venuscat2

GRR-DEN Fares

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:55 am

Just curious if anyone knows if fares might go down between GRR and DEN for early August. I'm currently showing about $370 r/t (versus $175 from ORD). I'm thinking about purchasing a ticket from ORD, but don't want to be kicking myself all the way to Chicago if it would go lower out of GRR.

I remember last year there was a fare for $179 from GRR to DEN in late July. Do fares generally go down closer to the date?

luv2fly

RE: GRR-DEN Fares

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:59 am

I would say most likely not as low as what is being offered from ORD. Remember that CHI has Frontier that flies from MDW and also the ATA/WN doe share. Though you might look at FNT as AirTran flies out of FNT and you might find a better fare and not have to drive as far as CHI.
You can cut the irony with a knife

venuscat2

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:09 am

Right. I've figured in about $75 in extra costs (gas and parking fees) associated with driving to ORD, so to make it worthwhile to fly out of GRR it would have to be $250 or below.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:17 am

This summer, I would venture to say the fares are not going to significantly drop out of GRR, LAN, etc. With high loads, high fuel costs, and airlines raising the prices on their lowest price tickets. $370 r/t about as low as it will be. It may drop to about $330 at the lowest, but don't look for any huge sale. Now that Chicago Express is gone, you can't get to DEN on ATA from GRR. Either way, you won't see a ticket for less than $250 this summer, not gonna happen.

Even at DTW, where NW will no be competing with F9, fares are going for $315 r/t on both NW & F9. Back when NW competed with Spirit on DTW-DEN, the cheapest fare I ever got was $290.

$75 in extra costs is pretty good, I would venture its higher than that for gas, tolls, and parking at any CHI airport.

AGrayson514

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:31 am

The higher fuel prices and loss of our single lcc in GRR, you can expect to pay a bit more...unless something miraculously changes. The discussion of a LCC at GRR is as alive as ever.

Someone told me once that Southwest had even considered coming to GRR, but only if they could have 70% or so of the capacity out of GRR, which of course is impossible with NW already carrying nearly that much. That could just be a roumor, seeing as I never heard anything more about it, but I DO know that the Aeronautics board is looking into more incentives for new airlines...but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Give a little bit...

CALMSP

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:50 am

i can asure you WN has not been in talks with GRR............

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos