AmericanPilot
Topic Author

Crew Change

Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:57 pm

I was recently on a UAL 767 flight (SFO-CDG) and was wondering how many flight crew members they had on board. I was seated in the business class cabin and never saw the cockpit door open or anybody get a break. Are the pilots flying for 11 hrs straight or is there only one pilot flying at any time? None of this seems logical.

-Fly safe and have fun!
-Chris  airplane 
Fly safe and have fun!

EMBQA

RE: Crew Change

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:59 pm

That's actually normal as the standard crew duty day is 12 hours. Anything over that is when you'll start to see relief crews on board.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

LordHowe

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:18 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
actually normal as the standard crew duty day is 12 hours

It depends on the company. Finnair pilots are negotiating their times to be lowered from 10 hours to 9.

Captain Meryl tells in her update (Cap'n Meryl's April 5th Update):

"Anything over eight hours requires a relief pilot, and anything over twelve hours requires two relief pilots"

She is flying for United Airlines!

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:25 pm

Quoting AmericanPilot (Thread starter):
I was recently on a UAL 767 flight (SFO-CDG) and was wondering how many flight crew members they had on board. I was seated in the business class cabin and never saw the cockpit door open or anybody get a break. Are the pilots flying for 11 hrs straight or is there only one pilot flying at any time? None of this seems logical.

On 8-12 hour flights, you will typically have 1 Captain and 2 F/Os. Captain and one of the F/Os fly take off and landing. Cruise is basically a rotation with two on duty at any given time.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

CosmicCruiser

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:31 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
That's actually normal as the standard crew duty day is 12 hours

Don't get duty day and block hours confused. I had a duty day of 10+30 and only flew 4+30 just the other day.

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 2):
It depends on the company

Lordhowe is correct. That's fairly standard: anything over 8 BLOCK hours gets 1 RFO; anything over 12 Block hrs. gets 2 RFO.

AmericanPilot
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:33 am

So the RFO just "flys" in curse?

Thanks
-Chris
Fly safe and have fun!

ramerinianair

Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:10 am

Wait, so the relief pilot is certified as a F/O. What does the Captain do or who sits in the left seat when he is on break? Also, how do they figure the PF and the PNF?
Thanks,
Steven
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

CosmicCruiser

Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:38 am

Quoting RamerinianAir (Reply 6):
so the relief pilot is certified as a F/O. What does the Captain do or who sits in the left seat when he is on break? Also, how do they figure the PF and the PNF?
Thanks,

Each airline can/may have a different policy; for us an F/O may fly as an RFO and would occupy the seat in cruise. If 2 RFOs are in the seats usually the seat that was flying still flies. Also the RFO may be placed as the F/O if necessary with an amended release showing the swapped seats.