goCOgo

The TSA Has Gone Too Far (funny, But Sad)

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:03 pm

"Two traveling penguins from Seaworld in San Diego went through regular airport screening at Denver International Airport recently. Here, Pat and Penny are removed from their carry-on case so they can walk through the metal detector."

See the pics (slide show).

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/slideshow/news/4402056/detail.html

[Edited 2005-04-22 05:04:58]
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

Fly2HMO

RE: The TSA Has Gone Too Far (funny, But Sad)

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:13 pm

They're racists toward penguins!!!The other day I was at PHX and they didn't even bother to check a fat bulldog!!! And I bet they suffered from sexual harassment too when they patted them down!!!

Seriously, how much of a threat can penguins be? (other than guano of course)  Big grin

NIKV69

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 pm

Sounds a bit harsh but they cleared security and where on their way. Penguins are so cool. That little boy got to pet one!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

airportugal310

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:25 pm

I agree. Penguins are the coolest little things in the world. Im so jealous of that kid.

At the Boston Aquarium they have them, but you cant pet them  Sad
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

ANCFlyer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:27 pm

Absolutely ridiculous.

Goddamn TSA is so ridiculous.

FYI - I arrived ANC at 1705 tonight. My TSA Loser Count for the today:

11 TSA Agents, 3 Airport Police, 2 Argenbright idiots: ONE, count em, ONE security lane open at B/C Concourse. Yup I said ELEVEN TSA idiots for one machine . . .

TSA=THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND=LOSERS
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Stealthz

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:29 pm

Thinking about it.... makes some kind of sense.
Allows their container to be Xrayed without any risk to our little feathered friends

rgds

Chris
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

F9Widebody

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:32 pm

Eh. I don't really think it's a big deal. I guess they were not traveling below, so they had to go through security with those carrying them. I suspect the handlers didn't want them going through the X Ray machine in their cage/box/container, so they just walked them through.
YES URLS in signature!!!

DLKAPA

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:36 pm

Man if one of those things got loose..... We'd have to get Alex to catch one...
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ETStar

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:42 pm

OMG! How could the TSA let them through and board an aircraft?!?! Aren't their beaks so pointy and somewhat sharp that they could be used as terrorism tools?!?!?! I hope Bin Laden is not watching this thread!  Wow!  eyepopping 

ual747den

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:53 pm

Since there was a news camera there im sure they had planned to do this and did it just for the photo op. No big deal, kinda cute little things!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

NASCARAirforce

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:57 pm

Those Penguins must be 80 years old, I figure that would be the only way they would get searched.

ANCFlyer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:11 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 10):
Those Penguins must be 80 years old, I figure that would be the only way they would get searched.

And still being Breast Fed???? Likely . . . .

TSA=THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND=LOSERS
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NASCARAirforce

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:40 pm

I think it would have been really great if one of those penguins (or better yet both) took a dump right on the floor, perhaps on a Thousands Standing Around idiot's shoe.

trevd

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:29 pm

Hey, are those knitting needles I see there in Penny's carry-on bag ??

lincoln

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:38 pm

Hey, at least they didn't require government issued Photo ID and a boarding pass before letting both of them through...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

olympicbis

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:20 pm

Might be a good idea to replace those TSA morons with penguins. Not only are penguins far mor intelligent and probably more efficient, but on top they are friendly.

777ER
Crew

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:00 pm

TSA boss to TSA employee

"employee, we Have had a report that two penguins that are a possible security threat are going to be boarding an aircraft at DEN, in security interests they need to be screene, without any exceptions".

Quoting ETStar (Reply 8):
OMG! How could the TSA let them through and board an aircraft?!?! Aren't their beaks so pointy and somewhat sharp that they could be used as terrorism tools?!?!?! I hope Bin Laden is not watching this thread!

Thats a good one
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

jmacias34

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:21 pm

The terrorists won...

manu

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Quoting Olympicbis (Reply 15):
Might be a good idea to replace TSA with penguins. Not only are penguins far mor intelligent and probably more efficient, but on top they are friendly

And they wear a tuxedo to work!

qxq400

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:32 pm

Quoting Jmacias34 (Reply 17):
The terrorists won...

The sad truth is your right the terroist did win. We now have got to screen traveling animals for Sea World.  crying 

What ever happened to common sence. Oh yea the TSA is a government agency= there is no common sense.  irked 
Welcome baby Madison Renee

aa777flyer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:21 pm

...about the TSA...My signature says it all...
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

JMV

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:26 pm

The TSA was created by the government, both the Executive Branch and CONGRESS, that we in the US elected to office. Just remember this the next time you go to vote, or consider not voting.
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

exFATboy

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:44 pm

Nah, I'm not blaming the TSA for this one. UAL747DEN's right, the fact that there was a film crew just standing by - and that the handler put them down to walk through rather than just carrying them through - screams "publicity stunt!"

The penguins were handled just like any other pet under the TSA regs. I like to rag on the TSA's ineptness as much as the next guy, but they did nothing wrong here.

And yes, I love penguins too. Who doesn't?

Boeing Nut

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:56 pm

I'm almost afraid to hear what the next asinine thing is that the soon to be dead TSA will do.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Boeing7E7

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:28 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
11 TSA Agents, 3 Airport Police, 2 Argenbright idiots: ONE, count em, ONE security lane open at B/C Concourse. Yup I said ELEVEN TSA idiots for one machine . . .

Missed a flight by 5 minutes on the day before Thanksgiving two years ago because of this. We stood in the checkin line for an hour and then the Security line for 50 minutes, then got strip searched taking another 10. There were only 10 people ahead of us and one lane open. Man I was pissed. About the same number of people standing around with their thumbs up their ass.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:45 pm

Come on now, you know if they exempted the penguins, then some people would complain  duck  Besides, it was a good photo op/PR stunt for the TSA and the penguins. I know many of us here have a obscene hatred for the TSA's day to day beheavor and incompentance (as recent studies suggest), but lighten up a little.  biggrin 

ContinentalFan

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:59 pm

Gotta make sure they're not suicide penguins, or have frickin' lasers on their heads.  Wink

vsmike

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:23 am

TSA are retards.
Everybody knows that by now.
 bomb 
Skyteam. Caring More About Me.

AMSSpotter

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:27 am

GoCOgo,

thanks for posting this link! I've laughed my head off. TSA have taken screening to a whole new level.

Let's give TSA the benefit of the doubt, supposing they did this to prevent the poor pinguins from having to endure the much higher radiation levels of the carry-on x-ray machine.

smcmac32msn

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:30 am

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend by the name of Common Sense.

Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure at the beginning of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic
red tape. He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories, helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness. For decades petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense.

He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial
policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second. A veteran of
the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language, and "new math."

But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned, but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became
ruled by self-seeking lawyers. His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only
worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, Churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than their victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in
everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, and was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic, but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations, such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Nevertheless, he will be sorely missed.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

A319114

Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:31 am

I thought people aren't allowed to take pictures at security check points  Smile
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

TVCFlyer

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:27 am

Some people are always looking for a way to bash the TSA, even though there's more important things to bitch about.

Get over it!

Skyguy

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:37 am

TSA is a joke. It will be no surprise to hear sometime in the future that it's being overhauled and some other agency being brought in to oversee it.
The key problem is lack of consistency in security policies applied, this seems to differ from airport to airport and from one TSA agent to the next.

The other problem is the sheer lack of quality of people they hire. It appears that the TSA look for the dumbest people around to brainwash and 'train' and then put them in charge of security. The number of TSA agents that I have come accross who clearly lack intelligence is staggering. At the end of the day, what can one expect, if TSA can only pay peanuts in salary then they're going to get monkeys to do the job.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

JMV

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:40 am

TVCFlyer, who's looking for ways? The TSA presents ways on silver platters. Although this was a photo op, it points out the lunacy around airport security.

This is not the thread for it, but suffice it to say, I'll never get over government and government agency incompetence and excesses.
Google begins where my brain ends! ©

Greyhound

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:43 am

Those TSA agents might have seen Batman too much.... They're going after the Penguin - the wrong one(s) though.
29th, Let's Go!

goCOgo

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:49 am

I didn't start this thread to bash the TSA. I just thought it was funny, but stupid that the penguins had to WALK through the metal detectors. I would hardly consider zoo animals "pets" and just thought they should have been hand inspected. At least something good came out of it as a lucky young traveler got to pet one of them.

I would say one of the screeners must have seen the "Madagascar" trailer and realized how devious penguins could be.  Silly

Quoting AMSSpotter (Reply 28):
GoCOgo,

thanks for posting this link! I've laughed my head off.

Your welcome.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

Boeing7E7

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:49 am

Quoting TVCFlyer (Reply 31):
Some people are always looking for a way to bash the TSA, even though there's more important things to bitch about.

Get over it!

But they give us so many reasons to bash them. Namely incompetence. Face it, if you knew what you were actually doing in this business, why would you want to work for the TSA? Think about that for a second or two. Furthermore, have you not noticed the clone personalities... Perhaps it's because of a profile screening process that eliminates independent thinkers in favor of clones who can only follow directions rather than use common sense and logic to resolve complex issues? My worst encounter with them was on the job. Five people couldn't make a decision on a terminal dump after a checkpoint breach so I made it for them. They then referred to me as rude and out of line. I'm sorry...I must have been completely ignorant of the circumstances. First bump of the day, 2,000 people in line trying to get to 15 flights and they want to have a 20 minute discussion over what to do? No thanks. You can regulate, but when the shit hits the fan, get the hell out of the way. Having the TSA run security would be like having the FAA run the airlines like they've managed the transition to a supposedly "more efficient" ATC system. I'm sure one can imagine the disaster that would be, as if things aren't bad enough.

apcaz8

Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:57 am

For all you bashing the TSA lets turn it around and bash passengers. The job TSA has is not easy let alone when you have thousands of passengers that think you know everything about the job and how to carry out that job. There are proper procedures to be followed in animal screening along with how much staff is needed at each lane. There are a lot of quality people out there that work for TSA and few that are not. That is with any job. For once I would like to see a topic about how TSA did a good job because there are actually 10-1 compliments to complaints nation wide yet it takes almost double the compliments to mend one complaint. So for all you making the one liners about thousands standing around or how to check for knitting needle stop whining and until you do the job or realize you dont know procedures or how things are suppose to be done, don't complain, read signs about what is needed to be done to speed up the checkpoint process and get on your flight.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:00 am

All you TSA bashers!

Can you remember how security was before 9-11? If you weren't part of an airport entity, you won't know "how it was". So perhaps you should look at the positive side of the balance sheet and realize that the freedom to fly has been made much safer than before. Perhaps some of you grammatically challenged wizards could learn something from this:

"Passenger screening. Things are 1,000 percent better than the pre-Transportation Security Administration days when a cats-and-dogs collection of private "security" companies pretended to provide passenger screening. TSA may not be perfect, but it struggles hard to train courteous, consistent and vigilant agents, and they deserve our support. The TSA's Web site is a good source of information, but actually talking to TSA personnel at any airport is even better. They'll be delighted to help you fine-tune your own personal approach and procedures so you scoot through with minimal disruption every time."
John J. Nance, ABC News Aviation Analyst and a veteran 13,000-flight-hour airline captain. 4/5/2005.
wildcat one

ANCFlyer

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:09 am

Quoting Apcaz8 (Reply 37):
there are actually 10-1 compliments to complaints nation wide yet it takes almost double the compliments to mend one complaint

Source Please?!

There are a lot of quality people out there that work for TSA and few that are not.

Disagree - naturally. Most of the employees at TSA are the same that worked for Argenbright or any of the other organizations pre-9/11. I do NOT dispute that there are good people working at TSA - I profess that they are grossly overshadowed by the inept, incompetent management at TSA; obscure policies and directive; utter and complete lack of common sense; and loss of perspective on why they exist.

So for all you making the one liners about thousands standing around or how to check for knitting needle stop whining

Please see my reply #4, this thread on the "body count" of TSA widgets at B/C checkpoint at ANC yesterday. Tell me that's not overkill.

As for the knitting needle, you forgot to mention other things - like the hand wanding of grandma (there's an excellent picture of this in another thread, go look for it), the tasting of breast milk by a nursing mother; the "we recommend you take off your shoes" bullshit (when you do not you're guaranteed to go to secondary screening; laptops out of the case (why are we the only country doing this???); no lighters (I know, TSA is only following a directive, not their call on this one).

Oh, and lastly, the THREE, count them - three - reports issued in the last 10 days citing all sorts of issues from $400,000 parties to $150,000 in artwork, to workout centers with towel service, to inability of screeners to find weapons and other banned items . . .

Shall I go on???

TSA=THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND=USELESS

Greyhound

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:17 am

For all you bashing the TSA lets turn it around and bash passengers

Why do that? I think the majority of people who have some problem with TSA don't have their problems with the individuals doing the screening (at least I don't). Their problem may reside in the 'upper management', that dictate what the TSA agents are supposed to be doing. The ones who come up with the policies. I don't believe any TSA agent I've ever come across actually enjoys making people take their shoes off, patting them down, or digging through personal items. But somewhere in between the terrorist knotheads and the yahoos that decide how security is going to be at the airports has made things the way they are. Given that TSA agents are there to do their jobs, however unappealing, boring and repetitive their jobs may be, I think they do a fair to good job with the training that they've been given. It really isin't their job to pick and choose who they do what to... they can't discriminate, and they can't seriously use some personal litmus test of theirs to decide who or what deserves to pass through security. Not trying to yell at you, Apcaz, just ranting and raving.

Quoting 094147 (Reply 38):
Can you remember how security was before 9-11? If you weren't part of an airport entity, you won't know "how it was". So perhaps you should look at the positive side of the balance sheet and realize that the freedom to fly has been made much safer than before.

This is a little off-topic, so I'll make it short. Standing security is PART of my job (even if it isin't at an airport), and I do remember what it was like pre/post 9-11. I can't stand the mundane car searches I had to do on high ranking officers and enlisted men that I know and who stand about 0% chance of being the next OBL. Pretty retarded, but everyone knew why things had to be done that way.
29th, Let's Go!

twincommander

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:21 am

Can you remember how security was before 9-11? If you weren't part of an airport entity, you won't know "how it was". So perhaps you should look at the positive side of the balance sheet and realize that the freedom to fly has been made much safer than before. Perhaps some of you grammatically challenged wizards could learn something from this:

And do you know how it is now? If you are wearing loose clothing and flip flops you are still subjected to a rigorous search because in their mind, EVERYONE is a terrorist until proven innocent.

So much for due process.

exFATboy

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:29 am

Quoting AMSSpotter (Reply 28):
Let's give TSA the benefit of the doubt, supposing they did this to prevent the poor pinguins from having to endure the much higher radiation levels of the carry-on x-ray machine.

Actually, the TSA policy says they will never x-ray pets.

And AFAIK the policy about cabin animals having to pass through the metal detector pre-dates TSA by years.

So come on, people, stop with the TSA-bashing already, at least on this incident. They did nothing wrong.

teamregal

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:36 am

smcmac32msn,

Interesting post...very funny and witty.  thumbsup 

REGAL
You would dare to challenge me? .........Insanity!

Skyguy

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:44 am

Apcaz8: You obviously work for the TSA or have no concept of reality on the ground at airports or have never seen how competent, efficient and equally effective overseas airport security agencies run their show.
It may be a difficult fact for you to digest but the TSA is not the holy grail of airport security screeners. It may be a shock for you to learn that there are other government agencies around the world who do a far better job on the whole than the TSA, these include Japan, Australia, Germany, Austria, Denmark etc. etc.

The TSA lacks suffient numbers of COMPETENT and INTELLIGENT people.

What can you expect when you hire an out-of-work truck driver, a part-time babysitter and an ex-parking lot attendant to do the job? They can only do what their brain tells them and that surely is not much if their career aspirations and ambitions end at being a TSA agent (a cushy government job with little risk of being fired or laid-off) and being able to pay their rent. The very nature of the job that TSA people have to do makes only the ordinarily unemployable take jobs with them.

So, Apcaz8, chew on this and get acquainted with reality, the theory and the actual practice of TSA doctrine is two different things.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

Boeing7E7

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:47 am

Can you remember how security was before 9-11? If you weren't part of an airport entity, you won't know "how it was". So perhaps you should look at the positive side of the balance sheet and realize that the freedom to fly has been made much safer than before

Yeah, I can. The funny thing is.... It's not the people or the pay that has made the difference, it's the equipment implementation, policies and procedures that have. Something the Airports and Airlines asked for in 1999 but were told to stuff it.

Next question from an under achieving TSA employee who's about to lose their job to a private contractor????

By the way, there's nothing better than some TSA jackoff who should be focusing on checkpoint screening calling me on the phone when I'm handling a non-security related aircraft incident because they think they need to know every damn thing that's going on in the airport. Their job is screening pax and baggage. Nothing more, nothing less - but they are completely unabel to understand that fact. Not to mention this totalitarian asshoel attitude portrayed by the supervisors. You don't know shit about aviation and never will, best leave it to the pros. Stay the hell out of day to day management, it's none of your damn business.

[Edited 2005-04-22 19:55:44]

FlyMeToTheMoon

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:49 am

Did they make them remove their shoes? And those fancy black and white coat-tail jackets? I would not be surprised considering how "bright" TSA is.
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

norcal

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:56 am

Quoting Aa777flyer (Reply 20):
...about the TSA...My signature says it all...

haha.....that is some funny sh*t. Next, they'll be in competition with the DMV

Boeing7E7

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:57 am

Quoting Skyguy (Reply 44):
So, Apcaz8, chew on this and get acquainted with reality, the theory and the actual practice of TSA doctrine is two different things.

But.. But... But... He's so important in his white shirt and tie and shoulder boards. He's like a pilot you know and don't forget... Heeee runs the airport.

stlgph

Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:57 am

now now kiddies, remember in the movie Batman Returns, all of those cute little penguins had missles strapped to the back of them. so yes, even a penguin could carry off a suicide bombing mission.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport