avroarrow

BUF And CO Attitude To Photography

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:35 am

Hello everyone. I'll be doing a CO hop from BUF to CLE and on to LAS this Sunday. I'm going down with the GF and bringing my parents as well. My Dad hasn't been on an airliner since the BOAC 707 that brought him to Canada back in 1965. (Hard to believe for a man who is an aviation nut and has a PPL, but I digress.) Understandably he would LOVE to take some video and photos in flight and on approach also from the terminal. Since I have never flown from BUF or on CO before, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows if this would be a problem in general. We will of course be certain to ask in flight anyway, I just want a bit of reassurance that asking the question won't get us promptly removed from the plane and "interviewed" by friendly federal employees. Also given what I have read on here before about spotting near BUF, we won't try any photos outside of the terminal since I don't want to spend my Vegas vacation in a holding cell.
Thanks in advance.
Ed
(P.S. I did post this in Photography first, but after 2 days only got one response, so I figured I'd try here too.)
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

CALMSP

RE: BUF And CO Attitude To Photography

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:38 am

you shouldn't have any problem.....we have people taking pictures all the time.....probably best advice is to not take any pics of cockpit or aisle ways on plane if you can.....

UAalltheway

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:43 am

You shouldn't have any problem at all.. but just incase try to avoid taking pics when F/As are looking right at you- try to do it with discreet. Usually it's AA that has the huge problem with cameras onboard. the asses!

zrb2

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:36 am

You should have no problem taking pics in the BUF airport. I've done it many times. Actually, the CO gates are right at the far northeast end of the terminal and there's a nice wide open pane of glass that looks in the direction of the runway 23 end. If they are landing on 23 you can see the planes coming in and touching down. You can see the takeoff roll but you will miss them getting airborn. Have fun.

avroarrow

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:54 am

Thanks for the input guys. Good to know that BUF should be friendly inside at least. Just snagged the April Airliner World with the BUF article in it, so I'm all set.  Smile
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

optionscle

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:25 am

If you're connecting to from BUF to LAS in CLE you'll most likely come into the D Concourse and have to walk to C. If your connection time allows it, have your father take a walk over to the B Concourse where United, Southwest and Delta depart from. If you walk almost all the way to the end (right before the Southwest gates) and keep an eye out on the left you'll see an elevator. That brings you up to the observation deck (the inside is still open as far as I know - I was just up there a few months ago). He should be able to get good shots of planes landing if they're using the 24's. Have a great trip!

-Andrew

delta-flyer

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:18 am

You should be aware that CO does not allow use of cameras inside the cabin from the time doors close until 10,000 feet, and similarly on descent and approach. I was told that in no uncertain terms on a recent flight by a F/A. It's also in their printed rules in their in-flight magazine.

I have not seen this rule on other airlines.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

IAHTowTeam

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:12 am

CO is a great airline. You'll be fine!!! Have fun and enjoy your trip!

jetpixx

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:19 am

I recently flew on Chautauqua and took some photos which you can see on my personal website (see profile). I also took a video after landing aboard a Comair flight from CAK-CVG. If you do it quickly and do not act suspicious, I think there is still room.

Take care and enjoy your flight....DAN