Marambio
Topic Author

Uair Suspends Rosario, Will Start Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:48 am

According to Rosario's newspaper La Capital, Uruguayan low-cost carrier Uair suspended its flights to that Argentine city.

http://www.lacapital.com.ar/2005/04/19/ciudad/noticia_188536.shtml (in Spanish)

Beware, the article says their frequency is 3x daily, while it actually is 3x weekly.

Here is a translation of the article:

U-Air airline, which offered three weekly flights to Montevideo (Uruguay), stopped operating yesterday [18 April 2005] at least until May 25th. The thing is at 14:30 the last aircraft left, bringing to Rosario 12 people, and going back to Uruguay with only 4 passengers onboard.

According to Rosario's Islas Malvinas/Fisherton Airport authorities, the airline suspended the service due to aircraft maintenance. "The director (Esteban Borgonovo) will not comment about this, since it is only a temporary suspension," told La Capital a person close to him.

Nonetheless, faces at the airport were of strong worry. Last year Aerovip airline stopped flying to Rosario apparently for a short period of time, but no aircraft of them has be seen in Rosario since then.

I read a couple of days ago an article in Montevideo's El Observador newspaper, telling they were given rights for Porto Alegre (POA), Asunción (ASU), and Buenos Aires (EZE). According to a member of the board, flying to EZE would mean codesharing with an international airline to other destinations worlwide. The article, in Spanish, can be seen here:

http://www.observa.com.uy/Obuscar/notaarchivo.aspx?id=15137

Personally I don't know what to think. Uair is a strange airline, and last time I read their load-factors were less than 20% in average. It would be interesting to see them at EZE (don't know how they have been doing at AEP), but suspending ROS...well...sounds suspicious. Not that there's a big market from ROS to MVD, but they were the only ones flying the route, with a small-sized aircraft (F100) and continuing to COR.

You never know with Uair.

Have a nice weekend you all.

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

Box37

RE: Uair Suspends Rosario, Will Start Buenos Aires EZE

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:02 am

It smells like they are in trouble, a few days back I read an article that stated they were allowed only 7 frequencies per week AEP-MVD by the Uruguayan government.

Looking at Carrasco operations they are only flying 1 or 2 flights per day, it seems to me they are in a cash crunch, maybe some of the a.netters from Uruguay might have more information

Reading the articles and what the media rep says to the press is classic of a business in trouble, they will not say a word because people will not fly them as they are afraid of getting stuck with no return transportation

PU803

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:43 pm

"Looking at Carrasco operations they are only flying 1 or 2 flights per day"

hi Box37, I can't find a link to Carrasco site.

c u , iddo

Box37

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:39 pm

PU803

The link is
http://www.aic.com.uy/

Good luck

Box

Pu752

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:06 am

I been on UAIR on the MVD-AEP-MVD route, just wanted to try them and I wont be flying back with them, first, the flight delayed 1 hr, and on the way back they said that they cant land at Carrasco because they were not authorized to fly MVD-AEP that day, which is not a good excuse, who knows what were the real reasons, then at 10pm at AEP, the Uair flight to MVD leaved operating AEP-PDP and then those pax took a bus to MVD, and I had to buy another ticket on AR for the 11pm flight to MVD. They just sucks

PU803

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:04 am

hi Box 37. and thanks !!!

Iddo