sunking737

Route Planning

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Ok can someone answer this question, how does someone learn how to do airline route planning and scheduling?

I find this an interesting job and would like to know more about what goes into planning to fly to a new city, and planning the flight schedule.

I once asked someone how they decide were they what to fly, the reply I got was I throw darts at a map and that is were we go. Or another time we fly to places the people want to go.

Can anyone share some information on this ?

Thanks for your time.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

Azul320

RE: Route Planning

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:13 pm

They consult Dispatch
Excuse me, while I kiss the sky

ordpark

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:20 pm

A lot of analysis goes into whether or not you fly to a new city.

You have to look at competition, local population on both ends, demographics etc. You have to decide what kind of traffic you can draw from the other guys and most importantly, can you make money doing it.

It really isn't the kind of job you can step into, you move into it as you get experience in the industry. A good stepping stone would be inventory management and a good place to get some basic experience would be customer service...

N77014

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:25 pm

If you are talking about schedule planning, there are two sides to the coin.

Often, it is the airport people themselves who come knocking on the door. They will bring glossy brochures, slick sales presentations and powerpoint displays to convince airlines that they are worth a second look. Another venue is the air route convention, where airport managers and airline executives mingle and discuss these affairs.

Other times, the market is so obvious that the only hindrance is equipment type, such as CO's EWR-HKG or SQ's SIN-EWR.

After preliminary discussion, the airline prepares a route analysis. This covers everything from market analysis, a study of the airport facilities, appropriate aircraft for the market, frequency, analysis of the competition, etc. Then the decision is made to open the route. Advertising, signing leases for terminal use, preparing air route data then follows. Then the route is announced, fares become available for pruchase...you know the rest.
A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies...

6thfreedom

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:55 pm

Quoting N77014 (Reply 3):
After preliminary discussion, the airline prepares a route analysis. This covers everything from market analysis, a study of the airport facilities, appropriate aircraft for the market, frequency, analysis of the competition, etc

In this section you could probably add scheduling, slot constraints, connectivity to/from other markets at each end of the sector and/or intermediate point...

as stated earlier, route planning is a very complex exercise, and one which involves a lot of cost benefit analysis, as there is almost never a scenario where all components can work simultaneously.

sunking737

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm

Thanks for the information, very interesting.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

patroni

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:04 pm

Being in Route Planning myself I can second the postings above. I don't think that there is a kind of training course which makes you a route planner. There are too many components which play a role, from the commercial, operational, financial and political side. So it is certainly the best to get experience in areas like marketing, crew planning, dispatch or accounting etc. first.

Cheers,
Tom

Xkorpyoh

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:00 am

I envy you PAtroni!. that is my dream job!. I have always have the impulse of drawing route maps of imagenery airlines in utopian lands and star figuring out the frequency, type of planes, size of the cities..etc.. i hope one day i could get there  Smile