

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:37 am

Airbus announced that the First A380 flight will be in the week of 25 april, stating that it won't be this week yet and it isn't certain that it will fly on the monday mentioned on the forums.....

source: Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

Espion007

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:45 am

Wow i wonder if this thing will ever get off the ground. Reminds me of a poll done on A.net in 2000 asking "do you think the A3XX will ever fly?" about 1/3 said "probably not". I think im part of that 1/3 now Big grin
Snakes on a Plane!

mauriceb

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:59 am

Wow i wonder if this thing will ever get off the ground. Reminds me of a poll done on A.net in 2000 asking "do you think the A3XX will ever fly?" about 1/3 said "probably not". I think im part of that 1/3 now

yeah , extanding the first take-off with 3-6 day's is a disaster, wich states that it won't fly. NOT

just some delay, thats all...

khenleydia

RE: Airbus: ''First A380 Flight Not Before Monday''

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:16 am

The A380 will fly. I hope its test flight go well and are safe. I would rather them delay the test flight and get it right then rush it and have an accident.

It will fly and it will be successful. At least I hope it will be. Competition is GOOD! And with time, people might even think that it looks better, at least when it is flying.

KhenleyDIA
Why sit at home and do nothing when you can travel the world.

glidepath73

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:20 am

Airbus makes just sure that everything is alright before the first flight. If you build a remote controlled aircraft, you have to make sure that everything is alright before you take off the first time. That's the same here, but much bigger and much much more expensive.
I think this delay is comparing to the whole project not even worth to mention it.
I whish Airbus all the best for the first flight of the A380!!! Many happy landings... (and take offs...)

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

MD11Engineer

RE: Airbus: ''First A380 Flight Not Before Monday'

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:28 am

At the moment most of western Europe has quite sh*tty weather. I think they´ll wait until monday for the weather to stabilise before they attempt the first flight.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

lehpron

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:33 am

You folks know the old saying, "it's not about the goal, but the journey", makes me kind of sad. Forgive me, I grew up around people who have given more of a damn about the goal and not the journey.

I guess I have gotten used of following along the progress of something only to see it fail (oddly enough I loved that new movie called SIN CITY because of its never ending plot -- hell my own life is a never ending plot  Yeah sure ), as if following a plane's was itself a journey, the goal being the first flight. I've seen a lot of those in my life; first with all those kids books that foretold extreme transports by 2010 began X-30, SSBJ, X-33, 745X, 746X, HCST, 747 X stretch, Hypersoar, Sonic Cruiser, etc. Makes me real sick after a while.

I suppse it confuses me, if there wasn't a market for something why invest to show it off to impress future customers in the first place? Essentially every product that I mentioned had enough of a precieved market that warranted investment but somehow that precieved market disappeared such that the organization has no choice to abandon. I have always wondered, why not do as much market research as possible first before spending money? That way we can be sure? Airbus and Boeing did to the best of theie combined abilities with A380 and 787 respectively, whether we believe it is actually irrelevent.

Though I've been following A3XX/A380 since conception, it's just going to be another one of those dreams that end when she flies. Keep in mind I got used to seeing failures, if A380 failed I will not be cheering; I will feel bad, like I jinxed it by getting interested. Likewise I ruin movie experiences by reading what critics claim. I'm susperstitious yes very much so, be quiet; it is justified in my belief of precieved lack of faith in the people in charge of the aviation industry. Big grin
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

cloudy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:34 am

Also, remember the A320 airshow crash way back? They can't have that happen with the A380. It would sink both their PR and their budget. They will wait until everything is right then they will go.

DLPMMM

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:38 am

What's the rush?

It will fly soon enough. I'm sure that Airbus would prefer a blue sky, sunshine day for all those PR photos

Richard28

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:39 am

a quick look at the weather forcast does not look good for Toulouse.

Poor & very poor visibilty over the next 5 days, plus some rain!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=5007

star_world

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:39 am

Quoting Cloudy (Reply 7):
Also, remember the A320 airshow crash way back? They can't have that happen with the A380.

What absolute rubbish, the A320 crash was nothing to do with being too quick with a few days testing!

WAH64D

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:01 am

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 9):
a quick look at the weather forcast does not look good for Toulouse.

Poor & very poor visibilty over the next 5 days, plus some rain!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.sh...=5007

Hmmm, I wouldn't put too much faith in that. The BBC can't even get the weather in London right so what chance have they got with toulouse?

If you want reasonably accurate weather, go to www.wunderground.com or for airport weather go to http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/
I AM the No-spotalotacus.

piedmontnut

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:04 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 5):
At the moment most of western Europe has quite sh*tty weather. I think they´ll wait until Monday for the weather to stabilize before they attempt the first flight.

Indeed. Far better to wait for better weather conditions. Nothing wrong with that.
May the A380 arrive @ MCO in the near future.

MidnightMike

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 am

Quoting Star_world (Reply 10):
Also, remember the A320 airshow crash way back? They can't have that happen with the A380.
What absolute rubbish, the A320 crash was nothing to do with being too quick with a few days testing!

I think the user was talking about "perception", the way the public would look at, which would not always be the truth.
NO URLS in signature

Tolosy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:50 pm

I am sure weather will improve very soon. I come from Toulouse (check my user name) and I know what I am talking about.

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 1):
Wow i wonder if this thing will ever get off the ground. Reminds me of a poll done on A.net in 2000 asking "do you think the A3XX will ever fly?" about 1/3 said "probably not". I think im part of that 1/3 now

No Comment...

lazybones

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:15 pm

Quoting Star_world (Reply 10):

Calm down Star world  Smile Cloudy does have a point. Keep in mind the last a/c Airbus lost in testing was an A330 in Toulouse. Airbus would take every possible precaution and more. To make the first flight a total success. Look out for the words, "its performed better than expected"

I don't think airbus could hide this first flight even if it was at night!! I reckon the FFAS mob are sleeping on site now Big grin

mika

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Do you think that the guys in power at Airbus are nervous about the first flight? I got to think of it as they are probably waiting for the best weather and optimal conditions. I think i'd be sweating pretty badly if i were in their shoes! (Even though it will 99,9% surely fly eventless)

Smile

glideslope

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:31 pm

Will it fly? Of course it will.

Will it meet the Airbus claims of performance? That is the real question. Noel's A380 Forehead has more sweat on it from this than the 1st flight. IMO they will miss it by 3-4%.

Personally, my take on 1st flight will be to immediately head out over water after rotation. Orbit for 30min, then head for the ILS. We will then see at least another 30 days until the next flight.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

jumpjet

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:41 pm

I have to giggle when some of you good folks on A-net adopt a luddite (sorry to our transatlantic cousins - you'll have to look that one up!) approach to the A380 and whether it'll fly or not... I suspect a great deal of these comments may very well be somewhat "tongue in cheek".

Simply take a look at the C17 Globemaster III, whoops - (now a Boeing product, hoho!!!!!!). It appears to have the aerodynamic qualities of a house brick, it's as ugly as a badly smacked baby's bum, yet to see it wheeling over a crowded display line at 1000 feet with everything hanging out at ridiculously slow speeds, is a truly wondrous sight. I know that if I was offered a trip on one, I'd be off like a shot.

I find it hard to believe that the "it'll never fly" and "you wouldn't get me up in one of those" brigade are serious - you're not are you chaps?

If I got the phone call from Toulouse this afternoon, you wouldn't see me for dust!!

Starlionblue

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:15 pm

Also, remember the A320 airshow crash way back? They can't have that happen with the A380. It would sink both their PR and their budget. They will wait until everything is right then they will go.

While I agree that a crash would have a huge PR impact, the 320 and 330 crashes were both due to pilot error, and I would assume the pilots have learned from these lessons. Nothing was wrong with the planes.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

LoveDFW

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:24 pm

How was the 320 crash caused by pilot error? If I remember correctly, they couldn't override the computer. Am I missing something?

mischadee

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:37 pm

Weather for Tuesday looks quite good according to www.wunderground.com.
I will cross my fingers.

Mischa.
ARNiboy

JBOND

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:39 pm

f/f perhaps 26apr (according weather conditions)

1 RTO this morning
1 high speed rolling this afternoon (100kt)

news photos on screening

cheers
yann/ffas

daedaeg

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:04 pm

It'll fly, but on a time schedule of their choosing. And not that of aviation enthusiests anxiously awaiting its first departure. We all just have to be patient.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

hirisk

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:04 pm

the 320 crash was not the computers fault.neither the pilots or airbus for that matter even visited the aerodrome where the airshow was.the flight plan was to do 2 fly-by's.one at low speed w/flaps and gear down and the second at high speed.when they did the first(and last sadly)they decended the less then 100 feet off the ground when they realized that what they thought was an open field was a forest.if anything,the the airplane did everything in its own to avoid the trees.from the FDR,the investigators determined that the engines spooled up faster the what the book said was possable.the accident was 100% pilot error.as a result,3 pax on the airplane were killed(2 kids and 1 adult who went back in to save them.)
happy contrails

NAV20

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:35 pm

If the A320 crash being discussed is the one at Habsheim in 1988, this article quotes John Lauber, Airbus vice-president for safety and technical affairs, as confirming that the flight control systems took over at 50 feet, overruled the pilot, and 'landed' the aeroplane.

"Airbus planes with their fly-by-wire technology and hard limits have also crashed. Six of the A320s have so far been lost.

"One of the very first A320 jets crashed shortly after the jet entered service in 1988, raising many questions about the Airbus philosophy.

"The pilots were making a low and slow-speed pass at an air show in Habsheim, France. The subsequent crash was captured on video. It shows the Airbus plane disappearing into trees, as if it were making a very slow landing. Then a huge cloud of smoke billows from the forest.

"Though the A320 was full of non-paying passengers, all but a few survived.

"Lauber said the pilots were supposed to fly by with the gear down at about 100 feet. Instead, they came in at less than 30 feet off the ground. When the plane gets below 50 feet, the computer assumes the pilots are trying to land, Lauber said.

"The fact is, the plane did exactly what it was supposed to do," he said. Only it landed in the trees.

"Airbus learned much from that incident, Lauber said.

"Until the crash, he said, there was a "genuine psychology" around Airbus that it had designed a crash-proof airplane because of the hard protections.

"The repercussions from that accident continue to reverberate," Lauber acknowledged.

The article shows that Airbus and Boeing have differing approaches to flight control systems. But that Boeing have had their problems too.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/boe202.shtml
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

glidepath73

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Who could give more information about this A330 accident? When happened this?
What was the reason for the accident? Was it a A330 prototype, or a flight test of a ordered 330?

Thanks!
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

alberchico

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:43 pm

Well we all knew that this week was wayyy too early........

cheers
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

wunala

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:50 pm

I think that AIrbus should have kept the date a secret, to stop all the doom and gloom about if it is going to fly or not. We are all looking forward to it, but, if it flies today or tomorrow, then thats cool, as it will be flying in SQ colours from 2006, then you can all start bitching about it proper.

Fritsz

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:52 pm

Airbus is taking absolutely no risk at the first flight of the A380.
A crash during first flight will be disastrous for Airbus and will set them back
many years. Boeing can, if they want, leap into this by enlarging the 747 and
the market for the A380 will definitely be gone forever.
Birds are good, but planes are better...

milan320

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:03 am

Ahh, I can't find the article, but I was reading in the english edition of Der Spiegel (although from these forums I've learned not to believe all that this magazine says) that the flight of the A380 would only take place if the weather was perfect. Plus, the winds must be right as Airbus doesn't want to have the first flight over populated areas, rather take-off and head towards the Atlantic.

Edit: Found the article, or more like a blurb, here's what Der Spiegel had to say:

If everything goes smoothly, the first test flights will take place during the week beginning April 25. However, the maiden flight requires perfect weather. If the wind is blowing from the southwest, a further delay could be required, since that would mean the plane had to take off in the direction of densely populated Toulouse. Airbus has said it would avoid big cities during the test flights and instead fly over the nearby Atlantic

Quoting Glidepath73 (Reply 26):
Who could give more information about this A330 accident? When happened this?
What was the reason for the accident? Was it a A330 prototype, or a flight test of a ordered 330?

I believe they were testing new engines/configurations, and not the A330 prototype per se. I can't remember the actual accident report, but pilot error was one of the reasons. A quick google search should yield some answers.

/Milan320

[Edited 2005-04-20 17:14:55]
I accept bribes ... :-)

MIAspotter

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:06 am

I will be in TLS on the 26th! Hope I can see it fly, or at least on the ground doing some tests!.

Anyone else is going to be there?

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

viscount630

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:10 am

Well said "JumpJet"!!   

[Edited 2005-04-20 18:12:03]
RIP Dan-Air. Where the Secret was SERVICE.

Thrust

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:18 am

Why do they continue to keep bumping back the date of the first flight? Sounds to me as if the A380 isn't doing that well...this thing should've flown a week ago. By Monday they'll be saying no later than Friday. Are there issues right now going on with the A380?
Fly one thing; Fly it well

Mark_D.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:38 am

Thrust--Why do they continue to keep bumping back the date of the first flight? Sounds to me as if the A380 isn't doing that well...this thing should've flown a week ago. By Monday they'll be saying no later than Friday. Are there issues right now going on with the A380?

Why do some folks continue evidently expressing publicly a desire to see A380 have problems, even if none in fact may exist? Sounds to me as if maybe they're not doing that well... this routine of theirs should've stopped ages ago. By Monday they'll be coming up with something new to harangue about. Are there issues right now going on with them in their lives?

Smile

(Kaman. What the heck is all this complaining crud anyway. If the thing first flies in the Middle of May it'll still basically be pretty much on schedule)

HAWK21M

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:40 am

Quoting KhenleyDIA (Reply 3):
The A380 will fly. I hope its test flight go well and are safe. I would rather them delay the test flight and get it right then rush it and have an accident.

Agreed totally.

I was watching an AN124 & B744 parked on adjacent bays last night & thinking about the A380 First flight.
These doubts were raised for their First flights too.But look at them Today.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

tockeyhockey

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:19 am

Quoting JumpJet (Reply 18):
luddite (sorry to our transatlantic cousins - you'll have to look that one up!)

your condescention is really annoying.

the luddites were a group of mainly rural anarchists who wanted to stop the first industrial revolution from transforming the way they lived and worked, without factories and steam powered machines, in rural england and wales. they destroyed machinery and burned down factories to protest the changes they were fearful of.

do you think that we don't study world history over here? do we really seem that self-absorbed?

Mark_D.

RE: Airbus: ''First A380 Flight Not Before Monday'

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:44 am

Tockeyhockey

Not that JumpJet wasn't overly-sweeping with his remark there, but then to borrow a few well-used lines from some of the folks around here though, maybe "lighten up" or "just roll with it, it's called humour, jeeze". And so on.

your condescention is really annoying.

Plus your objection may be even more duly-noted if you'd spelled "condescension" properly. But no biggie  

Luddites (and others) had some of their songs pitted against the likes of Jethro Tull. Ironic in today's context   

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/tse3.htm

[Edited 2005-04-20 20:09:27]

Revelation

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting Thrust (Reply 33):
Why do they continue to keep bumping back the date of the first flight? Sounds to me as if the A380 isn't doing that well...this thing should've flown a week ago. By Monday they'll be saying no later than Friday. Are there issues right now going on with the A380?

Do you get upset when supper isn't served on time? Some times things just take longer to cook than planned. Don't worry, it'll taste just fine.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

bmacleod

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:21 am

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 1):

The same things were said about the 747 early in 1969. I thought the first A380 flight was to take place in early May. Obviously they've moved it up a week or two.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Beaucaire

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:51 am

Latest films ( french local TV FR3 )
http://www.sud.france3.fr/videojt/
click on 19/20 >>Midi-Pyrénées and the first film in the evening news is all about A 380 including voice-com with tower...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

AF-A319

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:05 am

Such a nice movie! Impressive! Merci Beaucaire

longhaulheavy

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:17 am

Love the movie. Merci beaucoup--

JBirchall

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:19 am

Thankyou for the link to the movie. Very interesting to see the plane move, and the shot of the small van in front of the A380 reminded me just how huge this plane is.

All these worries about the 'Trois Cent Quatre-Vingt' are entirely needless of course. What people have to remember is that we are very fortunate to have this forum as a means of discussing the A380. As far as I know there were no communities of plane-loving people able to share this sort of immediate and plentiful information at the first flight of the L-1011 or DC-10. Perhaps the first flight of both was delayed by weeks, or even months. People simply didn't have access to the information then.

LFutia

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:28 am

Impressive clip. I wanna see it lift off!  Smile
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

whitehatter

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 30):
If everything goes smoothly, the first test flights will take place during the week beginning April 25. However, the maiden flight requires perfect weather. If the wind is blowing from the southwest, a further delay could be required, since that would mean the plane had to take off in the direction of densely populated Toulouse. Airbus has said it would avoid big cities during the test flights and instead fly over the nearby Atlantic

There's also the PR angle. Airbus won't want the cameras and lenses pointing towards it in gloomy, misty weather will they!

The delay means nothing, there is plenty of ground testing that can be done in the meantime.

Quoting Thrust (Reply 33):

Is there an issue going on with your ability to read a thread?
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

knoxibus

Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:46 am

Jesus!!!

I was doing some tests on a/c today, and had the chance to see the A380 pass by and do the accelerations at the start of the afternoon!!!

What a SOUND, it was amazing, really the sound is very very particuliar to this aircraft.

And let's not talk about the size!

I have only one thing to say to those who complain about the delays for the first flight:

In 20 years time, nobody will remember it took two or three more weeks to do its first flight, but should it crash (because they rushed it, and that will not happen because they are clever people) everybody will remember it.

So wait and see...
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

M27

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 45):
The delay means nothing,

Looks like it would get to spend more time at the Paris airshow then!

Sukhoi

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:55 am

Knoxibus, you gotta remember these armchair pilots know more about the A380 then all of us  no 

The aircraft was late being passed to the flight test department it will fly when its good and ready

prebennorholm

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:58 am

Just yesterday I received a picture showing the 380 doing a high speed test rotated to almost tail strike attitude with the tail one or two feet off the ground.

That can only tell us that they are fairly confident with the behavior of the landing gear and wheel brakes. And that they are indeed ready to take the bird up where it belongs.

The picture no good since it was taken in terrible weather.

Nice weather will be needed mainly because any unexpected vibration anywhere on the plane must be carefully monitored by a chase plane. It will of course be fully public, but not necessarily published many hours in advance. The whole Toulouse based Airbus workforce will watch it from the flightline.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs