COIAHLGW
Topic Author

Ryanair - Another Cost Cutting Measure!

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 pm

I just stumbled upon the following article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...2dare%2dpower%2dmad-name_page.html

Can FR squeeze any *more* cost savings?  Smile Cutting mobile phone chargers in the office - that's a winner!  bigthumbsup 

mika

RE: Ryanair - Another Cost Cutting Measure!

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:39 pm

A Ryanair spokeswoman said: "We do not think that using a mobile phone charger in the workplace is acceptable.

"The cost may not be expensive, but every penny saved counts."

I wonder if MoL and that spokeswoman are as cheap with themselves and their families. Man those are some dull people! C'mon, have a beer, lighten up and relax. The bloody company is making huge profits already!

Someone took cost cutting a step too damn far.

mika

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:42 pm

I'm seriously considering to personally boycott this airline sometimes soon, they are just going too far with this. They seem to treat their employees like dogs!

That and i am also looking for an excuse to shell out twice the fare to fly on LH instead! 

[Edited 2005-04-22 07:43:08]

jafa39

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:50 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 1):
but every penny saved counts."

And that is about how much they will save, a f****g penny..tightwads!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

lehovec

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:01 pm

But this is really incredible. Employees are ones I feel sorry for. Not only they treat their FA's like shit but now this... What will be next, no seats in the planes, parachutes to save on landing fees...?!

Probably most of you know about this site but anyhow.. Check this out:
http://www.ryan-be-fair.org

musapapaya

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:02 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous!

I would like to propose to our fellow members not to fly on them if possible! Fly something else, like easyjet or Germanwings!

Thank you!
Lufthansa Group of Airlines

mika

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:19 pm

Easyjet are by the way 10 times a better airline than Ryanair ever was. They fly to major airports for roughly the same fares and even if there sometimes is a difference it tends to be worth it.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that Easy now have passed Ryanair in terms of flown passengers? I heard last week that Easyjet now is europes biggest LCC, i dont remember what the time frame was for that measurement though. Go Easy in any case!

mrniji

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:21 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 2):
I'm seriously considering to personally boycott this airline sometimes soon, they are just going too far with this. They seem to treat their employees like dogs!

Welcome! I am already doing so!

Quoting Mika (Reply 2):
That and i am also looking for an excuse to shell out twice the fare to fly on LH instead!

The funny thing is, taking all costs (transport from the middle of nowhere etc), LH (at least FRA-LHR) often comes cheaper...
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

SHUPirate1

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:22 pm

I think it will cost them more to pay the person to cut all of those phone chargers than it will save them in electricity bills. This is just absurd.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:52 pm

Thankfully, there has always been a better alternative for my travel plans than flying with Ryanair. If you take all factors into account (cost and travel time of ground transportation to and from the airports, reliability in case something goes wrong, service on board and on the ground etc.) they just don't offer anything attractive except for their in-your-face cheapness (in every sense of the word).

Good to know that we have plenty of higher quality LCC in my home state with Germanwings, HLX, Air Berlin and EasyJet having hubs within less than 1 hour driving time from my hometown.

[Edited 2005-04-22 09:02:51]
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

olympicbis

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Ryanair does not deserve to be called an airline.

L410Turbolet

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:28 pm

I'm only waiting for you-know-who to post some arguments to defend this outright stupidity.

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:30 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 11):
I'm only waiting for you-know-who to post some arguments to defend this outright stupidity.

It's alright, L410 - you can say his name (he's not V-o-l-d-e-m-o-r-t !). Come on James, let's hear the bizarre, other-worldy rationalisation for this latest FR lunacy...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:59 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 12):
Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 11):

It's alright, L410 - you can say his name (he's not V-o-l-d-e-m-o-r-t !). Come on James, let's hear the bizarre, other-worldy rationalisation for this latest FR lunacy...

He's a student. Its before 9am on a monday morning.

Unlike us hard working taxpayers JGP, he won't be out of bed until about lunchtime - No doubt we'll hear his views sometime this afternoon  

[Edited 2005-04-22 09:59:53]
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

lehovec

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:43 pm

Does Pe@rson work for FR (I am new so I don't know)... Because otherwise I really can't understand how somebody can defend this "airline" as he does...

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:44 pm

Quoting Lehovec (Reply 14):
Does Pe@rson work for FR (I am new so I don't know)...

No he doesn't work (at all, on anything ! He is an idle layabout  Smile ). We suspect that he is Michael O'Leary's secret love-child.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:46 pm

Lehovec, there are different kinds of "geekness" on this board, and "airline cheerleading" is just one of them. Big grin

Honestly I can't understand, how someone can identify so much with an airline if he is not working for them; after all one should always look for the best value for money when making a purchase, and not become a blind follower of a brand name.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

mrniji

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:49 pm

P E @ R S O N!!!

WAKE UP from your hangover! We need your inputs!  bigthumbsup 

Maybe he was the spokeswoman referred to in the text
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

L410Turbolet

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Quoting Lehovec (Reply 14):
Does Pe@rson work for FR (I am new so I don't know)... Because otherwise I really can't understand how somebody can defend this "airline" as he does...

Welcome, to a.net!!! We have certain members here who will defend one airline in every thread devoted to it, one politician no matter what he does or says, political party no matter how stupid their policies may be, certain religion regardless of facts, etc. You'll see.

flybeq400

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:54 pm

The time it takes to write a memo, comment to media about it, for staff to discuss issue and lost goodwill will generate costs which far exceed the money savings. Heaven forbid they find someone making a cuppa with a kettle! FR normally shows savvy and business sense; but not on this one.

On the other hand the source is the Mirror, well known for inaccurate drivel.

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:56 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 17):
We need your inputs!

No we don't ! We just enjoy a good laugh, and the opportunity to mock him mercilessly for his deranged opinions (at least I do !).

mrniji

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:58 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 20):
No we don't ! We just enjoy a good laugh, and the opportunity to mock him mercilessly for his deranged opinions (at least I do !).

I know, old man... same here...  Wink

cornish

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:10 pm

Quoting Mrniji (Reply 21):
Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 20):

I know, old man... same here...

Me too. That's why I'm here Big grin
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:12 pm

Maybe he got stuck somewhere in the boondocks because his Ryanair flight was cancelled without rebooking and he is now desperately trying to hitch a ride back home. Big grin

mrniji

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:21 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 23):
Maybe he got stuck somewhere in the boondocks because his Ryanair flight was cancelled without rebooking and he is now desperately trying to hitch a ride back home.

I rather suspect him lying drunk in the corner of his girlfriend-familiy-friends- grandmothers' house Big grin

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:28 pm

Oh now I see the grand plan behind our resident Ryanair cheerleader's pro-FR actions: he'd rather accept to be abused on a Ryanair flight in order to save a few  twocents  than have less dough to spend on booze.  drunk 

Those students...

godbless

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:39 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 2):
I'm seriously considering to personally boycott this airline sometimes soon

I have been doing so for quite a while already. Too bad I cannot use Tristar's statement anymore since I moved away from the German LCC-paradise...

Max

glidepath73

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:40 pm

I think it's time to check out if FR is really acting as all the standards tell, like:
ICAO, FAA, EASA, Europe Union regulations.
I don't know if they really do their business as they should.

I heard a lot of passenger complaints, regarding how FR treat passengers if something is not running as it should. They just don't really care about passengers.

Regards,
Patrick
Aviation! That rocks...

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:48 pm

Hey Max, you could still do what all Ryanair passengers do, i.e. drive hundreds of kilometers to some remote airfield (in your case FKB or FDH), spend dozens of Euros for ground transportation and waste many hours and lots of life energy for the travel time just to save ten Euros on the fare for a flight to an airport, which isn't even close to your destination.  Wink

... or you could just fly from STR, pay a few Euros more for the airfare, but save lots of money, time and energy on the ground part of your journey - and you would even be sure that you don't get treated like dog-poo in case something goes wrong with your flight.

9A-CRO
Crew

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:18 pm

Quoting FlyBeQ400 (Reply 19):
The time it takes to write a memo, comment to media about it, for staff to discuss issue and lost goodwill will generate costs which far exceed the money savings

I wonder if employees are required to cover printinvg costs of memo
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:09 pm

I am fully entitled to believe whatever I want to believe. The same goes for you.

In my opinion, Ryanair is a phenomenally good airline. I especially believe this because it is very efficient. Having created and run two small but profitable businesses (am developing a night-out-based one for September), I am all too aware how essential it is to drive down costs and thereby increase your profit margin and hopefully the amount of profit you will earn. People are in business to earn money – not for fun. Accordingly, it seems obvious, in my mind at least, to do whatever you can to help increase what you earn. It is one thing to say that you are going to be cost-effective but quite another to have the vision and the determination to do it. You need the killer instinct. Hence my fascination with such a brilliant cost-saving airline.

An aspect of its operation which I am not happy with is its relationships with its stakeholders. This could, as with virtually all businesses, be improved. It is, in my view, essential to have very good relationships with all stakeholders, which does not, in fact, need to be costly. Over time, the costs incurred as a result of developing such relationships will be offset by the consequential rewards, for instance more motivated and productive staff; more flexible suppliers, who might be willing to give discounts; retained customers and new customers; and so forth.

I couldn’t careless whether you think I’m sad, mad or whatever else, for I am fully entitled to believe whatever I want to believe and I will do precisely that. The same goes for you. Wouldn’t it be a boring world if we all held the same, or essentially identical, views? I certainly think it would be.

So you continue to believe what you believe and I will continue to believe what I believe. You won’t ever change my mind so don’t bother trying
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:12 pm

Fair enough. No one forces you to use a superior product instead. Big grin

JGPH1A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:14 pm

See, I told you it would be deranged and other-worldly ! Big grin

Just kidding ! You are right about the attitude towards all stakeholders being essential - so far FR's attitude to all stakeholders (customers, employees, suppliers and partners) seems to be one of universal loathing and disdain (so I guess at least they're consistent  Smile )

lehovec

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:15 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 30):
So you continue to believe what you believe and I will continue to believe what I believe. You won’t ever change my mind so don’t bother trying

OK, a lot of what do you think... but come on... Cutting costs is one thing and making fool out of yourself is something completely different...

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:16 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 31):
No one forces you to use a superior product instead.

Damn, flying KLM in June. Again. Flown BA quite a few times, not to mention DL, UL, BD........ Dear God!  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

UpperDeck79

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:19 pm

I'm so glad they don't fly out of HEL so I never have to use them. ;D
AY and ANA rock!

LN-MOW

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:24 pm

Charging of cellphone in the office .... 5p
Drafting a memo to forbid it .... 50p
Wasting time to enforce it ..... 50 pounds
Watching Mo'L go bonkers ... FREE!

For everything else, there's MasterCard!

(This message was sponsored by easyJet)

silly 
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

jr

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:29 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 2):

I know a bunch of people who already do. Easy jet seems like a much better option with a less uptight attitude toward the concept of "service". Ryan Air does not seem to care about treating people with dignity anymore, and this will eventually bite them in the behind in some way or the other.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

luv2fly

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:31 pm

LN-MOW

I was just thinking the same thing, way to funny!

What is the expression, "penny wise and dollar foolish!"
You can cut the irony with a knife

cornish

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:32 pm

Ah ha. so I see you've finally got yourself out of bed then Pe@rson. About time too, young layabout  Wink

To be honest I can't fault FR's business model in so many ways. They do what they do very well and serve their targeted market very well. and they make some serious money. So while some of us may not like their style (or lack of it  Wink ), product and way of conducting business - and I'll be the first to admit I'm one of those people - we cannot deny the fact that it works.

Admittedly labour issues such as these are much easier with a non-unionised workforce, which means the management can do pretty much what it likes within the current law - if staff don't like it then they probably feel they still have a queue of people who want to come and work in their place. Perhaps in the US, where unions are much stronger, such a situation could force an airline to its knees where the workforce rebels - but I can't see it happening at Ryanair. Ryanair is only really at risk should it have an accident that the press then turns into a major issue with the airline (a la Valujet) causing large numbers of people to avoid flying with them.

Having said all that, I think banning this really sucks and I for one would not want to work for them.

mika

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Pearson,

Amen, you are fully entitled to your oppinion as much as anyone else here. However, when you talk about profit margin and cost cutting, there is a difference between doing what needs to be done in order to keep a corporation alive and above the water and "ovedo" it when it is not called for for the survival of the company. And even then banning the use of cell phone chargers is by any standards ridiculous, i can not understand how anyone can defend it.

I do believe somewhere that this might be just another one of FR's PR stunts, how could anyone possibly believe that the momentarily best way to further increase the profit of an already very profitable company by banning cell phone chargers? Why not eliminate or turning down the heating of their offices, surely that would save them a heck lot more. Think about how silly it sounds, there are many other things to do to save a few pennies or more then banning some employee of charging their phone. How many could that be who do that anyway?

It's either a PR stunt or MoL havent gotten any in a long long while.

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Concerning the treatment of passengers - FR carried over 27 million passengers last year. This figure increases annually. Of those, I would bet £100 that less than .5% of passengers were unhappy to a great extent. We all get frustrated if a flight is delayed or whatever (although FR is a very punctual airline), but I would not class this is being 'unhappy to a great extent.' The truth is, you only hear about bad treatment - never the normal, every-day experiences. Why? Because such stories are more interesting. So use your intelligence and ask yourself this: out of nearly 30 million passengers, how many 'bad stories' have you heard about? Not many. A handful, probably. Also, ask yourself: if it is so bad, why do passenger numbers increase yearly? If the situation was as you state, the reserse would be true. Think about it. It is not a difficult concept to understand.

TriStar500

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:37 pm

Sometimes I wonder, how a company manages to keep competent and motivated employees if it treats them badly... sure you will always find somebody else to fill a vacant position, but bright people, who are sought after, will go for the job with good benefits, positive work ethic and an attractive corporate climate. Incompetent or lazy folks, who don't have choice, have to take every job that is offered to them.

lehovec

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:38 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 40):
It's either a PR stunt

Exactly, my thoughts.
It is always nice to have some free publicity.

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:42 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 40):
there is a difference between doing what needs to be done in order to keep a corporation alive and above the water and "ovedo" it when it is not called for for the survival of the company.

I disagree. You should do whatever you need to do. This cost-cutting measure per se might not save a lot, but collectively (i.e. with other cost-cutting measures) it will. If, say, FR used colour print cartridges, it would, per year, cost far more than using black print cartridges, which do the job perfectly well. It's not so much the individual costs but rather the collective costs.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 39):
To be honest I can't fault FR's business model in so many ways. They do what they do very well and serve their targeted market very well. and they make some serious money. So while some of us may not like their style (or lack of it ), product and way of conducting business - and I'll be the first to admit I'm one of those people - we cannot deny the fact that it works.

Yes.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 39):
Ryanair is only really at risk should it have an accident

Yes. MOL once stated three things that would result in its airline going downhill. An fatal accident was one of them. Low-cost airlines must be seen as being extra safe - there is still, unfortunately, the perception that they cut corners concerning maintenance, which is absurd when an accident could ruin the business.

mika

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:43 pm

Pearson,

This has nothing to do with the passengers, it's the employees that are treated like vermin if the above PR release is accurate. Even then they are probalby treated badly, having to buy their own work uniforms etc.

The fact that FR's passenger numbers increase hence has nothing to do with this and does not proove anyone here wrong or right. The argument is about how FR (MoL) values the people that has built his company and are the very corner stones of it.

lehovec

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:44 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 44):
MOL once stated three things that would result in its airline going downhill. An fatal accident was one of them.

And what are the other two?

mika

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:48 pm

I disagree. You should do whatever you need to do. This cost-cutting measure per se might not save a lot, but collectively (i.e. with other cost-cutting measures) it will. If, say, FR used colour print cartridges, it would, per year, cost far more than using black print cartridges, which do the job perfectly well. It's not so much the individual costs but rather the collective costs.

In a pure economical sense this is true. The question is however to which extent are you going to push profits. Where is the end? Treating people like shit and laugh all the way to the bank when your company already is reaping in the big money? I will never deny the fact that cutting whatever costs IS a profitable way of making business but it IS NOT a humane way of doing business. It all boils down to your view of yourself and other i suppose, and the size of your own ego and greed.

Pe@rson

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:51 pm

Quoting Mika (Reply 45):
it's the employees that are treated like vermin if the above PR release is accurate.

Well, I would first define what "bad treatment" is. If FR is operating within the law, then I see no problem. However, very few - if any - businesses treat their employees faultlessly. Indeed, there is ALWAYS room for improvement in any business.

What's more, I hear that a lot of FR staff can earn more than with other airlines (think Cornish, an aviation consultant, should back me up on this).

Quoting Lehovec (Reply 46):
And what are the other two?

I think one was a nuclear bomb (or something similar) and the other was believe the stuff it comes out with.  Wink

Quoting Mika (Reply 45):
having to buy their own work uniforms

I don't see the problem with this. If I was to become a lawyer, I would have to buy my own suits. The same applies in a lot of jobs/careers.

lehovec

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 48):
Quoting Mika (Reply 45):
having to buy their own work uniforms

I don't see the problem with this. If I was to become a lawyer, I would have to buy my own suits. The same applies in a lot of jobs/careers.

EZY cabin crew have to buy their own uniforms as well. Actually it is deducted from their salary in monthly installments but that is paying for your uniform.