Topic Author

Problems In Belize

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:59 am

US Airways has cancelled today's US 1141 CLT-BZE and US 1140 BZE-CLT and issued the following bulletin, due to the continuing telecommunications problems in Belize. I believe AA has also cancelled some BZE flights.

Operations Alert for Passengers Traveling to and from Belize

Due to circumstances in Belize, US Airways has relaxed its travel policies for passengers whose travel may be affected. For the latest flight details, please check your flight and gate information. These re-accommodation procedures are available to passengers ticketed from April 21-24 2005.

Re-accommodation Procedure
For flights originally scheduled for this time period, US Airways will waive the standard change fee, advance reservation or ticketing requirements. The entire itinerary can be moved forward or delayed, up to fourteen days from the scheduled origination date. The length of the trip cannot be changed. Full value of wholly unused tickets can be applied toward the purchase of a ticket to an alternate destination, with travel to originate within seven days of the scheduled origination date.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

RE: Problems In Belize

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:07 am

there is a civil uprising in Belize.... it occured last night and supposively the Brits were able to get them under control....

probably not a bad time to get comfy with London....

But yes, communication lines are down, including Sabre. USAir is sending a few satellite phones to BZE to assist in communications with the employees & passengers affected.

~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:13 am

Here is what happened:

I'm not sure that I'd call it a civil uprising" - more like an extremely aggressive "industrial action".

aeternum nauta

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:29 am

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is reporting that there are large street demonstrations, as the opposition tries to force new elections. Electricity and telephone systems have been sabotaged - apparently they're both political issues.

Didn't see anything on Continental or American's websites.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:58 pm

US 1141 is leaving for BZE right now - left the gate at 9:31.
US 1140 shows as running today.

Channel 5 is reporting looting in downtown Belize City yesterday, as political protesting turned violent. Nothing on the news to suggest the violence is aimed at tourists.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:29 am

Belize is a very small and very rural country...even Belize City is pretty small (it only has 5 stoplights) so anykind of uprising were certainly affect the tourists even if they are not a direct target.