richierich

EasyJet Intra-France Flight(s)

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 am

I noticed easyJet flies Paris-Orly to Toulouse and Nice and from Paris-CDG to Nice.
When did they begin intra-France flights? Did they have any legal hurdles to overcome when applying for these routes (I am assuming they had to apply for them).
Does anyone have any comments on this service?
None shall pass!!!!

TimRees

RE: EasyJet Intra-France Flight(s)

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:21 am

Any EU airline can start any EU route...hence EZY and RYR have bases all over Europe with many intra-EU routes. Don't suppose they'd ever fill all their aircraft if they were based in their home country only.

It's a little like 'open-skies' in the USA.

flybeq400

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:26 am

TimRees, that was also my understanding of the situation. But occasionally you have things like:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=05&month=apr&story=rte-en-200405

Where it appears like the airline has to apply for some form of permission to operate the route?

N1120A

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:31 am

Quoting FlyBeQ400 (Reply 2):
Where it appears like the airline has to apply for some form of permission to operate the route?

Might have something to do with the flights going to Sardinia

Quoting Richierich (Thread starter):
I noticed easyJet flies Paris-Orly to Toulouse and Nice and from Paris-CDG to Nice.
When did they begin intra-France flights? Did they have any legal hurdles to overcome when applying for these routes (I am assuming they had to apply for them).

Under EU open skies, they are totally authorized to run these routes. The only thing they really needed was slots at ORY
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TimRees

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting FlyBeQ400 (Reply 2):
FlyBeQ400

Hmmmm. Is this authorisation just a formality? Maybe our Italian colleagues could explain this?

varig md-11

Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:39 am

it was not really a formality for EZ since they were spread between ORY and CDG agaisnt their will.
officially, lack of slots at ORY is the reason but EZ complained at the time that AF was behind all this to prevent EZ from becoming too competitive at ORY

example: AF flies ORY-NCE every 1/2 hour , la navette in Francais  Smile
if EZ had been allowed to concentrate all its NCE flights in ORY, that would have been a thorn in AF's heel (though small thorn in big heel....) therefore the suspicion of forcing EZ to spread some flights between ORY and CDG to make them weaker.

otherwise EZ service from CDG to NCE I used quite often: reliable and nothing to complain about...even CDG3 (EZ terminal, but also housing all charter flights) which has been renewed and modified compared to the hangar it was in the past is nowadays acceptable.
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

chilledflyer

Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:45 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 3):
Under EU open skies, they are totally authorized to run these routes. The only thing they really needed was slots at ORY

I suppose 'open skies' is a term which could be used loosely.

It is part of the Four Freedoms fundamentally enshrined in the establishment of the European Union in order to achieve and complete the aim of creating a Single Market.
Justice delayed, Justice denied