schipholjfk

Waste, Possible Fraud Reported At TSA

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:59 pm

Interesting article about possible fraud/waste at our stellar TSA  Wink

"Transportation Security Administration official spent $500,000 on art, silk plants and other decorations for a new operations center and then went to work for the vendor after leaving the agency,"

"The operations center, located just outside Washington, has a 4,200-foot fitness center with a towel laundry service for 79 federal employees."

"..."inappropriate decision-making by individuals who operated with unchecked autonomy" led to waste and abuse in the construction process."

Full article here:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/19/tsa.waste/index.html
The fun of flying... love it !!!

GQfluffy

RE: Waste, Possible Fraud Reported At TSA

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:05 pm

Sigh. It figures. And to think TSA was going to stop checking boarding passes and IDs at HLN because of inadequate staffing. They just "didn't have the manpower". That's great. Then what's the point of you fools even being there manning the checkpoint? Joe Sixpack can check in, then walk out to the parking lot and give it to Usama Jomomma, and in turn he can get into the secured area. Thank god we talked them out of it. They'd rather drop $500k on art for their HQ then follow their own rules.  banghead 

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

stlgph

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:06 pm

after two articles this week blasting them, including their very existance, all our fine TSA folks are going to be a bunch of happy campers in the coming weeks.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

sanjet

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:09 pm

Ah yes money well spent. We're having sort of a similar problem here in Canada...
That's always going to happen to programs that are funded by governments in any country.
Will Fly For Food!

stlgph

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:09 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 1):
And to think TSA was going to stop checking boarding passes and IDs at HLN because of inadequate staffing.

i always thought the checking boarding passes "thing" was very ineffective.
i know several damn good graphic design artists and printers who could knock out a few if they wanted to, get past security, and ask a unknown persons to carry items with them onto the plane.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

GQfluffy

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:14 pm

Yes, but IMHO, it's better then nothing. There is only a few types of ID (government issue, they are harder to fake, and I have spotted a few fake ID's. I had one once.) that we as an airline will accept. It's great to tell a pax that we need a different ID. You'll receive the riot act because we won't accept a college ID as proper identification. I love my job.

fluffy
This isn't where I parked my car...

midex461

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:26 pm

What?! Fraud and waste in a government agency?! I just don't believe it! That has never happened before!  rotfl 
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

NASCARAirforce

Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:59 pm

People, the TSA are ANGRY!!!

DO NOT LET YOUR GRANDMAS INTO THE AIRPORT

squirrel83

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:02 pm

A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

danpio

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Did we expect any less when Congress formed the TSA as a government agency? A unionized one at that. Double worse! Has anything efficient or good ever come from a gov't agency? Nope!
I'd kill everyone in this room for one drop of sweet, sweet beer.- Homer J. Simpson

Boeing7E7

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:12 pm

Well there's a shock.

Not.

as739x

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:59 pm

Can I have my Tax refund now?

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

cvg2lga

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:03 pm

< Did we expect any less when Congress formed the TSA as a government agency? A unionized one at that. Double worse! Has anything efficient or good ever come from a gov't agency? Nope! >

i say it all the time, and ill say it again, if you think you can do a better job then why arent you? plenty good has come from government agencies, you perhaps are to jaded to see it though. look at the secret service for all the times they have fumbled, a hundred times over they have prevailed. but i digress, the tsa is NOT unionized! certainly not, we were told at CVG that if we had any type of union material on us while at work we could be terminated. so dont know where you got that info, but its wrong. sry.

tchau
DA
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

ANCFlyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:11 am

Quoting CVG2LGA (Reply 12):
i say it all the time, and ill say it again, if you think you can do a better job then why arent you?

Because I ahve a real job, doing real things, making a real difference . . .

Next question?

TSA has been blasted three times in a week . . . even by their own auditors . . . I know you work for TSA . . . you'd said so in other posts.

While I'm sure you are NOT personally to blame, and would never condemn you for the trouble of your agency, I can assure you, collectively, with few exceptions - your agency is frowned upon by everyone I know. I personally think the TSA an enormous waste of money and resources and - as your own auditors have said - we are no better off than we were 9/10/01.

When I count 39 TSA idiots standing at ANC at 1130 on a weekday with two security lanes running I have to ask the question - WTF??? That's only the TIP of the iceberg . . . we won't even get into the $400,00 party, the $500,000 house plants and art works. And I'm not going anywhere near the frisking of grandmothers and three year olds . . . or the tasting of breast milk. . . and the "optional" removal of shoes . . . on and on and on and on and . . . . .

TSA-THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND-USELESS
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Boeing7E7

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:41 am

Quoting CVG2LGA (Reply 12):
the tsa is NOT unionized! certainly not

Yet. The unions are already working on them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos