kurt

Boeing's Bunk Beds For All

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:15 am

This looks like an interesting idea. From "The Australian":

US plane-maker Boeing is striking a blow for the common air traveller with a novel proposal to introduce beds for economy-class passengers.

The aerospace giant is talking to airlines about a new version of its successful jumbo jet and a proposal for the installation of bunks in empty space above the passenger cabins.

The company's "sky suites" would offer up to 14 first-class, 24 business-class or 40 economy-class sleeping berths in the overhead space.

Full article here:

Boeing finds room to go flat-out

FriendlySkies

RE: Boeing's Bunk Beds For All

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:18 am

This is an interesting idea...and would make it that much more competitive with the A380 I suppose. But airlines might try to sell just the berths, which could become a problem...

ktliem@YVR

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:23 am

I remember Boeing proposed the same thing for their first version of the 747 advanced. Nothing new here.

I think the timing of the article is more important that the content. It has all to do with distracting the public from news about the A380.

concentriq

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:28 am

The original TU-104 had bunk beds instead of seats: 4 in the suite (kinda like on the train's sleeper cabin: 2 upper & 2 lower). Might be wrong, but I do recall seeing a picture somewhere and my father, who flew in one, telling me.
Mobilis In Mobili

fbgdavidson

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:32 am

Can you say Boeing 377?

Why would First and Business need beds? The majority of seats if they don't already, will soon be flat beds..

I did once wonder why Y class seating wasn't replaced with Japanese style booths stacked floor to ceiling.....a lot of wasted air space in Y cabin.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

atmx2000

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:33 am

Would these beds have seat belts or other restraints? Otherwise it would seem that it could potentially increase airline and manufacturer liability if a passenger gets injured during turbulance.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

redflyer

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:09 am

Interesting but I agree with ktliem@yvr. It's the timing, not the substance, that is important here.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos