FITPilot
Topic Author

Who Will Buy The Shares In Thai?

Wed Apr 12, 2000 5:53 am

I recently read in Aviation Week that the Thai government has finally decided to sell ten percent of THAI to a "partner airline". The article says THAI will be staying with Star so that probably limits the buyer to another Star airline. It says that Lufthansa is high on the list. However, do you think its possible for a strong airline from another alliance to offer THAI a good deal and at the same time convince them to change alliances? Even though THAI has publicly said it will stay with Star it is no secret that THAI is still not very happy SIA's induction into the group. Just a thought. What do you guys think?

ZRH

RE: Who Will Buy The Shares In Thai?

Wed Apr 12, 2000 6:50 pm

I read somewhere that SAir-Group is probably intrested in Thai. I think in this case Thai would not stay any longer a member of Star.

sndp

Wed Apr 12, 2000 7:05 pm

You are right, ZRH, SR is indeed very interested in a share in THAI. As you know, Thai is not at all happy with SIA entering STAR, actually a rival of Thai. Therefore Thai is looking to other partners. SR is said to be a serious candidate. SR and Thai have signed a code-share agreement covering all the flights between Switserland and Thailand. And as SR is still looking for a strong Asian partner (althought they say they just want to have agreements on routes, not on a whole region in Asia) they would be very interested.
sndp

Tg 747-300

Thu Apr 13, 2000 1:27 am

Will this mean that Thai will change their profile?
I hope the passengers don't will see any changes when they flies Thai, bacause the airline is so great (it can't be better)
Personaly I hope SAS will by the 10% because SAS and thai was very close tied in the 70's I think (thai used SAS planes etc...)

Tg 747-300
intentionally left blank

sndp

Thu Apr 13, 2000 3:29 am

Tg 747-300
You could be right that SAS will buy a stake in Thai but SAS is also a member of STAR and at this very moment THAI has a little bit a problem with STAR as SIA is entering the alliance. The question about SR is however, whether Thai finds SR and the Qualiflyer Group strong enough to cooperate with. Maybe Thai hopes to be part of Wings, as this alliance is also looking for an Asian partner I thought. Or would Thai joine Delta-AF?
Anyone who would like to comment on these questions?
sndp

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos