gener8tion

Pilots And Baseball Caps....

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:17 am

Sup?

Whats with captains wearing baseball caps in the cockpit?? I swear at our airline ONE in every 10 pilots wears one while flying. At first I thought it was cute.....but now have turned to the impression that its not professional any more......I now think it looks stupid......

Jonny
midwestx@wi.rr.com

BWI757

RE: Pilots And Baseball Caps....

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:33 am

Um, layman's guess:

The visor, combined with sunglasses keeps the sun out of their eyes so that they can see where they are going? That way they don't look stupid when they run the aircraft into something?

duck 

BTW my unofficial survey of pictures of waving airline pilots don't show this?

BWI757
I live in the US but my heart is in Jerusalem!

jdwfloyd

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:38 am

They don't put them on until the the cockpit door is closed. I don't see a problem with pilots wearing something that blocks the sun glare of makes wearing headsets more comfortable. If they were wearing them around the terminal there would be a problem, but less the people at the gate looking at them from the gate no one else will see them.

yyz757fan

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:52 am

I don't see a problem with a pilot wearing a ball cap while in the cockpit. I see many pilots putting them on after the doors close. I would not be surprised if some superstitious pilots wear them as a good luck charm while they fly. They do help with the headsets.

silverfox

Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:57 am

I know one BA Concorde pilot did.
I must admit it looked 'not quite right', but he expalined it was dazzle etc

VIflyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:02 pm

I know I do when I'm doing my own flying. My reasoning is that I'm slowly going bald and where my headset naturally rest is right on my balding spot and it get really uncomfortable after a while.
At my company I've only seen a handful of guys that do wear a baseball cap while flying. All of them take it off when the cockpit door is open and ironically all of them are either bald or balding.

Vi
I reject your reality and subsitute my own

RAMPRAT980

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:38 pm

Hey if it helps the pilot to fly better, who cares.........unless of course he/she is chewing tobacco.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

bucky707

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:35 pm

My doctor has recommended I wear a baseball hat to protect my eyes and my face. Good enough for me.

HAWK21M

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:16 pm

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 2):
They don't put them on until the the cockpit door is closed. I don't see a problem with pilots wearing something that blocks the sun glare of makes wearing headsets more comfortable

Agreed totally.As long its a Plus point.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aa777jr

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:01 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mike Ingram

no baseball caps here. I've never seen a comercial pilot even walking around the terminal with a baseball cap. Seems unprofessional. They are always wearing their uniform hat when I see them.

Regards.

note: Is that a deflector shielding sun light from the captains view?
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

ntspelich

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:22 am

Yeah, I mean the only people who see them wearing hats are the other person in the cockpit, any observers, the f/a's if they go up to bring them something to eat/drink and the folks on the ramp when we bring the plane in or push it out. Now, if there was some sort of cockpit cam that showed up on the plane's IFE that would be another story, maybe.
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

Starlionblue

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 9):
note: Is that a deflector shielding sun light from the captains view?

Yes.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ramerinianair

Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:41 am

I hate having anything in my way of seeing! I do not wear anything beside sunglasses. I can't stand having something in the way!
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

CORULEZ05

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:01 am

I have never seen a pilot or co-pilot with a baseball cap. For some reason the only pilots I would expect to see with baseball caps on would be Southwest pilots. To an extent, it is unprofessional but I don't think it intereferes with their ability to fly the plane which is all I care about after all. Btw, are pilots suppose to have perfect 20/20 vision without contacts or glasses? For some reason, I think that is the case but I was watching Airline the other night and the pilot that was going to retire had glasses on the whole time. I know it is off topic but it is kind of related to baseball caps sort of.
Fly jetBlue today!!!!!!!

jdwfloyd

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:08 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 13):

I have never seen a pilot or co-pilot with a baseball cap. For some reason the only pilots I would expect to see with baseball caps on would be Southwest pilots. To an extent, it is unprofessional but I don't think it intereferes with their ability to fly the plane which is all I care about after all. Btw, are pilots suppose to have perfect 20/20 vision without contacts or glasses? For some reason, I think that is the case but I was watching Airline the other night and the pilot that was going to retire had glasses on the whole time.

I have seen everything from 1900 pilots to a 744 capt. wearing baseball caps, also pilots do not need 20/20 uncorrected vision. Plenty of pilots wear glasses.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:09 am

Quoting CORULEZ05 (Reply 13):
are pilots suppose to have perfect 20/20 vision without contacts or glasses? For some reason, I think that is the case

No...20/20 corrected. Most FAA medicals have you read 20/15

Lt-AWACS

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:17 am

as a sidenote, for what it is worth, it is very common in the Air Force to wear ball caps while flying, on many many different large airframes. On the E-3 many folks wear them both frontend and backend. I wore my Texas hat on 15 of 16 combat sorties over Iraq-- we had some yahoo general on board one flight and couldn't LOL. I have friends in B-52s, B-1s, E-8s and KC-135s who do it also. It is pretty common.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Hermano bebe que la vida es breve
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

GMUAirbusA320

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:29 am

Quoting Aa777jr (Reply 9):
Seems unprofessional

AA-What are you thinking?!??!  Smile
I think it looks cool. When I worked for B6, many of the pilots were seen wearing baseball caps. I guess it really depends on the airline. I could see where the legacies it may not fly, but with the new LCC's, it works. Just a thought!

Cheers,
GMUAirbusA320

leamside

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:52 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jack Hannen

Click on the large photo. This crew appears to have been wearing baseball caps.

SkyexRamper

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:27 pm

We've got our fair share of hat wearing pilots. I can say, that from my personal on going experiences of flying, a hat does wonders for those who don't have or wear sunglasses. They also provide a little more cushioning between your head and the headset band which is always a plus. Wearing a baseball style hat has nothing to do with be unprofessional, its a matter of personal preference, and we must not forget that all pilots are normal people too. Everyone has their own personal style that they feel comfortable in. What's next, we'll see a thread about pilots talking on their cell phones while pax are boarding and deplaning. So I'll put that to a rest now, its their only means of staying in contact with their wife, girlfriend, friends or family; you can't expect pilots to give up all their freedoms when they are away from home a lot and "out of the loop" with the rest of the world while they are always in the skies. In all, pilots are people too.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

duke

Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:52 am

I saw a picture of an Adria Airways crew. If I saw correctly, the pilots wore a casualized version of the traditional uniform, with baseball caps and pants in navy and white polo shirts with the correctly marked epaulettes.

futureualpilot

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:04 am

Ive seen them do it before, and my uncle has told me that he wears one when he flies sometimes as well. It doesnt bother me as long as it wont interfere with the pilot's performance while flying.
Life is better when you surf.

malaysia

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:09 am

Nok Air pilots have caps, they got polo shirts with stripes up their sleeves
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

future757

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:36 am

SkyexRamper, I couldn't agree more with your post. I am not a pilot yet, but hope to be in the future, but I drive a lot and I know from experience that a baseball cap makes a world of difference. You would not catch me on a nice sunny day without my baseball cap and sunglasses. I get a headache and get very tired if I don't shield my eyes from the sun. I guess me personally, who cares about being professional, safety first. I'll take a captain with a baseball cap before a tired captain or one with a headache. Just my two cents.

AirRyan

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:48 am

Also, remember pilots are by nature usually very superstitious people and some, as I know for example at least in my case, I liked my trusty T/C Twins cap for good luck if for no other reason.

Also, as mentioned above, there is some un-written tradition of pilots in the military wearing ball caps, and for those that don't have to wear a helmet, I'm all for that, although the thing about saluting might be conflicted since the flight suit is still a military uniform. I think while on the flight deck it's no problem, but off the plane the military cover comes back on, at least in the Marine C-130 squads. Marines are sticklers for removing your headgear indoors even when in civies, while the Navy and Air Force units are good about allowance for such things. I've seen many in both wear all sorts of ball caps and I figure that as long as the cap isn't too terribly ragged, which some seem to think is the in-fashion statement nowadays, I don't see a problem with them.

And then again, from back in my days in small little Cessna trainers, wearing my headset would start wearing on my head and the hat helped cushion it. I had a decent head set, perhaps not near as much as some had, but regardless after awhile I think any headset if worn long enough would begin to rub. That and the protection from the sun which believe it or not offered a noticable reduction in havint to squint even if worn with sunglasses, I just came to regard it as part of my flight bag.

Check out Bat-21 with Glover and Hackman, Danny has got a ballcap on when in his O-2.

airborn757300

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:12 am

It is one thing to wear a baseball cap as a visor to protect the sun and reflections in the cockpit. A couple of months back on a NW DC-9 flight from MSP - GFK the flight crew was wearing baseball caps backwards before the cabin door was closed...kinda looked funny. Oh yea, and this was a 9pm flight, don't ask me why the caps would've been necessary....

Ben

cvg2lga

Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:07 pm

what does it really matter! as long as its a New York Yankees cap. then you know your in good hands. laugh people!

tchau
DA
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:26 pm

Quoting CVG2LGA (Reply 26):
what does it really matter! as long as its a New York Yankees cap. then you know your in good hands.

Captain Hillary Clinton in command of tonight's flight.
7 hours aint long-haul

m404

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:43 pm

My favorites were the guys who still could have fun on the job and would wear the blue and white stripped train engineers cap. Before everything got so damned sanitized and stuffed shirt general office micro beaners began dictating pecker lengths some would even announce their arrivals on the station frequencies with a wooden train whistle.

It was called flavor guys, Not homogeneous air.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

Birdwatching

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:58 pm

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 2):
no one else will see them.

really? how about the terrorists? they will see them!
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

captover

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:03 pm

Everyday I see United's TED pilots walking around the terminals at Dulles with TED Baseball caps. It does kinda look weird with no other pilots doing the same.

MD88Captain

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:27 pm

It is not unprofessional. It is very professional. Anything that inproves your performance is a good thing. And a ball cap helps shield your eyes from glare. That inproves your performance and protects your eyes long-term.